What does S.O.S mean?

Just curious because I've always saw it on the movies like when someone is stranded on a deserted island or something but I've never know what it meant...so if anybody knows what it stands for or what it means I will greatly appreciate you letting me know.

Most Helpful Guy

• S.O.S does not stand for anything, although some believe it to stand for "save our ship" or "save our souls". Rest assured, it does not stand for anything, the code was chosen because it is very simple to type into a telegraph, the morse code for it is 3 short beeps, 3 long beeps, then 3 more short beeps. Very simple to understand in morse code.

• Thank you! Everyone is saying it has a meaning, and I know it has kind of picked up some in the vernacular, but you pointed out its true origin! S.O.S. means nothing, other than a morse code signal for help!

• You're right, it's not an acronym for anything.