Amazon Prime Air - good or bad idea?

I was watching the news this morning and heard about Amazon Prime Air. Apparently, the idea is that Amazon would deliver your purchases to you via drone, in as little as 30 minutes in some cases.

link

Do you like this idea? Why or why not?

This question has a poll!

• I think it's cool. Vote A
  • I don't like the idea of drones everywhere. Vote B
  • I don't like the idea of so many job losses. Vote C
  • I don't like it for another reason. (please explain) Vote D
  • I don't care, I go with the flow. Vote E
Side note - For site related news and updates, you can check my profile. I keep the About Me section updated with new changes, as many are happening these days :-)

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I think it's absolutely brilliant. I've been in the RC heli hobby for awhile now and I even owned one for awhile. There stable and completely capable to do what amazon intends to do with them. This isn't new technology at all and is perfectly capable of handling for this sort of endeavor. I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for people to consider it. It's probably been viable for a number of years now.

They could even increase the range for lighter packages. Double up the li-po bats, add a couple thousand mahs and your good to go. You can get recreational quad copters that will fly for more then two hours so... there are definite improvements to be made on the 10mile radius.

My one concern is... computers do sometimes crash and experience hick-ups. It's unavoidable. I've been downed while flying RCs many times at no fault of my own. They'd need to put on some sort of housing for the props otherwise risk injuring someone... although admittedly when they crash it's nothing catastrophic... don't be expecting severed heads or big explosions.

And for anyone whose concern is the danger aspect... I've been hit by flailing RC copters before; more then once. I've never needed anything other the stitches and in any case... the more advanced quads come with safety features in case of failure to avoid completely destroying what can be an investment upwards of 10,000 in hobby grade alone; not commercial grade.

• No you didn't, haha! I'm glad it sparked conversation... that is the point, after all :-)

• p.s. sorry sparrow... looking at this question it appears as if I hi-jacked it from you :)

• And in any case... everything needed for these things to fly is found on board the craft, aside from as you pointed out, the positioning system. They literally carry the computer with them. There not being guided remotely.

I know these things are not necessarily mainstream and many people might think of this as new technology, and while I'm sure some of it is new tech, for the most part everything being used is years developed.

• Show Older

What Guys Said 19

• I like the idea, but it's way too early to start criticizing it yet.

I read that it'll probably be out and about in 5 years ... that's more than enough time to improve it.

• People will start losing jobs and the unemployment is already at an historic high.

And how is this thing going to survive a tornado!? How is it going to even know there is a tornado?

• i think is cool because it makes it easier for consumers to get their product fast ?but I can not enjoy that, because I live in CHina now.

• i think is cool because it makes it easier for consumers to get their product fast and secure.

now that bad thing I see is that is obviously gonna take away employment from those delivery guys, not just from amazon themselves but from the ups, fed ex, etc. not only will they lose their job and starve to death but its also gonna affect the economy big time. another thing is how will that work for people like me who live in apartment complexes? will that thing knock on my window? and is that thing weather proof? will it still manage to deliver your package through a big storm?

• Its Dumb and Stupid to be honest I can see it now Amazon drones shot down one by one from the military thinking its some type of terrorists attack then there's that feeling of the package getting lost, or stolen timezone's and lastly the weather.

• I think it's a WONDERFUL idea, and frankly it sounds like a much, much better use of drone technology. Dropping packages at my doorstep instead of bombs overseas = awesomeness.

• million dollar question...can this drone ring the doorbell? :D

I think it is boh funny and cool. Funny because I can imagine hysterical faces on people who see it fly by. I would also imagine that people stealing the drones would be something else that should be a concern.

However, at the end of the day I want the no-tax when you buy on amazon.com back. I couldn't care less about same day shipping...

Sounds like amazon only caters to the top 1% with their ship to same day idea.

• Lol at all the skepticism. I work at an amazon warehouse and we've already got technology that you wouldn't believe to be possible. This is going to happen. Maybe not immediately but definitely within the next decade. I think it's really cool. Pizza delivery places want to start delivering pizzas by drone too. Only thing I have against technology is that it's a job killer. Advanced robotics and capitalism don't mix well.

• Just a publicity stunt.

It may happen some day but that may take years.

• I'll stick with the two-day shipping. Shipping items via drone is awesome no doubt, but it makes one wonder if such an idea would ever materialize in the first place.

• I think it's the newest example of innovation to hit the private delivery system since the jet helicopter

• I have serious doubts if this will really happen. In order to get anywhere near the 30 minute delivery like they claim there would have to be thousands of these things flying around at a pretty fast speed. I just don't see that happening in the near future. I would be very surprised if the FAA and other agencies give approval for this any time in the near future.

Can't wait to see a YouTube video of a hawk attacking one of those things. :)

• Never gonna happen. Their insurance carrier would never cover it.

Plus the equipment is not designed for the extended reliability that would be required.

No signature capability or even proof of delivery (except a video that they dropped it in your yard).

• My biggest problem is that machines fail. If a truck breaks down, then the packages will be a little late, but otherwise fine.

If one of those drones breaks down mid-flight, there goes your package.

• I think the drones could be easily hacked and some bastards would end up stealing your stuff.

• It sounds awesome! BUT, it would be ashame to cause so many job loses on our already unemployed country. I also think there would be a problem with people doing things such as shooting those drones down to collect whatever merchandise it contains.

Good question btw

• Sounds cool on paper. Not sure how practical it is though

• Im gonna take out the rifle and shoot me down some PS4's!

• ill help you

• Aaaaand this.

• (AS SHEEP) We cannot stop technology but who would ever think that everyone would own a phone that does so much that making a phone call on it seems primitive.

When my parents grew up they didn't invent TV's yet.

I voted C for job loss.

The NSA, drones floating through the sky. A computer on your wrist will all seem like these are all great ideas . but with this tracking number on every human being. It is just moments away where we will buy and sell and be tracked through a barcode imbedded in us.

Life as we know it has come to fulfill the prophesy !

• They forgot clearly state in the marketing of this idea... no chip implants required.

Just old technology being revitalized for a new purpose.

• Imma learn how to hack one of them sumsabitches, then it's free stuff for me! I'll just have it re-route to my house.

If that doesn't work, just start shootin'

• Shooting them down would be tough... they're near enough tp silent that you're not going to hear them unless they're flying directly overhead at a low altitude and they're incredibly hard to lock your eye on when they're moving at any distance. That's why most go FPS with those things... they have the capability of flying miles but you can only see them so far off. They blend into the sky well.

They'd be pretty much invisible to you unless in the process of landing or taking off...

What Girls Said 7

• I'm not so fond of it.

1) It's going to cut jobs which isn't good for anyone.

2) I really don't see any reason why this is really necessary. I might think two week shipping is too long but if you really need something the next day, go to the store.

3) Machines are modern day advancement. I see no problem with lots of machines/drones/robots doing things other than the fact that it means less work for people.

• I think its a dumb idea to be honest. Don't know (or care) why everyone's applauding it. What if its windy out? I highly doubt It'll be able to withstand 60+ mile an hour winds. There are many things that could go wrong that people are refusing to realize :P

• A better way to make even higher profits.

It's a great idea!

• it's cool but completely unpractical. The horizontal air speed of those things can't be very fast at all, and the cost to produce enough drones(of different sizes to carry heavier loads) to meet the demand is simply not practical as well. not to mention fuel costs, organization of the routes and deliveries. Then you have crazy people like me who will for sure attempt to hit them out of the sky just because it would be fun, and you would get free stuff from it. All in all, cool idea, but I don't think they should do it.

• I feel like it leaves too much room for error. What if it gets the address screwed up and you don't get your item? What if someone steals your item? What if someone steals the drone? With all these drones in the sky, how will that affect air traffic and national defense?

Its an interesting concept, and it will be interesting to see how this works out within the next decade or so.

• It really don't matter to me either way to be honest...

• Oh my gosh it's so weird that you asked this. We were talking about this in my sociology class this morning. I think it's really cool but like anything else, it has pros and cons. The good thing is people would not have to wait nearly as long to get their packages. The thing is though, what else would this lead to? Drones all over the place would be kind of weird.

They would have to maneuver around telephone wires, trees, etc. Of course, I'm sure they would somehow give the drone that knowledge. It would probably cause some people to lose jobs. I don't really like the idea of robots doing everything. But like I said, it's also pretty cool. So, I guess I'm in between on how I feel about it. Lol

• Wow, that's so cool. Today was the first time I had heard of all of this. Technology really has come a long way. I guess I just never realized the full extent of it. It's definitely amazing though:)

• They've had the tech for this for years now :) You should check out a hobby grade RC shop sometime just for fun. You'd be amazed by what the everyday consumer can get their hands on. They're more then capable of maneuvering and flying themselves. Telephone wires are not a problem.