Do orgasms ease period cramps?

I have severe cramps when I am on my period. Nothing seems to ease them. My friend told me that having an orgasm would help significantly. Is this true? I've never tried before because I'm a heavy bleeder and I thought it would be gross. Has anyone tried this before? Does it really help calm the pain?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have horrendous cramps and I'm a heavy bleeder too. Like you I never wanted to touch myself during my period because eww messy and stuff. However I tried it when I was on my period last and my god I actually got a full nights sleep! It made the cramps pretty much disappear and strangely the bleeding was less the next day :S. Have fun but if it doesn't make it better my Dr has me on mefanamic acid which helps a lot.

What Guys Said 8

• Orgasms can cause your uterus to contract, enabling it to use up excess prostaglandins in the process. Prostagladins are hormones produced by your uterine lining. They help to stimulate contractions that move menstrual blood out of the uterus, and are also responsible for those cramps that occur throughout your period.

Moreover, female orgasms relieve migraines as well.

• Yes.

• I have no idea, but I'm using this. Thanks!

• I've heard that marijuana can help, but only do it if you have a prescription, and it's legal in your area.

• About it being gross ? if you have just a clitoral orgasm, no mess.

• Orgasm releases a hormone that relaxes the uterus but only last so long!

• Orgasms are good.

• Orgasms get rid of my headaches.

What Girls Said 3

• I never knew so many guys got period pains lol. for me it actually makes the pain worse so I just stick to the usual painkillers, hot water bottle and chocolate. but you won't know if it works for you until you try it yourself

• I was about to post an update talking about all the guy comments. lol I'm so glad some girls finally answered!

Medicine isn't much help. :/ I've tried heating pads, too. Food makes them worse.

• I have heard some girls say it helps but it makes it worse for me. I guess it is worth trying just so you know but I haven't had any luck.

• I have to agree with bumble-bee who knew so many guys knew so much about a woman's period lol. It does help for me but only briefly after the orgasm here come the cramps again. Do you take Advil that usually works way better then sex.

• Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Ibuprofen, Tylenol. I've tried them all. haha I guess I'm just one of those girls who will have to suffer through the week.