What does it mean when a girl says she needs a time out?

My girlfriend and I once had an argument, and she got offended by some things I said. She told me she wanted to take a time-out in our relationship. We have since worked through it, and never did have that time out. However, I've always wondered exactly what she meant at the time? Was it a sign that she wanted to break-up with me? I've never heard of any guy saying that to a girl - "We need a time-out". Help me ladies? I don't want to hear that again, ever!

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Well personally when I tell a guy I need a time out its probably because I'm having personal issues, I'm overwhelmed or I'm just unsure about my feelings for the guymaybe in her case she needed a time out because she was a bit upset and wanted a time out before she did anything she might regret like breaking up with you. So basically a time out means she doesn't want to break up, she just needs time to herself to think and recuperate, plus everyone needs some time to themselves :]

• Thanks for your comments. I feel much better about it now!

What Girls Said 2

• It just mean she needs a break for a little while to think about the situation and how to resolve it

• I know when I need a "time-out" it is because I feel overwhelmed by what is going on with my life. It more than likely was due to a combination of relationship stress, work, personal issues, etc. I don't think she ever wanted to break up, she probably was just looking for some time to sort things out in her head. Sometimes if a girl does not want a guy around, it doesn't mean she is uninterested or does not want his support, she probably just wants alone time to works things out on her own.

• Thanks for your comments. I have a better understanding of what she meant now!

What Guys Said 1

• It means you're at serious risk of losing her buddy, but that she cares enough about you to give you another shot. Don't blow it.

• Thanks for your comment. Thats kind of what I was thinking at the time; I had a bad feeling about it! It kind of seemed like a "warning shot".