Can cousins fall in love with each other? Is it legal?

Okay, so my cousin and me know each other since I was born. We are really close friends. He is 1 year older than me. I know him really well, When my... Show More

oh by the way we are 2nd cousins
Thanks for all of you, this is not a question anymore.. I've got a boyfriend, so this is not current anymore, but thanks for all of your answers :) It really helped.

Most Helpful Opinion

• Move to Alabama?

But in all seriousness you've got to handle it like adults. It would upset your family if you two had a relationship or that you have feelings for each other. On the off chance that it happens anyway, you've got to protect your family from knowing. That kind of thing gets people very upset. I think what is illegal is cousins (first cousins) marrying.

As for what to do to avoid this situation with him, it's obvious. Make excuses to be somewhere else when he's supposed to come over. Avoid him. It will hurt you both but you only have 2 choices here - either do what feels good and can lead to problems or do what feels bad and save everyone some grief. It's up to you.

• okay, thanks for the advice

• And I can admit it, I saw a picture of a cousin I hadn't seen in 10 years and didn't know who she was and I thought she was hot. I found out she was my cousin and I just thought, "Oh... OK then". This whole cousins being off limits thing only started relatively recently in society. It was still OK less than a hundred years ago.

• I think you are right. I should really just avoid him and make the right choice. I will find the right guy someday :)