What information should you share with your new boyfriend/girlfriend about your past relationships?

When you start a new relationship, how much information do you share about your past relationships? And what would you consider to be too much?

I feel its important to let the new person know how an old relationship impacts your current relationship (ex. you want to take things slow because you had a bad experience in the past). But I don't feel the need to know any more then that, I just don't like to think about them with someone else.

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree with what you say about a previous relationship, I would want to know if she is carrying any baggage. Apart from that I think its best not to say anything, there's no need.. Your starting a new relationship, not bringing stuff from the past into it, which in the end causes probably more jealousy and awkwardness than what its worth.

GAG Video of the Day

GirlsAskGuys on the streets of Chicago!

What Guys Said 14

• the only thing my current girlfriend needs to know about my ex girlfriend is that I don't care about her anymore and that I've moved onto bigger and better things (aka her)

bringing up the past is never really a good idea, even if its bad talking...some people will take it as "oh they still think of them..." its better to leave things that are in the past, in the past

its really none of their business and I understand you want to be honest and all that but sometimes being too open about the past can make your current boyfriend/girlfriend a little more insecure, if they can assure you nothing would bother them about your past, then hey, its up to you how much you tell...

hope this helps,gl

• I'm not ashamed of any of my relationships but I'll still avoid bringing up as too often, I've had the issue that a girl lost some selfesteem after learning about an ex/past relationship because the relationship was already at a further stage then where I was with the girl(s) in question, thus leading to a drop in either her selfconfidence or her wondering if I actually want to be with her, etc.

I'll answer what she wants to know to extend, I'll keep things such as looks, sex and the like to myself regardless as I believe that is between me & my previous partner and believe it doesn't matter at all to a current partner. If I would say something regarding sex (which does happen as women tend to be nosy regarding :P), it'd be a bad experiance or something I really enjoyed but even then I won't mention the specifics as to who, where and when.

If I do bring up an ex, it'd be in a story where the main point isn't my past relationship but something funny or interesting that happened and she happened to be around or in a "have you ever" kind of way.

I believe being able to be honest with your partner about everything is definately a great thing to strive for but there is a time and place for everything and I like to keep my bagage where it belongs which is in the closet ;)

Everyone has some bagage from a past relationship when your in your mid twenties or older, its unavoidable but I don't see the need of showing that straight away untill your relationship is stable & mature enough to bring it up.

• Well, just as I tell anyone, I will answer any question anyone asks, but I will filter my answer depending on the person and the situation.

As my connection with my new partner deepens, so do my answers. So, when she may say, "I asked you this already!", I'll say, "Yes, but my answer is different because you are now ready for the full truth."

If I can't share who I am, which includes who I was, with my future partner, the connection doesn't feel real for me. The connection is ever changing, just like the waves in a lake.

What I want to do is strengthen the connection with truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

And just as I begin to understand my partner, I can't be given the full details right away, because it's too much. I have to experience my partner over time to appreciate and understand how complex my partner is.

• This is a pretty damn good answer bro I must say, especially the wanting to strengthen the connection with truth. If not for truth, how can the connection even be considered legitimate?

• Share with them what they want to know.

• I keep seeing this question and will keep replying with the same answer.

If you want to build a relationship where there are always topics that can never be discussed, or you base your relationship on lies and hiding the truth from your partner then your relationship will not work out plain and simple.

More from Guys
9

What Girls Said 13

• this is a hard one for me... because I'm not really sure how my past relationships effected me, but I know they did.. and I don't know how to tell a guy and what to tell him, so I would probably just wait til he asks.. It sucks because my past relationships I never even knew what a serious relationship really was so I messed up a lot, honestly I wouldn't like to bring them up at all, the past is the past and it made me who I am today, any new boyfriend is just going to have to except me for the way I am.. bringing those kinds of things up is really unnecessary actually, because every relationship, friendship, etc effects a person and makes a person, you can't just put the blame on a past bf.

• Two people have different stories. They will say their version but what about the ex. I don't think it makes sense for people to talk about past relationships especially when it's the same thing. She cheated on me or he cheated on me when that might not in fact be true. If they can't admit or won't see that they had something to do with it, it's best not to talk about it. From my experience, the guys just can't stop worrying about them when I mention an ex. Don't bring out the past unless THEY ask.

• Go with your gut. I feel like this isn't a question that has one answer that fits to everyone. If you feel it is important for them to know things, then you should share. If you have second thoughts on sharing something, you probably should keep it to yourself.

• Nothing unless he asks.

• If you are still damaged, you really shouldn't be dating period...its unfair to that person to bring unecessary baggage from another relationship into a new one. he shouldn't have to pay for a another man's mistakes. And none likes to talk about past relationships, not even guys... If you still feel pain you need to remain single until you get over it, and can commit to a new relationship without bringing emotional baggage.

• I am not asking about bringing baggage into a new relationship... more, what do you think is important for a new partner to know so they can understand you better. For example, my past relationships have taught me how important it is to have an identity outside the relationship so now in new relationships its important for me to have time to see my friends and do my own thing... and I think its important for new boyfriends to know that.

More from Girls
8