What is a casual relationship vs a serious relationship?

Can someone explain what it means when someone says casual relationship vs serious relationship? I am very confused about the difference. Aren't both relationships with girlfriend/boyfriend title?

Updates:
Also, do people usually agree something is NOT serious and just casual before starting a relationship or is it just unspoken?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Casual: going to eat and occasionally having him pay... Sex after a date... Not meeting family... Not talking about relationships.Serious: having him pay when you go out. Kissing in public. Holding hands in public. Meeting family. Calling frequently. He brings you up in future plans. Sex is romantic and sensual...not two bunnies getting it on.

• That is a great explanation. Thank you.So casual is still boyfriend/girlfriend but just basically not talking about relationships? Even in casual relationships, do people try to keep in touch every day? Or is that for more serious relationships? Do you think casual can ever become serious?

• Show Older
    • Oops. I meant, talk to each other EVERY DAY.

• I mean, if casual relationships are more about having fun... do people still get attached to each other or miss each other?

What Guys Said 2

• Casual relationship = sex, movies, drinking, anal sex, Tylenol, see ya later.Serious relationship = moving in together, buying pet together, sharing bathroom in the morning, meeting parent(s), drunken menage trois w/her best friend and being cool with it at breakfast.

• Casual is just dating.Serious is actually a relationship.Simplest answer.

What Girls Said 2

• I think that a lot of men do not want serious relationships when they are young. They want to experience so much in the single life. However when you fall in love with someone, you can't help it. No matter what age you are. :)

• Thank you for the input!

• Casual - Just a 'fling'. No deep emotions and love towards the other. Just a bit of affection or just meaningless sex.Serious - Love, affection, meaning sex, care, doing things for the other and hugs, kisses, gifts etc... :)

• Can casual turn into something serious? Or it usually does not happen? Why would someone choose to have a casual relationship?

• In my experience it always ended up turning serious. lol People choose to have casual relationships because they still aren't ready to commit. They still want to see what's out there and won't settle for less. Not saying you are considered less, they are just still curious to see what is out there. Its normal.