I held the door open for a man and he said "no" and made me go through first. What's the deal?!

Why can't I open the door for a man?

I find this very peculiar !

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 24

• You should be flattered!

He beleives being a gentleman means you never enter a room before a lady if you are at the door at the same time. Men, rather gentleman are taught to open doors, pull out chairs, hold your hand as you cross the street, etc. For some men these teachings are so ingrained that they can experience an almost paralysis when the order is not followed.

But it shouldn't be particularly peculiar. He has manners and adheres to them. You should be flattered!

...either that or he wanted to get a glimps of your butt (haha but probably not)

• Either he's very old school about ladies first, or he just wanted to check out your behind, personally, when I do this, it's to check out girls' behinds.

• He was probably really old fashioned. So he believes in men holding the door open for women. It is peculiar but I feel the same way, I allways open or hold a door for a woman. Of course if a woman were to open a door for me I wouldn't say no. If anything I would just say thank you or that's OK you go first. But I don't think the man you held the door for meant anything by "no" he just preferred to be the one holding the door and not the woman. That's my best guess at least. If I'm wrong he could of just been having a bad day.

• I do the same. It's called "chivalry". Some men refuse to let women lift things over 10 pounds or open doors in their vicinity. I'm an advocate of "Ladies first" as many men are.

• lol I liked what 'confusedashell91' says and she deserves the BA lol

But on a serious note I'll answer this as it's something that has been a deep rooted principle with me ever since I realized my senses :D I'd hold a door open for a lady / woman anytime immaterial of her age or social status as I'd do for someone senior in age too immaterial of their gender.

For one it's Chivalry (I'm kind of victorian with that aspect of life) and I think every lady deserves to be treated like one and this has nothing to do with treating or not treating a woman as an equal. I think women are as equal to everyone it's just that we all have different roles to play as ordained by nature.

I also offer lifts to older people when I see them walking in the direction I'm heading (there are times when I go exactly the opposite direction too - if I can and time permits). I don't offer lifts to ladies unless they ask or they are way too old for the plain fear of being mistaken for something else lol

I also stand up when a lady walks into my chamber or table - lots of people laugh / mock at this but it's OK those are my values

More from Guys
19

What Girls Said 8

• Depends on how old he is/you are.

There are a couple reasons I can think of 1) You have a nice ass.

2) He's VERY traditional

3) He doesn't like people behind him

4) He's very superstitious

5) His entire plan was to make you spend the rest of your day thinking about him. (It worked, too)

• Chivalry! I love chivalrous guys

• He was being a gentleman. Well brought-up men hold doors open for women.

• He wants to see your ass

• the guy I liked for 4 years didn't hold the door for me he just took off to talk to some guy #brokenheart

More from Girls
3