Does true love really exist? the answer is yes.

Dear Reader,

If we base our idea of what true love is on fairy tales, we might think that finding prince charming or an enchanting princess and living happily ever after is the ultimate goal. But for most mortals, striving for such ideals is unrealistic, and may even leave us feeling unfulfilled or let down. The reality is that being and staying in love takes continual work and patience, even though this might not seem utterly romantic, in that storybook sense. Couples who have healthy relationships find ways of working together, and this in and of itself could be considered a sign of true love.

It's true that in many cultures, people who are "in love" create long-term partnerships and/or get married. We may hear of the high divorce rates, but lots of these couples do actually stay together. Yes, there are couples that have been married for 60 years and still feel passionately in love, and there are others who care deeply for one another even though the lust is gone (or maybe never existed!). Of course, sometimes we may not even want to hear about the happy, lovey-dovey couples because we're feeling romantically unlucky or lovelorn ourselves.

Keep in mind that the reasons why some relationships don't last are as varied as the different kinds of people we are; in many cases, the partners simply grow apart because they have grown and changed as individuals, and seek different, more fulfilling opportunities for love. If a particular couple "falls out of love," yet each partner goes on to seek a more satisfying love with another person, could this be an example of "true love" in action?

Love can also vary by degrees: some couples feel deeply intense and passionate, while others appreciate one another for intellectual reasons or admire one another's ambition, dedication, or creativity. When is the last time you read a fairy tale where the main characters appreciated each others' brilliant musicianship, eloquent writing, or compassion for humanity? (Well, maybe in Shakespeare's writings...)

Love is not an easily definable concept but it may be helpful to try to spell it out. A psychologist, Richard Sternberg proposed that love is the result of three components — intimacy, passion and commitment. The love is strongest when all three of these components are strong. John Lee proposed an alternate theory by identifying six styles (or colors) of love. How do you define love?

Perhaps, just for fun though, it might help to look at this elusive "true love" in another light. Look around you and see all of the expressions of love in our world: people devoting huge chunks of their lives for the human rights of others, people setting aside time to volunteer in their community, parents and caregivers protecting and nurturing their children and families, young people learning from and sharing things with their grandparents. Or, how about giving and receiving unconditional love to and from the animals in our lives?

So, are humans capable of staying in love? Sure they are, as there are lots of models around us of people who love and care deeply about one another. Some people follow the philosophy of "better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all." Instead of looking at all the heartaches around us, why not look to all of the examples of the different types of love in the world? Perhaps if we think of love as a broadly defined term, it's possible to see "true love" all around us.

122

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol you could have written all this in an article :)

"If a particular couple "falls out of love," yet each partner goes on to seek a more satisfying love with another person, could this be an example of "true love" in action?"

-True love should be seen as an unbreakable bond between two lovers that encourage both to act out of love for the other. When a relationship is tested, the one that is left strengthened after the hard times IS true love. So if a relationship happens to exit for a person that has previously loved someone else but broke up with them and ended with someone else, then yes true love it could be. But not always.

"When is the last time you read a fairy tale where the main characters appreciated each others' brilliant musicianship, eloquent writing, or compassion for humanity"

-Aha yes in Shakespeare, though there is so much violence and sly/selfish actions committed that it is hard to see such a relationship. But there are novels and films that do demonstrate this relationship you describe.

"How do you define love?"

-I often define love a burning passion to do good for others; an act of kindness and selflessness.

"So, are humans capable of staying in love?"

-Yes I truly believe so and this belief of mine has been supported by some couples I have seen.

QUESTION FOR brandonlee12: What are the six styles of love that you mentioned?

• I personally don't really care about love, and relationships. I just thought I would put up for people to read. But I wish I hadn't now. When it comes to true love, I don't actually believe in it. I did not write it, I actually took from another article. This was just done out of boredom.

• Ahaha well are you still bored?

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 11

• it does exist, and iv seen from some contributions that your qs is a little sarcastic... and I'm sorry that you haven't been able to experience, but just because you haven't experienced something yourself, don't mean it ain't there, because I can tell you this- there are many out there who understand exactly what true love is and live it everyday:)

• I would say yes true love really exists if you are really loving someone and he loving you back truly then it is true love and I can see there are many couple who are in true love but some of them are also who are waiting for their true love then i would say they should try Love Spells so that their true love will come back in their life.
    P. S. My sister tried http://www.verifiedspellcasters.net/ to have love spells for her EX and they both are very happy with each other.:)

• Yes, back in the day people loved each other no matter what, now relationships only last a few weeks with most people or even a few days with some, but years ago once they were married they were with each other since the day they die

• Does love find you unexpectedly?
    Or
    Do you find love in unexpected places?
    Should you wait for the person to come along?
    Should you mess around?

• Yes only when you are an old person because that is the only thing that matters.

• I threw 5 stars for such a heart-warming question.Haha. Yes,true love exists!Hurray!

• it exists but hard to find

• of course it does well I like to believe it does

• yup, but true, love is a love for all life and the whole planet... it's not selective..

• Yes it does

• disagree. true love is bullocks.

• No it doesn't

What Guys Said 2

• Boy, that's a lot of words. So since you answered your own question there's no need for me to.

• just for something for everyone to read, rather than to answer. because some people don't believe in true love.

• You know what true love is? True love is what ypu have for your children. Nothing else can be defined as "true love".