• Ask
  • myTake

Why do we have public schools or large schools at all?

we have high speed internet & all kinds of visual communication devices so why send kids to school 5 days a week? if kids really need 1on1... Show More

wow I'm amazed at how quickly people have stated that public school is just daycare...not that I disagree but I'm shocked it happened so quickly
there are plenty of other ways that kids socialize outside of school so that's not really a good answer... you know like going out to play, joining clubs/organizations, walking over to the neighbor kids house and saying hey lets play...

Most Helpful Opinion

• Kids don't go to their neighbor's houses anymore. They sit in front of the xbox, yell racist obscenities, and tune everything out. Public schools are for the most part, a daycare.

What Guys Said 14

• It's good way into socializing with other people, and develop self-esteem. Some children are very shy, and school is a good training field.

• Social skills nowadays are SEVERELY lacking as it is due to overuse of technology over in-person socialization. Taking away the in-person interactions of public school would only accelerate the rate of social retardation.

• Socialization.

• School is not just for learning from textbooks.Its crucial for a child's development and integration into society.

• Do you live under a rock? That's the dumbest excuse I ever heard against schools.Kids can do both. And "plenty" is not suffice for a 300mil population of people with different economic conditions and intellect.

• see voit3's answers and comments. they sum up what you are saying and the role of most public schools in childrens lives

• I have a few thoughts here.First, not everyone has high speed internet. The Appalachian area of the U.S. is larglely lacking, for example. I can tell you that the FCC is trying to change that with the National Broadband Plan, though.Second, not everyone has a computer. Think of children growing up in the ghetto or the children growing up in trailer parks.Third, I think powerful teachers' unions prevent a scenerio like what you're describing from taking place. A teacher could record a lesson plan on a webcam once and could be played for all the students. This would take an hour or so to record and would replace having that teacher in a physical classroom for a full workday teaching four or five classes. This would probably cut down on work hours for teachers, and therefore their salaries. The unions would have something to say about that. (Plus would one day a week really be enough to help students with their questions? What if the student has a question because they don't understand something at the beginning of the lesson? They're going to be lost for the entire rest of the lesson, and wouldn't be able to ask their question until 'Question Day'.)Fourth, education is a political issue. Any politician proposing a system like this would immediately come under attack by their opponent as not caring about "our hard working middle class teachers" and not caring about the young students. (Politicans like to spin things.) Also, going to a system like this would probably result in a reduction in tax revenue alloted towards education. The system would actually need less revenue, true, but that wouldn't matter to the people running the education system. Money is power, and they would just care that the amount of physical dollars they're seeing is being reduced.Fifth, how would you do phys ed online?I do think an education system like this will eventually happen, but we're probably 10-25 years away from seeing it come to fruition. And the people who say that the education system is daycare probably aren't that far off.

• The internet has its place in teaching, but it cannot replace the public schools.Think of the American West in its early years. Many of the parents could not spell, read, do math, etc. Educated teachers were brought in to do the job. After school, children learned at home by helping with the work at home.Today, parents are better educated, but as each new technology arrives, better educated teachers than the parents are needed to pass on the new concepts.So in many ways, hooking the children to the internet sounds like an ideal answer. But it is not. Kids have short attention spans and their minds wander easily. A recorded program could not see this happening, and a live teacher would have to have so many students at one time he/she could not see what individuals are doing. The classroom offers a place where the teachers and students can interact. That two way street is necessary and cannot be duplicated on the internet.Today's economics prevent single wage earning parents. Most households have to have two incomes (sometimes three and four). Taking one income away just to sit and be present while the child is on the computer is not sensible or economically feasible.Good teachers at schools are much more effective in teaching young minds.Arguments on here include "I didn't learn sh*t in school, all my learning I did on my own outside of school". All my life I have known people like this, many in classes I took. The majority of the students learned well and went on to do well in life. But some just would not learn. Many fought the system, while some others had learning disabilities beyond the teachers abilities. Schools are getting better with the disabilities part, but those kids would be even further lost with one track on-line learning.Then there are the arguments about propaganda and programming. Really? What political bull is being fed in math classes? English? Science? And even in other types of classes that might be open to it, I have not seen it. But if you want to see kids that have been programmed, look amongst the home schooled, where you can find many who have had their parents' biases crammed into them daily. The home schooled do not get a chance to hear any other views. While most of the home schooled kids' parents are doing their best, that is still where more problems can occur with "programming".As I said, internet teaching would fail more kids. For the older student, with a true interest in learning as much as possible and more likely to have a way of questioning the learning, it is great. I have used it and was happy. But it will not work well for younger kids.

• Our teachers are better educated then the parents?I had to tell my 10 year old last week that she was correct and her teacher was indeed confused when her teacher told her 'maybe there was oxygen in space'

• Show Older
    • Didn't ask them. But ALL states require a minimum of a bachelor's degree, and many require additional studies beyond the bachelor's degree. I have met only a very few teachers that seemed lacking in knowledge of school subjects, but I have met many, many parents who have strange "knowledge". (Did you know that WWII was started by the US bombing Pearl Harbor?)

• ive met a couple that were a little questionable on general knowledge but not really lacking in the things they were teaching from a book... I heard ww2 started when the italians bombed long island lol

• I think socialization is an extremely important part of school. I probably got as much, if not more, valuable skills from that in my time in school. It's important to be thrown into a pool of all different types of people that you didn't pick and choose to interact with, because that's how the adult work world is. One of the worst things going on with the under-25 crowd is the lack of face to face communication. Everyone is just texting and face booking...you don't even have live phone conversations anymore. Show me a kid in their teens or early 20s, and I'll show you someone with their head down, texting constantly, oblivious to the world around them. I used to manage a bunch of college kids, and they acted like you were violating their civil rights if you told them to put their phone away at work. And I'm not a square, I would go out drinking with them after work, I'm not some old dork. But the lack of human interaction will be the downfall of western society, mark my words. Every homeschooled kid I ever met was a little "off" socially. Also, the average person is an idiot, and those idiots often have kids. Probably not a good idea to rely on them for education, it's bad enough they're raising kids to begin with.

• its not just the under 25 crowd. I've been a server and it was ridiculous how people can't put their phone away for a whopping 3-6 hrs. its sad that most people my age are clueless to their surroundings.as for home schooled kids, they are 'off' because their parents are 'off' and are usually afraid of their kids being exposed to the 'evils' of the world...

• That's funny, I was managing a bar/restaurant. They'd be on the floor texting from inside their aprons like they were slick, haha. Good point about homeschooling parents too.

• let me just stare down at my hands in my apron for 5 mins...thats not obvious lol.

• It teaches independance away from home. Too much of your parents all day every day is probably not a good thing. It provides you real world social skills more than anything else.The stuff you 'learn' in school is only 50% of what you are getting. The social interaction, ability to interact with different peer groups and be successful on your own is the other 50% and what you will use the rest of your life. Ten years after high school you will forget the symbol for Rhodidium and you won't be able to do a double integral - but you will remember how to handle the bully at work and how to make friends with a new employee.

• If you're talking about the US, it's because the parents go off to work and the state finds the veil of education to be the best solution to running a government daycare center. Also, human beings need to be broken in so they don't question the way things are. The best place to brainwash is in a scenario like Lord Of The Flies, when minds are shaping. This is the purpose of shunning independent thought as an unpopular thing of derelict failures, big state schools is where this is programmed.

• good answer...

• very true.

• To build relationships IN REAL LIFE. Yes REAL LIFE experiences. It goes fr beyond education. It's all about life experience

• I used to go to a public school it was crowded but now I go to a private school and it is much better one on one with the teachers. Also public school teachers get paid more than private school teachers! I don't know why I would rather have private school then public

• oh yeah, kids that are in primary school are going to sit by themselves at home in front of a screen and focus and learn something new and hard. At noon they'll also prepare their lunch, go take a walk and come back home for the afternoon session. lol I mean seriously?

• so school is just day care

• Show Older
    • yes it went quite well. taught my neice how to do multiplication when she was having a hard time with it and she said got the highest grade in the class (an A) because of it. so...

• great, go and be a teacher in a nice big school now

• They put you into school because you need some interaction. You need to engage with people so you know how to act around them. Everybody knows this duh!

• ever go outside & play or join any clubs/sports? if school is/was your only interaction with other people then I'm sorry for you

• The kind of interaction we usually see in compulsory school buildings is more about conditioning children to the negative sides of interaction more than learning the positive, especially in poorly designed school systems like in the US. It's like children are supposed to receive all this shielding except in this case, and it's acceptable. Old people sometimes think it's good for kids but that's because when they went to school with dinosaurs it was a lot different than the clusterf*** it is now.

What Girls Said 6

• Are you out of your mind? You think kids would do sh*t at home? I personally would like to think that I'd be too lazy to do any assignment online. You seriously think kids would watch videos of teachers explaining? As for the comfortable environment, I'd probably sleep throughout the "Online recordings" with my headphones on. And seriously one day of school? I'd skip that day. Trust me no-one would show up.How am I supposed to meet people too? I mean don't get me wrong, I love my mom doesn't mean I want her for a bff.

• To interact with the children on a personal level is my guess.

• totally agree. They want kids in school so they don't worry about them on the streets... basically its like day care... I didn't learn sh*t in school, all my learning I did on my own outside of school, I never trusted the info they taught us, especially history.

• i will say that I did learn some in school but the majority of the time was a waste even though there were a few good teachers that actually taught but I was in honors or AP classes for those teachers

• The main focus of our great new technology(like ipads) should be teaching kids, save money on text books with e books, have a teacher who can broadcast to millions of kids using Skype, have education video games that are actually fun... then have a classroom to meet at every now and then for labs, also with all the money saved go on field trips, more hands on learning... and less sitting in desks starring at the clock!

• you have great ideas and the hands on field trip learning is one of the best learning methods, if not the best. it would be great if the awesome teachers were able to teach more kids like you mention and it would help the entire world. I'm in agreement on only having classroom meetings like 1x a week using half the day for homework help and the other half for hands on learning like in labs.

• ive taken many biology classes, psychology and studied evolution, and socialization is vital for human survival, even more so for species survival. socializing with others helps you grow mentally, and without it people would have more mental illnesses, psychiatric problems, more people would go out and start shooting innocent people like we see on the news these days, its all a mental conflict they have with themselves that stems from lack of social development.

• and lack of social interaction/development of kids is due to lack of good parenting... parents let the TV be the babysitter instead of telling their kids to go play outside but I guess if a kid is outside he's going to be molested, abducted, killed, etc. ive also studied bio & psyc and lack of socialization is not the root cause of mental illness...it can affect a person to make them socially awkward but it doesn't cause someone to be aggressive or not value human life.

• i think you're contradicting yourself...

• there is some sarcasm...

• If you live in a rural environment like I do (I live in Mississippi) then school is really the only place to meet new people to interact with. I understand that real states (to me Mississippi barely qualifies) have organizations in place to help with that (a friend of mine used to send her kid to this sort of group P.E. everyday where the kids exercised together), but in places that they don't it's a real issue. Where I live you can't just go to a neighbor's house (I mean you can, but you might get run over while you're walking down there). There are very few neighborhoods here and even in "closely packed" neighborhoods houses are still barely within an acre and a half of each other. Most of the time houses here are a good 5 acres away from each other and that's not even factoring in the fact that the person who lives next to you may or may not have kids. Oh, and there's no sidewalks here.Also, when kids are with their parents all the time that's not good for them. They need to spend some time away from home to help to develop their own personalities. Plus, online school is expensive (at least in Mississippi. I know it's free in Florida, but Florida is a real state).

• Who would baby sit the kids when the parents are working? Duh.