What's it mean when women look you in the eye as you're walking by?

So, you read all over this site about how if a girl likes you she'll avoid eye contact, or look beyond him, or whatever. Then you get the occurrences when she doesn't find him attractive, and just looks where she's going or at something more interesting. But does it mean anything if the majority of young women a guy passes will look him in the eye, but no where else? In other words, not check a guy out, not look beyond him, not look then look away, but look him dead in the eye for as long as he looks at them, then nothing more...?

Or does it mean nothing at all?

My quest to in some way find understanding of the female half (third...?) continues... Have any enlightening information to share?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 35

What Guys Said 17

• Selected as most helpful

A hard question to answer, but I'll do my best.

Like guys there are confident and unconfident women. Confident women are going to be blatantly obvious when they're attracted to a man. They'll give intense eye contact, small smiles, winks, etc.

Unconfident women are going to steal glances at you then quickly look away. They can also become jittery, with their movements, gain embarrassed smiles, blush etc.

Now there's also another factor that comes into play. Sometimes you can lock eyes with someone unintentionally, by this I don't mean you unaware that it's happening either. It's kind of like you suddenly look up and see someone there and before you know it, the stare down is happening and it goes on for how long before one of the two parties (usually the girl) breaks it.

As you can see, to answer your question isn't easy. If a girl is interested she'll give you another sign like a blush or smile, if she's not giving these signs and staring unemotionally, I'd say it's an unintentional eye lock.

This is just a rough guide of course. I've found that when I'm interested in a guy that I lock eyes with, I give other cues I'm interested in him without even realizing it.

• well if that pic in your profile is you...then they are definitely staring at you. You have extremely intense eyes. Sorry, I don't mean to upset or insult you. But you seem to have a steady gaze. As though each look you give is invested with something. I don't think the females are always attracted as much as they are arrested. That is not to say they aren't attracted. Simply, that its hard to look away from your gaze.

Its like staring at an optical illusion, if you look long enough you begin to see "something else" in the picture. I think they are "seeing something else" as they continue to look into your eyes--the longer they look the more they see... even if what they see they cannot define.

Most people have a blank look in their eyes--or an uneffected gaze. But some people have an interactive stare that makes you notice them.

I pretty much always make eye contact with people even if briefly. If a guy is attractive, I will look longer. If I am unsure what his eye contact is saying, I will look longer. if he has kind eyes, I will look longer and even smile.

• I generally means nothing except that she noticed you looking. However if anyone makes eye contact with you while out it does mean that they are more receptive to conversation. Therefore if your interested go for it and say hello. Take it from there. If anything even if she is not interested you will make her smile.

• looking someone in the eye could mean anything...it depends on the type of look. like were they doe eyes, did she hold your eye contact, did she seem bashful, did she seem super confident, does she look everyone in the eye? just pay a lot of attention to her. also ask her out it can't hurt to ask and then you'll know your answer!

• It means nothing. I look everyone in the eye. I hate it when people misinterpret it..

• I do it all the time, and it doesn't mean anything in particular. I just like staring at eyes...that or I'm lost in thought.

• I don't really look at guys whom I like straight in the eye. If I do look at a guy, it's because he happened to look at me at the same time, and now we're both just stuck staring at each other...hmmm

• Just a little warning, she might be lost in thought and happened to find herself looking into your eyes. BUT, if she's keeping the eye contant going for a while, then she probably finds you to very attractive...if you approach her, she's going to respond positively.

• I do that when I'm into a guy because I can't help but look! I never avoid eye contact with my crush.

• I *always * try to look a guy in the eyes when I'm attracted to him even though sometimes is reeally hard :D but yes, if I want his attention I'll try and make an eye contact with him :)

• If I held eye contact with a guy for longer than a few seconds, it definitely means I'm attracted to him, or at least interested. Sometimes it's fun to just see their reactions, like yours. Most appear baffled, flattered, embarrassed, or just keep walking on. But I do have the tendency to make eye contact with everyone around me, just out of curiosity. And on another note, I don't have to full look a guy up and down to tell if he's attractive or not. I kind absorb his entire body with one look, and I can tell if I'm attracted just by the look in his eyes. If that makes sense. :\

• i always try and look a guy in the eyes just to see if he is looking back, but also hope at that same time that he doesn't notice me looking, its a complicated process lol

• A lot of the time I look at whoever I am with or whoever I want to be with in the eye when I walk by. Especially if it is a guy.

• there's a lot of meanings to it really.. like many of them have said, she either wants your attention, is attracted and mesmerized by you , is madat you or just happened to look at you the moment you looked at her.t

• In my case it would be because I am checking him out but accidentally make eye contact lol

• means that's either she is feeln you or she don't lik you

• She wants your d***.

• LOL

• either she finds you attractive or she's mad at you. but if she's mad at you, you'll know because it will be more of a glare than just a stare.

• Mostly noticeable through the eyelids.

• one or both: she finds him attractive or she wants his attention

• A girl who would do that sounds pretty confident. She's obviously trying to get the guy's attention and to show that she's interested. If she didn't find you attractive she wouldn't stare at you for more than a quick glance and if she did then she would be looking you up and down, not in the eye.

• You stare at random guys without breaking eye contact as you walk?

• hmm.. but sometimes I stare at guys I'm not interested in. And if I look at a guy up and down I'm most likely checking him out. Maybe it's just me though.

• If I look a guy in the eye as he is walking past I would think he is attractive and would want to get his attention...

• Show More
  • you probably had a booger on your face

• It all depends on hw the girls stare at you.if she gives you a strange look then things ain't good man bt if she gives you a dreamly kind of look then she like what she sees...got this my sister and I think the girls ve said it all from their answers

• lol Which basically implies - it's every possibility under the sun :P But yeah, looks that way.

• If they look you in the eye it probably means "you better not be looking at my chest, buster!"

• Basic Body Language

Facial Expressions:

Smile-(Attraction)

Women tend to drop their chin slightly and glance from under eyebrows while smiling.

Interest-

Eyes engaged, mouth relaxed, tilted with interest.

And to your question:

Held Gazes-

Interested or Attracted (Pupils Dilated)

Anger or hostility (Pupils Constricted)

"Intimate Feelings"-

Gaze wanders from eyes down face to other parts of the body

Just a little information for the heck of it but, what your are stating since I'm guessing its not a women you have met before then they are checking you out or interest/trying to get your attention.

Another fun fact: About ~60-70% of rapport is eye contact.

• Hence why I said "eye contact" not non-verbal :) although I could have worded it better

• No, about 80% is non-verbal, but that's more than just eye-contact.

• It's hard to tell. The only way to find out is to get to know a girl with time.

• It's just a form of flirting, but more that she has chosen you as someone to potentially date.

• Attraction = curiosity.

So if she's looking for a little longer than normal, she's interested!

• That means a woman has seen something strange about you or you might got in the way -the place she was looking at and she is kinda mad at you .

Girls stare at me always and I wondered that too . The first Anonymous girl( this moment ) answerer said it all .

Girls are always mad at me and they are confused so they look dead in my eye.

Some shy girls look and take their eyes away and I know they like me , but I am shy too so I don't approach too :(

• She just finds you attractive.

• I'm guessn it means she see's you?

it could mean nethng depending on how she looked at yu tho...

• noticed him staring and looked back to see wtf this dudes lookin at :p its possible.

• Great question! I like to think of this as the "look of uncertainty" by both the girl and the guy. While you may be thinking "I have a super hotty looking at me, you are also wandering does she like me or find me highly attractive?" while you are gazing into her eyes, The girl might have the same thing on her mind, and feel the same way. It is always hard to read a girl like this, but one thing is for sure, once they make prolonged eye contact with you, you can almost be certain that you have a unique feature about your appearance, that she can't seem to take her mind and eyes off of.

• yeah right

• Depends on the girl I think. Sometimes a girl might not LET you catch her checking you out and just be showing you some respect. I don't let my eyes wander over a girl as much if I know she's watching me(even if I am attracted to them).

Some might just be showing they're matching your gaze. I find it a bit of a turn-on when a girl looks me back, dead square, in the eye. If you smile and she smiles, I believe that you have an opening for a 'move' - if that's what you're wanting to do.

• nothing it means nothing for the love of god!

• It means nothing! Don't make a big deal about it!

• haha am curious too I've asked my self the same question ! any girl has an answer

• If it is just a one off thing then I'd say she is giving you that "Your sexy" stare. If it occures a lot then I'd say that may be a sign of, "your cute, introduce yourself to me", kind of thing. It can be a good thing (where she may want to get to know you in a decent way) or in a nuaghty way.

• Maybe the guy has beautiful eyes, but I'm kind of curious too.