Do men mind if a girl is a bookworm?

I enjoy going out and about. Like in the summer, I love hiking, swimming, going to the beach, going to bar patios, basically I love the outdoors. I always buy a Canada's Wonderland season pass so I can go as much as I like. I'm happy if I can go camping as well. I know how to have fun, but there are some days where I want to just stay in and read a good book. I love reading, and I always love buying new books or ebooks. I was talking about being a bookworm today and some guy coughed into his hand "boring bitch!" and I asked him what that was supposed to mean. He said that most men can't stand women who are bookworms because they don't know how to have fun.But this is not true about me at all. I love having fun, but I also love reading.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• What a jack ass! one in a million and your stumbled on the lottery. Being a book worm isn't a turn off, might even be the contrary for me. Quote: He said that most men can't stand women who are bookworms because they don't know how to have fun.Most men aren't you Jack ass and know how to have fun.I think it has more to do with the idea of going out with an intellectual girl. Somebody who might someday start having deep intellectual conversations about modern topics. The idea of looking dumb during one of these fiery conversation topic, would seriously plummet his confidence. So as a result of that fear he's labeled the book readers as NO Fun. Do men mind if a girl is a bookworm? nope, as long as she doesn't bring along her whole library to a date. It's a matter of setting, I guess if you bring a book with you somewhere people assume that you are bored, because you are reading a book instead of paying attention to them. Which is true. That's why it's important to know in which setting to bring a book. If we are going camping, absolutely bring the library. If we are going sky diving, then to a restaurant, then finish the day with a movie. Don't bring it. You'll have to use logic on settings matters.

What Guys Said 57

• Not at all. I read too, and always have. Enjoying reading is definitely NOT mutually exclusive to knowing how to have fun.Don't let one guy's narrow-minded view affect you.

• I'm married to one.<3 She's addicted to our public library.That leaves me some time to post here. :D

• Ignorance is considered masculine, still, by a few nimrods out there. Don't worry about them, they won't be reproducing much, so soon they won't be in the gene pool.

• Nope, I would definitely date a girl like you. You're like the ideal girlfriend that I'm always dreaming of.Don't mind every person that you meet, and don't give a care about the things that they say. You're a bookworm because you find happiness in it, and you also love having fun. People have distinct tastes and preferences.

• If a guy is a bookworm, he would probably have a positive view about your love of books.If a guy isn't a bookworm, he would probably have a neutral or negative view about it.I love reading and having intellectual discussions. So, I would love to have a girlfriend who is a bookworm. Also, with all your other pastimes, you seem very well rounded. You have nothing to worry about.

• Dont mind at all, intelligence is a huge quality I like to see in a woman.

• I love it. Books take our souls out to wander circumstances and fantasies we don't find in our daily lives.

• I like it. We can trade books and sh*t.

• That guy probably just drinks beer and enjoys watching cops drive by on his porch. Honestly, bookworm girls are the most sought after types of girls these days. Every since the whole "nerds are in", men have been more honest about the type of women we find attractive. Especially us nerds. A girl in glasses, or just with a book in her hand, is much more appealing to us than you might think.

• Bookworms are sexy as f***.

• that guy was an as*hole. there is absolutely nothing wrong with a girl who likes to read and certainly bookworms are not necessarily boring... that guy is just a loser who would rather make immature comments who makes rash decisions without getting to know someone.

• Theres nothing wrong in being a bookworm, and this guy was obviously a single idiot who has no experience with women, because everything to gain from a woman that reads a lot, and one of them is the endless ability to create a conversation through one of the books she has read, so educating yourself by reading whatever it is, always has its benefits to us guys, and most guys realise, most women enjoy a good read,x

• It's totally cool with me. We have something in common. You sound like a really cool girl. Pay no mind to that guy. You don't want anything to do with an a**hole like that.

• Uh, Yeaah, I do mind! You should be paying attention to ME, no those dumb books! Hmph!I'm going out shopping with the boys.

• Wow. That guy is an idiot. Even if the guy isn't into reading, he has no idea who you are. I know people cuss, but calling you that just because you're reading. You should have coughed back ::@ss::I've got a lot of friends who don't read. But most aren't jerks about it. There's one guy who doesn't read much. And he's actually really closed minded about a lot of things. Ugh, this sort of thing annoys me, so before I rant, I'm just going to stick purely to this topic... just... Let them miss out. There are all kinds of things people are closed off to little things that make no sense. (Nothing big, even, like religion or politics or sexuality...) it could be... people refusing to see a movie because all animated movies are "stupid kids films." or because a movie is in black and white, they refuse to see it because "Dude, it's old." And they miss out. It's a bit infuriating, but you just have to kind of let them miss out. Not that anyone needs to justify themselves to an jerk like that, but... to answer your question: I read. A lot. If I ever get married, would love for my future wife to be a reader. If I have any kids, I'd hope they'd develop a lifelong love of reading.

• I quite like women like that. Even if they don't go out and "have fun" in the form of partying etc. So long as they don't lord it over people.I know this girl who just calls people illiterate as a general insult because she reads like a goddam machine and thinks quite highly of herself because of it. Not that I don't read, I read far more than the average but I can't just read a book for the sake of making myself feel intelligent because I read. I actually have to enjoy the author and style.

• My old room mate was like that. Whenever they got in a fight about something, she always brought up the fact that she reads only intelligent books whereas he read magazines. But I never bring it up unless it comes up in conversation, like it did when I was talking about being a book worm.

• In that case, you are amazing.

• Only if reading is the only thing she ever does. I used to read a lot so it wouldn't bother me.

• I don't mind. I love reading. What book's are you interested in?

• I'm dating one and I'm one myself. 'Nuff said.

• Well, it's on the contrary for me, from what he said.

• its k ...but overall experience was bad...even I love studies and I do it with total devotion and get good grades but I dnt let it come on my face ...everything in life has its own time-slot and that activity suites well on that time ...say wen I'm playing ...im playing...when I'm studying..im studying...when I'm working out...im working out...but most nerd girls get so much into books that they just dnt come out of it ...thats where the problem lies...

• I've dated a few nerds. It never ended well. I don't think it was so much because they liked to read, just other things about their collective personalities.

• Why. Would an outdoor guy not like this? Sounds like fun and hot?

• Not into to reading books and there is nothing wrong with reading a book just as long as you don't do it all the time. In fact you have some of the qualities I look for in a girl, which is a girl that's not afraid to go outside in the summer:) It's nice to know you're not going to be all "oh it's too hot outside to do anything!"

• If reading is what you like, why do you have to change yourself for someone else, just because someone else thinks your boring or what you like is boring? If that's who you are and what you like, then do it. Don't let someone's stupid comments get to you. Everyone is unique in their own way and it's embracing yourself that should matter, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

• i prefer a bookworm rather than some party animal.if she reads mainly non-fiction she gets a big plus. fiction is for babies.

• Some geekyness is a very good thing in a girl.However such normally goes hand in hand with other negative features. It doesn't automatically mean them though.,

• Mind? It's awesome! I'd much, much rather talk to a woman who cherishes a good story and builds up her imagination and intellect than some boring child who's just into soap operas and mtv shows.

• Will you marry me.? And that's not what comes to mind when you say "bookworm". But your perfect saying that word I think of someone who can have a conversation past the small talk, you know who actually has depth and an opinion, to say you also like to have a good time is what I look for in a woman.

• will you marry me?

• Show More

What Girls Said 6

• That guy just has his own tastes. Maybe its where you live because it is isn't like that way at all in my town! Quite the opposite actually. The place I get most hit on is in the book store or library and those guys seem to love it. I've talked nonstop with guys about books. Every guy that I've dated ended up loving books and reading them constantly after I gave them some of my books. If you want to get a guy book work then check out the Philosophy section. That and the history section or religion section are the hotspots for guys who will flirt. Be who you are. :) if you keep talking about books, I'm sure a fun bookworm will overhear you and things might go they way you want to! :D

• i am the same way I love to have fun go camping,shopping,parties but I also love to read I have read 4 books in the last week all over 500 pages but I mainly read late at night so I don't take all day and I mainly read when I have no plans or during summer when I am not tired.

• I have never had a problem and I'm exactly like you, I've got loads of friends love having fun, and the outdoors, hell I even shake my ass in clubs- but I love reading tooI literally just got off a date and the guy seemed to be head of heels over me for no other reason than my intelligence. He said talking to me was like talking to a hot dictionary :P and he said it was wonderful. I'm apt to believe him as I've gotten comments like that before. Most men love smart women. We challenge their brains, both of them, and most men secretly or not secretly love a challenge.

• That is really offensive, it's like were back in the dark ages again. you go and read those books girlfriend...the guy who said that to is is the ONE who is boringguys like that are called PIGS and there is nothing wrong with youIf you are not bouncing your nude breasts in his face HE thinks you have no right to exist on the planet.

• Wtf lol that is so incredibly rude...Anyways I'm not a guy and not really a 'bookworm' either but I am always reading/studying for school and my boyfriend likes it. He always tells me he loves having a sexy AND intelligent girlfriend :). So you are fine.

• You're boyfriend has good taste. I'm the same way, sexy and intelligent is the PERFECT combination.

• your *

• Not if you're pretty.