My boyfriend called me a filthy slut, is this forgivable?

Long story short my Boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years. Every time things don't go the way he likes or he is really angry at me, he abuses me bitch, slut, etc etc, really nasty stuff. I have had enough of it, I warned him that if this happens again I was going to leave him.

It happen today he called me a "Filthy slut" and other horrible things. I told him 2 weeks back if it happens again I am leaving, and I told him I was dead serious this time. I have been putting up with this for a long time and I always forgive, just takes a I am sorry, I was mad or I love you and I forgive. He went too far this time.

I have had enough and today really was the final straw for me and I want to break up with him. I want to know your opinions on my breaking up with him. Am I over reacting by breaking up? Has this ever happened to you?

Also just to add after he said those nasty things to me today I informed him of my intentions of breaking up and my disgust in what he had said, he added "I meant it and its the truth, f*** off slut". Pardon my french, Your thoughts-He as never been physically violent , just verbally.

Most Helpful Guy

• You still thinking? Seems a no brainer to me. There is no way I know your whole situation, so don't expect a perfect answer. I do know this, life is too short and there are far more good people out there who would never think of being abusive.

In some ways, verbal is worst than physical abuse. Your not going to "fix" him, things are not going to get better, its been 3 years, quit wasting time on him. There are plenty non-abusive good guys. If however, you seems to always end up with such guys, there is likely an issue that you will need to look within before seeking a new partner.

From what you wrote, you seems to have been here before but somehow you bring yourself to forgive and go back. This turns things towards self abuse. You know by now to what he does, and you likely know its not going to get better, and yet you still go back. Who abusing who here?

Your clearly not happy with the situation. If your not the one abusing you, he is. He's the one hurting you, therefore, he's the one who destroyed the relationship. So why the guilt in leaving him? You have nothing to fix or reconcile. Tell him that from what he says to you, and how he treats you, that you feel he really does not love you and he needs to find a better love for himself. And move on. All breakups are painful, but usually they are for the best.

Life is too short and get someone more balanced who really loves you.