• Ask
  • myTake

Why do my earrings turn green and gunky?

This is kinda gross but bear with me. I have a large collection of costume jewelry. Nothing elaborate or expensive, but just cute stuff I like to wear. After several wears, I notice that my earrings will turn green and develop a green film on it over time. I never sleep in my earrings and I always take them out at the end of the day. I shower daily and yes, I wash my ears. I am not dirty so why does this keep happening and what can I do to prevent it?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• There is copper in them. That's how copper reacts to skin & sweat. It turns green.Unfortunately there's nothing you can do.

What Guys Said 2

What Girls Said 1

• because you touch them with water, paint them with clear nail polish, I have heard that works. It is because they are costume and not sterling silver, real gold etc. so just paint them with clear nail polish it should work. The fact that they are fake and then sweating or any kind of way they are getting wet turns them and your ears green!