When you hear that people are going to be fired

How do you react?

What do you think?

Do you worry it is you?

If you think or actually know who, do you say something?

One of my co-workers just msg'd me that at least 2 people are going to be fired tomorrow..

I'm so nervous now...

So, it didn't happen that week..

But that Monday after, the guy who gave me the heads up, got canned...

and 2 weeks later, the guy that was my "in" for my job, got canned...

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 4

What Guys Said 23

• I've only heard when specific people were about to get fired, because I was friends with my manager before he quit and moved to another city. I knew my coworker was going to get fired because he would never wear gloves when he was cooking. My other coworker got fired because he went on vacation for a week even though he was scheduled, because he forgot to tell our boss he was going on vacation. It helps me know what to do in order to not get fired, so I think it's kind of good.

• sad, nervous, scared hoping its not me. but I feel sad for those people have mouths to feed and bills to pay.

• I get nervous

I wonder who they're going to fire

Yes, I worry it's me

No I don't, because they'd be awfully tensed if I did say that to them and I'd much rather enjoy seeing them hurl a potted plant at the person who is firing them instead of me. (Ignorance is sort of a bliss)

It's normal to be nervous but quite frankly it won't help. Just try and distract yourself from it. Just relax, stay calm. It won't help if you get all tensed and inattentive at your work place.

Evaluate the job you've done. If it's good enough or better then there are chances you won't get laid off.

If you do get fired, don't get very upset thinking it's the end of everything. take it in your stride. Almost everyone gets fired at some point in life.

Don't spend a lot of money until you find out who has been fired. You'll need the money incase you do get fired.

Good luck!

• I feel sad. :(

• Selected as most helpful

If it's somebody I dislike, I silently cheer.

If it's somebody I like, I think "Damn I'll miss them."

If it's me, I think "WTF? I'm the best employee they have!" (Which is usually true)

• That's tough. I remember feeling guilty when I was a bit younger and we had gone through layoffs and I got to keep my job and others got either reduced hours or lost their jobs completely. I didn't have kids or a mortgage that a lot of them had.

Fast forward to now I have a mortgage and a pregnant wife so the idea of one of us losing our jobs is horrifying. Since I work for the schools, layoffs always seem to be around the corner. I always freak out a little even though I've got 12 years of seniority. Try not to think about it too much... It'll drive you crazy.

Good luck!

• Well in my current work, I would never be worried about hearing whether someone is going to be fired. First reason is because I have very good friendship with my head manager and she favours me and a few others over the rest of the staff. The second reason is because if I was going to get fired my head manager, being a close friend, would have given me at least a heads up before she terminates my contract.

• I've been in a position that I can do something about it always so it's never been a worry. Cause if I were worried about things rather than giving solutions I wouldn't be where I am :)

When in a board meeting people are asked to be laid off for financial and market situations, I've always asked as to how much business volume is required so that these people may be retained and luckily I've always managed to get that volume and more to ensure people are not sacked.

But if ever I were in a situation where I know someone is being fired somewhere for the same reasons as above and I can't do anything about it including offering him / her a job I'd surely not feel good about it.

However, if the people being fired are for sabotage, wilful non performance, undermining colleagues etc I ensure that I send a note to any prospective employer too about them - better him/her than some innocent elsewhere.

• At my current job, I would never worry about it being me. I think it would ultimately depend on who was getting fired. My manager fired a guy about two weeks ago. The kid would routinely show up to work late or stoned. He was inconsistent in his reasons for missing work, i.e., he told one co-worker that he had to miss work for a fashion show, but then told the manager that he had a funeral to go to (both being for the same day of work). I was bittersweet about it. The kid was useless at our store, but I on the other hand, being the punctual and reliable fellow I am, had to pick up his slack. During the Christmas shopping season. In a retail store.

There's a difference between getting fired and getting laid off. If you are a good and reliable worker, I wouldn't worry.

• Relax... The fact you are worried means you are trying hard. They would write you up or give you a poor review if it was you... Just do your job and be a pro about it. Ya know... "stay classy San Diego!" =)

• I've been here over a year now, and no review yet.. the last two people fired, had never been written up.. They were just paid a weeks wage for each year they had worked there...

• Don't betray any confidence given to you by your co-worker.

There is little to be gained by giving a colleague advance notice in any event.

it"s only natural to be nervous...

consider becoming self-employed at some stage... it has lots of stresses but being fired isn't one of them!;)

• I'd likely want to fire me...

• Hope it went okay.

• The Service Manager was sick today, so nothing happened.. so now people are all edgy for tomorrow

• I'm a people person, so no matter how busy I might be, I always take a few minutes to stop and ridicule them.

• Bummer. Good for you tho.

• I go and tell them your ass is getting fired you dumb f***.

• I worry but not too much. My work quality is always good and I also have no impact on the future if I worry

• You should only fear or be nervous if you have a reason to. If you feel like you didn't do your job right and there's a potential of you being fired it could just be true.

• 1. I think - the jerks above that navigated all of us to these rocks should sink with their ship instead of saving their own jobs by firing the underlings that just do what they are told.

2. I immediately look for another job, no matter how small & share leads with these poor guys ... if they will share with me.

3. I don't quit just yet.

4. I investigate other careers that are more stable or at least recession proof & start moving that direction.

• You should be nervous if your not doing your job right, if you are then I don't see why you should be worried

• I usually ask questions from the higher up people and do my part on persuading them to re-think their options.

I've got the power to do so :)

• Why?

Why don't you self evaluate yourself. If you know youve been doing your work, and you know your done an amazing job, then why are you allow this to bug you.

But if you feel like you haven't been doing your work to your full 100% potential. Then you might have something to worry about..

Even if they let you go, I'm pretty sure your a good employee and your boss will have no issue with helping you out of your next job, not finding it, but reference wise.

Another thing, they can't just "fire" you. Its called "downsizing" and they will most likely give you a pay out package. That's how big corporations work. Getting fired involves you calling in sick all the time, being a bad employee, and not completing your tasks.

• yea, well still they can't just fire you. Its called downsizing. And if they are downsizing, they wouldn't hire more people. They would deligate the work of the people to the ones that werent let go.

Just relax over there. I'm sure your fine. And you will be getting a package if they let you go. That's how it works, small or big company. You can't just fire someone for no reason. Doesnt work like that.

• I don't work in a big corporation.. apparently the new people have already been hired..

• I might celebrate depending on who is getting let go.

• I just had a dream that I was working in an office and everyone got fired, and I was cleaning out my desk.

Firing people sucks, but it's part of business. I've had to do it many times. It's even harder if they are decent employees and you just don't have the work/money to keep them. It's not AS hard if they are crappy employees, but it still sucks.

I don't know the situation, but hopefully YOUR job isn't at risk.

• Feel bad for them...

• How do you react?

- Just another day... I will say I hope it is my boss.

What do you think?

- Nothing, life goes on.

Do you worry it is you?

- Nope, it doesn't worry me to lose my job... it's just a job.

- No.

• I always laugh at them as there packing there belongings. I tell them have a nice time feeding your children now.

• Show More