Chocolate as a pre-workout meal... thoughts?

Before working out yesterday I had a LOT of chocolate. A few Kit-Kat bars to be exact.

After about an hour I was itching to go run. As it turns out, I felt like I had more energy and drive going through my workout than in days past when I either went on an empty stomach or had a healthy meal.

Is this a placebo effect or is there something to chocolate and sugar in general being a good pre-workout meal?

Most Helpful Guy

• Contracting muscles use sugar as their primary fuel source, you were not experiencing a placebo. Contracting muscles can pull sugar out of the blood stream as well as stored sugars very rapidly in order to burn. While this is good, it is unwise to load up on really sweet foods prior to a workoout because it's only good for short periods of time and not long term and anytime there is a spike in your blood sugar levels isn't very good. Remember, carbs (bread, pasta, etc) are sugars chained together, you're better off consuming those for energy rather than eating copius amounts of Kit-Kat.

• Kit kats have carbs right? You know, the wafers... Two birds... yeah.

Good answer.

GAG Video of the Day

Would you date someone younger/older/married?

What Girls Said 10

• I got nothin'... Could be the sugar, but simple sugars in candy bars typically aren't good before a workout. Could be a placebo effect.

So, I don't know. Sorry!

I do love my chocolate, though. :P And chocolate milk post-workout=heaven.

• Still an informative answer even though you didn't know LOL.

• I don't think that is a particularly good idea. But to each his own.

Smoothies would be my choice.

• i think its because the sugar in the chocolate gives you a high amount of temporary energy. you should try making yourself a fruit salad or smoothie... with fruits like berries and oranges but no bananas

• It's good to have a high carb meal before a workout but chocolate isn't the best thing to have try something else that's a bit easier to work off

• I do it sometimes. I don't eat a lot of chocolate, just half a hersheys bar with almonds. Sorry I can't give you any explanations. It just pumps me up enough. There are better choices, but sometimes I don't have healthy alternatives, or I just want some chocolate.

• Lol 1/2 of a Hershey bar. That's blasphemous.

• Ha some of us have self-control. And besides, I'm shorter so I should eat less.

More from Girls
5

What Guys Said 2

• If you keep it up you'll find yourself passed out in a puddle of your own watery excretion. And there are unpleasant affects as well.