How complex would this be? (basic electronics)

How complicated a circuit would you need for this to work? A simple, hollow cube, each side with about 25 LEDS on it (looking a little like a... Show More

Thank you for all the help :) Searching those things will really help me. I have no knowledge of electronics at all, but we've been set a lighting project at university. We don't have to make any of the electronics or make it work, but we need to be able to prove that it *would* work if made in industry / had more knowledge. These links and equipment stuff really helps, thank youuuu

Most Helpful Opinion

• You can use software or hardware (like almost any other circuit).

Unfortunately I've forgotten most of my electronics.

You'll be working with some kind of shift register. Look up things like Johnson counters, ring counters, sequential logic, etc. You might even check combinational logic for a semi-random affect.

You will need some sort of clock, like an oscillator, frequency generator, or something simple like a "triple nickle" (search 555 timer).

You can use simple RC networks for short time periods like 15 minutes. For long term timing up to 4-5 hours might be a little trickier. I've forgotten most of this stuff and can't think of anything off the top of my head for long term timing other than a processor or a counter combined with a 555.

• link

link

You do NOT need to understand the technical details for the shift registers, etc. You are concerned about their function, not how they work internally.

If you know a little programming just think of shift registers as the hardware equivalent of a rotate command.

• You might check this out too. It's kind of a cheap all-in-one processor that's pretty versatile.

link