Do you get upset when randoms call you babe, baby, honey, and sweetie?

I work at the mall and deal with a lot of people. On average, it seems like at least one customer, typically an older woman 40+ will refer to me by some form of "babe" or "baby". I also get this reference when I am the customer, usually at the grocery. Quite a few follow the 'babe" or "baby" with a slight wink ;) lol, which I find to be a little well ummm... scandalous, perhaps lol anyways does anyone else experience this

Most Helpful Girl

• I get this, ALL THE TIME.

It absolutely creeps me out when an old man calls me pet names, not so much "darl" but if they call me baby, or babe, or SUGAR PIE then proceed to wink at me... Its just like, really? Were those winks so you could take memory shots for your imaginary wank bank.

And I hate when my older male customers say to me "hope your sexy face is here next time I come in" finished with a lick of the lips and wink. You may be 80, IT STILL DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT!

I also find it disrespectful when you hear girls aged 16-20's calling an older lady, 30's- and on

"babe" "hun" "darl". I just think you shouldn't be calling a lady with twice your age something that isn't her name or surname (just my opinion) and its degrading to be called babe and sweetie from anyone significantly younger then you.

Also guys who think their top stuff and are hot as F You C K and talk to you and call you all the pet names when you're serving them, its like shut the hell up? You're actually embarrassing yourself.

Everyone should just save the pet names for your - Partner, friends, family (if that's what you do) NOT for strangers.

GAG Video of the Day

Would you date someone younger/older/married?

What Girls Said 53

• yes I am not big on generic pet names

• I have never liked being called those surnames/petnames, no matter how old I was. The earliest occurrence I can recall is when I was in grade school and a teacher called these names to me. Things did not go down so nicely. Fast forward to today, I still haven't gotten use to it and when I'm at work, despite wearing a name tag, I still get called these things and for me, it feels extremely demeaning, belittling and I get creeped out by it. I have learned that older gentlemen and older women are stuck in their ways and most often do not mean anything by it (even though I find it degrading).

• It doesn't happen much from just basic interaction with most people. Sometimes it's just a way a person talks, like one of my coworkers. He calls almost every woman "dear." He doesn't mean anything by it, it's just being friendly.

Arguably, a person can tell when there's something more behind a random person using a pet name. That gross feeling when someone you've never met is calling you "sweetie" and being a little too nice... I terminate those interactions as fast as possible.

The third thing this brought to mind is the matter of hooking up. If he's flavor of the week or my one night stand, I absolutely am not his baby, and I won't tolerate being called "babe" or "baby" continuously. Other words inspire less anger, but I'd rather be called by another woman's name than hear either of those.

• well I had few times when a young girl called me that.

• Sometimes, I'll use a pet name in a sarcastic way, but very rarely do I apply that to anyone other than people I'm familiar with. I develop nicknames for people when I'm making friends, and using those is more meaningful and pleasant in my opinion.

• I think it's cute and friendly :) So, no I don't take offence. Unless it was said patronizingly, then I would.

• I live in the south, so I get this all the time. I think it's really charming when paired with a southern accent haha. :)

More from Girls
48

What Guys Said 12

• Yes. Just roll with it dude. It's better than not getting any attention at all... Not to say I'm into older women or anything, but it's just the way the world works, don't let it get to you, I guarentee you 99% of those women mean no foul.

- soaren

• It depends... Professionally, no. If I'm on the job and someone refers to me as hun or honey, babe... I think that isn't professional. But sometimes older women that work for my customers call me hun or something along those lines I don't worry about it. I hate it when a man calls me Jr. or sonny or kid... I'm in my late 20's and served in the Marines for 8 years, if I don't get respect I take it.

• Yeah, usually the older folks will do that.

It shocks my brain to hear that coming from a stranger who has no emotional investment in me.

• damm those ladies want to hunt you down haha..

tk those in a positive manner they mean you look cute..

• No. It's pretty meaningless. I'm not that egotistical to think any person who says such a thing necessarily wants to have sex with me :) It's called being warm.

More from Guys
7