Boys forced to dress like girls in school?

Anybody think this is a good idea? OK so I read about this elementary school which required ALL students to dress like women for a fashion show to celebrate Women;'s History month..I thought it was SO degrading...Mandating cross-dressing? Don't get me wrong, I think setting aside a time of the year to focus on remarkable women is a good thing (some people would ask why there isn't a white history month...Or a Male History month...umm..well that's pretty much the other 11 months of the year as I see it) So read about remarkable women..discuss them..Assign essays about women...But cross-dressing? How could anyone think this is okay? My answer: I think some people are obsessed with trying to blur gender lines...Mostly some people that would call themselves feminist...I have no problem with trans gender people..Or those who share some traits that are more common among the opposite sex, I know I would admit I have feminine characteristics..But the truth is..For most of us..We express our gender in contrast to one another..And we complement one another..Not supplement ashtray...A guy doesn't detest how women dress..They often like it ;)...Same with girls..But just because you appreciate something doesn't mean you would personally embrace it..Luckily enough parents complained and it was canceled...Real stupid move to by the school..Shouldn't have been an issue in my opinion.

lol spell check there in that astray thing...sorry I meant to say each other...lol

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 23

What Guys Said 31

• Selected as most helpful

complete BS.. I hate feminists

• I have to agree with Carla..

It's okay to 'be' a man, but being a girl is gay. It should be wrong either way. The only reason it isn't okay for a guy to do the same is because almost EVERYONE.. Yeah, not just men, believe females are the weaker sex. You know it true and it's perfectly fine for you to say that's your reason for hating it so much.

By the way, Knowitall, the only reason you aren't at home learing how to cook and sew or getting sold off into a marriage-- Or because you can VOTE-- is because of Fems. So, if you hate freedom for your own sex, just go to a place where you'll get your head chopped off for trying to divorce your abusive husband. Don't worry, we won't mind. ;D

But, I get why you're upset about having no say in something. Kinda.

Ugh, I hope this helped. Lol.. ^ ^;

Cookies and Milk,

STM~

• excuse me, but you made the claim that I believe that women are weaker and asserted that as my reasoning...and well yes girls are almost always phsyically weaker"but your trying to portray me as a sexist., bottomline..this was forcing boys to dress like girls...it wasn't like the school tried to keep boys from wearing skirts...they tried to make them dress like women...and call us a bunch of sexists...but guys like dressing "masculine" and yes it is more acceptable for girls that's just how it is.

• Cool story.

Uhm, next time when someone answers your question in a calm and kind mannor, don't get so butthurt. Goodness, silly. I never said anything insulting. If you're so pissed off because I was right about you, just say it and stop bitching around it. xD You still think it's more okay for a girls to wear pants than a boy to wear a skirt. Don't get pissed off by my 'kinda', and elaborate more, ya' whiner. Lmao. I thought you'd be mature enough to handle such kind words, but I guess not!

• also...I attended a private school were guys had to wear slacks and girls had to wear either pants or skirts...guess what? out of the student body of 1,000 kids...I only recall 3 girls that ever wore pants...and thise girls were seen as weird or non-conformists...it's a 2 way street. Clothes are a big aprt of identity and to gender...if you don't like it tough...btw,.. you "kinda" understand? Well maybe I "kinda" get why you would want to have the right to vote.

• Show Older
  • Wow that's a terrible idea, it's like a target for people to make fun of each other or be made fun of

• Awww :O poor kid! That's just terrible :-(

• Yes...infact in the article I read..there was a boy with a mil form of autism who had a lot of social anxiety...he was crying and asking "please moomy don't make me do this" and his mom was the one who eventually complained and got the stupid thing canceled thank god!

• It's interesting that tomboys are accepted but if a boy dresses like a girl it's degrading, because on some level boys think girls are less. That said, no, I don't think this is a good idea. I'm not sure how you got feminism out of this exercise, that's just the belief that boys and girls should be equal (nothing less, nothing more) and clothing doesn't have anything to do with that. I also don't know how transgendered people came into play, studies have revealed that cross-dressing isn't a homosexual activity but is shared just as much by straight men and men of all orientations. I agree this was a nonsensical exercise but I must question what truly offends some people about it so much.

• "It's interesting that tomboys are accepted but if a boy dresses like a girl it's degrading, because on some level boys think girls are less." Would disagree, you're right insaying its accetabe for girls to dress masculine but not for boys to dress feminine....thats the core issue..boys don't feel comfrotable dressing like girls and it does degrade them because it lowers their esteem as male. not saying its correct but that's how it is. not because they think girls are inferior.

• They shouldn't make the kids do it. Like if the kids want to do it, hell, why stop them? but if they don't want to...

• F*CK no! that's so stupid and degrading! my child would be pulled right out of school if they made my son do that

• Thank god, this country needs more women like you as mothers

• That sounds kinda gay.

• I think it's wrong and the kids should be given the choice whether they want to or not

• I think the assignment is degrading to women too because it focuses only on women's fashion instead of the great things women did in history. What kind of a woman history day is this? It makes it seem as though women are only good for setting fashion trends. The whole idea is just stupid, too! If they were going to have a fashion show with women's fashions, they could at least make it so only guys who wanted to could dress as women instead of making it mandatory for everyone.

• I agree...having the kids do a report on womens accomplishments would be a way better idea

• I think if a guy can dress like a girl and still be comfortable with his sexuality as a straight man then that's great, it shows he doesn't need to prove himself to others so he's probably more 'manly' then someone who doesn't. I say embrace it, have fun and take the p*ss!

• Mmmm yes, much different. kids can be cruel

• Lol rite...its a much different situation with younger kids I think

• Hold up... grade three? as in like 8yr olds? I may have skipped over that bit, that's not cool, ur right they shouldn't have to if they don't want to

• Show Older
  • Wow!I suppose that would be fine,if it were completely voluntary,but never enacting a school policy to force anyone,that's wrong.The funny thing is that,I do have a sort of weird "thing"for guys who happen to dress "en femme",but they do it by choice(unless they want me to force them!LOL),and they are certainly adults,not still in elementary school.Talk about trauma!

• Yea like I said...this isn't about intolerance of transgender people...its forcing unwilling masculine boys to do it...thats the problem

• Whoa. I think you're totally right. It's a mystery to me how some prefer to force "openess" by destroying "willingness", or will.

A feminist is not someone who pursues power by cracking down on the first available institutional target. You can't simply assault your oppressors, you have to transform yourself!

Am I right or am I right?

<3 Claire

BTW: I'm new here and I'm really happy I found the site. I hope you all will go to my website and vote for my sexy tattoo!

• You are right indeed

• Wow, you were required to dress like a woman?!?! That would have been SOO terrible. I thought the BP oil spill was bad but this, man, does it get any worse? And it most definately would have been degrading to look like a woman for once since women are obviously inferior to men. *sigh* People overreact way too much these days. By the way, I didn't mean to get so sassy I just had a frustrating day and I don't like people who whine :D

• I think you and some other on here aren't understanding how I am using the term degrading

"de?grad?ed (d-grdd)

adj.

1. Reduced in rank, dignity, or esteem."

Notice the esteem part? For many guys being masculine is central part of self-esteem. I wore a skirt for a sneior prank and felt fine, but if in THIRD GRADE..I was told I HAD to dress feminine to make a grade and celebrate women's history...I would take issue with that..its an accurate word...I'm sorry if you misunderstood.

• Look at the boys answers on here...obviously many of them feel offended by it...and also one mother reported that

"her 9-year-old son came home "in tears" after getting the assignment.

"My son was very upset," said Janine Giandomenico. "He said, 'Mommy, please don't make me do this.'"

"Giandomenico said her son has Asperger's syndrome, a social interaction disorder, and she feared he would expose himself to ridicule from other students if he participated in the show."

• I don't girls understand this very well because its a lot easier for girls to dress masculine than for boys to dress feminine..it nis Degrading!!! not because women are inferior...that wasn't my point...I absolutely don't belive that in any sense...but because some boys would find it emascultating which would affect their self-esteem because they are BOYS....its not because women are inferior, its just because boys would feel emascualted..and if you don't belive me....

• Forcing is wrong...

• It can be wrong is a good way... ;)

• Sure they shouldn't be forced, but they shouldn't be condemned for wanting to either, which is a different subject.. In my opinion on this, however, if it is such a big deal to you then just skip the one day of school and think nothing more of it.

• Look boys don't wana dress like women..teachers get paid to educate all students with OUR tax money..if it was just a voluntary thingor girls to do its fine..but making in mandatory is crossing the line

• Not forcing, it is a choice nonetheless on the students' part. Although I don't think they should have been graded on the costuming, so choosing to skip wouldn't have effected their grade.

• Well this was liek a huge project and they got a big grade for it..plus considering most boys wouldn't like it..thats like forcing half the school to skip

• Ummm NO! Guys shouldn't be forced to dress like girls...they're different people! Let them have their individuality...

• Exactly thank you

• I don't feel like it would benefit boys at all to be required to dress as girls. I think it was pointless and definitely unnecessary for learning about history. It would have been a better idea to have a few students volunteer to dress up rather than having every student do it.

However, during a specific event such as a fashion show celebrating women's fashion, I don't see that it's actually degrading or harmful. It's not like they're requiring them to dress as women for school every day... THAT would be weird.

Seriously... women dress as men all the time, during plays and that kind of thing. Would you call that degrading? Probably not. It's dressing up and playing a part. This isn't so different.

I understand that it's a little easier for women to cross over and blur gender lines, because they don't have the same rigid ideas about being feminine that men do about being masculine. But that doesn't mean it'll kill them to wear girls clothes for a few minutes. During Shakespeare's time men played all the parts, including women, because it wasn't seen as fitting for women to perform on stage.

I see why it would have been a little iffy to have boys dress as girls in this situation. But I definitely wouldn't call it degrading. I really don't think it would have traumatized them for life or anything. It's clothing, not hormone injections or something.

• Okay... I DID agree that it was wrong to have it be a requirement... and I do see why a lot of boys wouldn't want to do it. I think the main thing I disagree with is that it would be degrading. When you say that I feel like you mean the act of boys wearing girls clothes is degrading, and I can't agree with that. But maybe that's not what you meant. Either way, again, I do think they were right to decide not to do it.

• "I understand that it's a little easier for women to cross over and blur gender lines" try "Alot easier"

And if some1 wants to be in a play that's their choice...they are not gettin graded over it (btw this was a large project making up a consioderable amount of teh kids grades) I should also mention the event was going to videotaped. and this was 3 graders btw....its def "iffy" so y do it?

• Traumatize no..but its still not rite..but I should mention one mother who called in said "her 9-year-old son came home "in tears" after getting the assignment.

-from the fox news article

• Show Older
  • The erxercise itself is pointless, I don't see how kids would benefit from that. but if you think dressing like a woman is degrading, maybe you think being a female is degrading? Do you cross-dressers are 'lesser' men because they like to wear women's clothing? If you do, then there is something wrong with your values and the way you evaluate people...otherwise chose your words carefully if that's not what you meant.

• Well, its much more socially acceptable for girls to dress masculine....but I think still it would be equally wrong to force girls to dress like men. an overall in that case is a functional issue ur not being asked to wear it to a mock fashion show and be graded on it.

• How come that if girls were asked to dress like boys, most of them wouldn't find it degrading? Sometimes I'm required to wear men's overall in the workshop, because there are none for women. Should I find that degrading? Or you know what...man up and deal with it. And stop whinging.

• No, being a female is not degrading, being a male and forced to dress or act like a female is degrading. Being a cross dresser is someone choice, they are comfortable with it, a boy who has no desire to is a different story....the mother who called the school did so because her son came home in tears over it ...It's degrading for many guys...those who choose it are expressing themselves

• that is so horrible , boy shouldnt be forced to do that

• thats really stupid. lemme guess it was probably one of those ultra liberal "my mind is so open my brains fell out" states in the NE? what does dressing like a woman have to do with anything? come on

• New Jersey lol

• Imagine if they made white kids paint their skin brown for black history month.

• WHOOOH!! You're awesome for saying that

• Hahahaha.....good point...thatd be seen as disrespectful

• Show More
  • when I was in school I always was interested in why girlsdressed differently from boys. I wasvery jealous of girls I liked their kilt school skirts and knee length socks. I wish that things were different and that those boys who wanted to wear skirts and that were tollerated and girls who wanted to wear trousers could to. Iwould've dreamed that I was forced to take all my male clothes off and then dress in girls bra, frilly knickers blouse jumper a pleated skirt, white knee length socks and mary jane shoes, then had to attend school all day dressed like that. but it never happened...

• What that sounds like an awful idea?

• Yeah, forcing it on people is definately wrong. I dislike our polaristic grouping for gender - being told your a boy from your birth on, essentially, just cos you have a penis. I don't dig that.There's more than that, I mean, its all hormones. And I dress like a girl, I've dabbled in transvestism, lah-de-dah. But I still don't think forcing it on kids is cool, man. If they want to, f***ing let them. The kids in my mum's nursery always wear the dresses and stuff in dress-up play stuff, hahaha. I love it. But I mean, if they feel uncomfortable with it, don't MAKE them.

Although for this, I gotta say, if your gonna let them choose, f*** the parents on this occassion. Kids gotta make this decision, you know?

• glad we don't have this kind of crap here in holland, every month here is white male history month

• That sounds like child abuse to me.

Look, I'm for equal rights. I'm for equal pay, I've for an end to domestic violence. No means no, as does lack of yes. I'm for the women's right to education, to health care, to basic human rights (in some countries/cultures) and to not be treated like property.

I'm ALSO for equal rights, meaning that men should be treated with respect. I'm sick to death of "all men are bastards". Or a woman getting a job to 'correct numbers'. I'm also for breast cancer awareness for MEN (men can get it, but it's often treated like a women's problem, right down to the information pamphlets and logos).

As for this specifically, why should guys have to wear women's clothes to understand them? What utter nonsense. Does this mean they'll have 'strapon' day where all the girls have to wear a strapon and urinate standing up?

• do one thing...just F*ck them!...dont giv them a sh!t...and don't wear anything girly!

• one, where is this school, two, do you have the story available... three... whay kinda f***ed-up bullsh*t is this? Thius is f***ing retarded... Fucked up.

• no I hear a lawsuit coming there. someones gona get their ass suied!

• NOT A GOOD IDEA !

• Yeah... My kid would get an "F" that day.

Or I guess I could send him dressed like K.D. Lang.

• Not that 3rd Grade grades f***ing matter though, ey? LOL.

• Of course it's a stupid move. Quite frankly I don't understand how the idea was even brought up. A board meeting or something?

Principal:You know, we really need to celebrate Women's History Month.

Teacher:I have an idea!

: And that is?

Teacher: Let's make everyone dress and girls for a fashion show!

Principle: That's brilliant! Force the boys into a situation where they'll surely be laughed at while enforcing gender rules that women only love and care about fashion! Surely there's truly no better way to appreciate the role women have played in shaping history!

• In my opinion it would be a lot of fun to dress up as girls for a day! Now, I'm not gay but I think It'd be pretty cool. I've always kind of thought it would be better to be a girl too.

• Thats cool...we did a senior prank where boys and girl switched skirts and pants (it was a catholic school so all the girls wore skirts) but forcing it on someone is wrong

• The problem with our world is that it's pseudo-liberal while in fact it is oppressive in so many ways... politically correct ways.

• Amen

• Haha, that is kind of twisted. True, a stupid move by the school. Opposite-gender characteristics should never be "forced" on anyone, ESPECIALLY young kids. I could say more but I'll leave it at that.

• Holy hell what is wrong with people these days..

• If I had a son that would be the last day he spend at that school

• I think that's f***ing retarded! It's one thing if you want to do that, but making other people do it too! Come on, use some common sense!

• I would never cross dress, I would probally just skip school and if they asked why I would say because I'm a man and not ever going to dress like a woman.

• Do you have a link to this story?

• Http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/13/nj-school-cancels-cross-dressing-fashion-complaints/

• Http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/publius-forum/2010/04/nj-grade-schools-makes-kids-dress-as-women-for-womans-history-month----yes-even-boys.html

• Jeez, stop being such bitches. Wearing a dress for a few runs down a catwalk won't kill you, hahah. I'd do it, but then again, not everyone is as awesome as me ;0

• Show More