I've had a friend with benefits for 3 years. Is it time to seriously approach him about a relationship?

I've tried to move on but he comes back stopping me dead in my tracks, what do I do?!

Most Helpful Girl

• Didn't last 3 years, but did this for about a year and it is funny how a guy can keep coming back for sex. My guy was super flaky between hookups and it really irritated me. I did not want a relationship or regular contact but when you text someone, they should text you back. He would keep excusing his behavior but he never changed, he just said what he said to get to the next hookup. If it wasn't for me finally telling him this was not working for me and there was no point continuing it, well who knows how long he would have been happy with it.

The reality is that relationships are about emotional intimacy, not sex, so 3 years of sex with a guy does not qualify you two for a relationship. I think you can easily test out where his mind is at by telling him that you are not interested in FWB and is he ready to make this a relationship and see what he says. Even better, see what he does. If he doesn't ask you to be his girlfriend and start taking you out, introducing you to friends and family and treating you like one, well you have your answer.

Asker upvoted
    • Thank You