How many sexual partners does the average college girl have?

I recently read a survey which said that women have an average of 3 sexual partners. Now it didn't confine this to ages and didn't explain the statistics, but I think this is a very inaccurate portrayal of the average woman today. College offers suitable social conditions and an ample supply of the opposite sex to have lots of sexual partners, if you so wished. Now it can be reasonably accepted that the average woman can gain a sexual encounter than the average man (note the word average). I'd like a girl to tell me honestly how many sexual partners they or their girlfriends tend to have in any college year. I'm aware that girls tend to underestimate their sexual history (and guys overestimate). Some girls tend to cry foul about this, that they will be "judged" as loose. Well I'll be honest here, I would judge a girl who has a long list of casual partners. I would not be impressed by it. That's just me; I can't speak for other men though I'm sure many think the same way. Leaving that aside - we're on the Internet now and it's pretty well anonymous - I'd like girls to give me an honest figure for statistical purposes. I'd say it's quite commonplace for the average college girl to have (a) a lot of sexual partners and (b) a lot more than guys tend to. Insight and honesty appreciated.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Well, I'm not friends with a lot of the stereotypical "college girls," but a lot of us aren't stereotypical and you're looking for an average so there you go. Among my friends, we tend to have either 0 partners or just 1 partner in a given year. I'm in my second year of college and have had no sexual partners over that time (or ever, for that matter); the same goes for my two best friends. My roommate last year was the same. Another of my close friends has only ever had sex with her current boyfriend, and even then not until they had been together for nearly a year. It's not that I hang out with a particularly religious crowd. Although most of my friends are, they don't cite that as the reason they abstain from sex. Most just do it because they feel that sex is more important than people tend to value it today, and because of the emotional attachment that goes along with sex for them. And also, for the record, I attend a large public university where it is considered the standard thing to go out and get drunk and get laid on the weekend, and I don't believe that there's anything wrong with that life choice. There's just lots of us who choose not to. While I see and agree with your point, that a girl who wants sex can probably get it without too much trouble as compared to a guy, the fact that guys don't have hundreds of girls lining up to have sex with them just shows that on average, girls take sex more seriously than guys, and are more likely to wait for a person they care about. That's how I see it anyway.

• Women have it easy. They have guys lining up to meet them, hoping to get something. The hardest thing a woman has to do is select her partners. She does not have put out any effort at all, especially if she is even remotely hot. As the other commenter said, (paraphrased) more partners leads to a more frivolous and/or promiscuous attitude towards sex.

• I would think the exact opposite actually. With far more possible partners, women are more likely to have a frivilous attitude to sex.

What Girls Said 18

I'm 19 and in my first year at college. I lost my virginity at 16 and had sex with three people before college, 10 during and 1 whilst I've been at home. I've also never been in a relationship.
    >>These guys need to understand that girls have sexual needs too and my work and career are going to be the most important thing in my life for the next ten years. I don't have time to find 'the one'. Sex and love are completely different things for me.

• OK mr. mathematical genius. When speaking of heterosexual people, the AVEAGE number of sex partners for men has to be roughly equal the AVERAGE number for women. The reason is simple -- each time a guy has sex, a girl has sex, and vice versa. There are roughly the same number of men and women in the "sexually active" years. There are more women than women in total, but that's because men die younger than women do on average, but until age 40, the number of living people is about the same, and it is prior to age 40 that most people rack up all those different sex partners (most over 40 people are settled in and doing it with just one person, or if they are really old, they don't do it at all anymore). Women do tend to be on the lower side, or the much higher side. By that I mean, there are a lot more women that are saving it until marriage (thus only one lifetime partner), and at the same time, there are a lot more women who have been with more than 20 people (like the high school slut that took a bunch of guy's viringity, or the college party sluts) or a prostitute who has been with way over 100. Guys tend to not be in the "saving it" category nor the "over 20" category as much as women. Still, the AVERAGE for both men and women is virutally the same.

• 19d

@ TheMechanic -- you are one dumb dude. Go back to sixth grade and learn math again.

• That's assuming that it's a different guy and a different girl each time, which any guy will tell you is not the case. I remember a statistic floating around that says 30% of guys have sex with 60% of the women, or something close to that. I think most guys would admit this is probably true. Therefore The average girl has more partners than the average guy but the above average guy has more partners than an above average girl.

• I'm in my third year of college. I lost my virginity at 16. I will be turning 21 soon and right now my current number is at 17 partners, 12 of which I've had while in college. About a fourth of them are friends with benefits relationships and only one of them was a boyfriend. The rest were one night stands. I'm currently trying to get myself to slow down because I actually want to settle. Hope this helps!

• That is a lot I think. But if you are happy with it and enjoying yourself and being safe its totally cool !

• I'm 24 now and I first started having sex when I was 22. Quite late for an average girl.However, in these 3 years, I had 12 sexual partners. That, too, considering I was in a one year relationship that ended last month (never cheated).

• okay, so honestly I have been thinking about this a lot lately and its really been bugging me. personally, I am 24. my number is 28. when first figuring this out I totally panicked and freaked. yes, I am more than a bit of a partier- but after contemplating it, I decided that I have just been looking for the right one. I think that maybe the people who are in the single digits and are uppity about it have to realize that not all of us are lucky enough to find true love when we are 18. maybe sometimes it takes a lot of shopping around to get it right. good for you that you found mr. perfect, if you know another one can you introduce me? maybe I'm picky, or maybe I am just easy. but you know what? I'm happy. and you know what else? I still love sex.

• I am female (recently turned 24) and I spent 5 years at college. I really believe this depends on the individual and their circumstances. As you say, college offers suitable conditions to have lots of sexual partners. In my opinion, alcohol is the single biggest cause of promiscuity among college students in Ireland. Alcohol consumption causes inhibitions to be loosened and often results in a person sleeping with someone and not being able to remember the experience the next morning and regret it. I believe that if someone is intoxicated, they are not in a fit state to consent to sex with another person. Sadly, many men and perhaps women take advantage of people who are intoxicated which I believe to be morally wrong. I personally have had 7 sexual partners, one of the 7 I attribute to being 'taken advantage of' while stociously drunk. Of the remaining 6, 4 partners were guys I liked and had been dating (I was not seeing anyone else while I was seeing them but they were not committed relationships), 1 was a drunken one-night stand with a guy I knew and the other was a casual fling with a friend (always drunken). All of these sexual experiences have been throughout my college years. Female friends of similar age have slept with between 4-12 guys. I have also spoken to females of the same age who have slept with 20+. I believe that many young women will not be honest about their 'number' because they feel they will considered 'promiscuous' or labeled 'easy' by guys. This is a completely honest answer, hope it shed some light for you.

• i'm 18, coming up for 19, and in my second year of university, currently I have had 32(I think) sexual partners. the majority of these were one night stands, two were boyfriends and one or two were repeat performances. four of these were also due to threesomes. hope this helps.

• I'm nineteen and have been in college for 2 years. I've had sex with 6 guys while in college; I hadn't had sex at all before going to college, so that works out to about 3 guys a year on average. Only 2 of them were boyfriends, and the rest were one night stands that I (mainly) regret. I think that's a reasonable number though. Some of my friends my age have had sex with over 100 guys and some have had sex with less than 3. I don't think any number below five represents a realistic average, although obviously I judge my friends who have had many sexual partners, and myself when I have a one night thing with a random guy. I consider myself fairly responsible and non-whoreish and I would say that anything between 5 and 10 guys during college is commonplace for girls. Bear in mind that girls often round down their numbers of sexual partners, and men usually round up. Girls should definitely have the right to sleep around without being judged unfairly in relation to guys. But with that being said, just because we have the right to sleep around doesn't mean its always a good call.

• I am only 25. I may be old fashioned, especially for a girl on the south shore of Massachusetts, but I graduated high school a virgin. (It didn't last too much longer than that, but hey). For my first few years of college I had one steady boyfriend who I had sex with on a regular basis. After college I had one lover who I saw casually after the first relationship had ended, then, a couple of years later I entered another long term sexual relationship, which brings me to where I am now.That makes 3 for me, so far, at 25. Compared to most girls I know my number is pretty conservative.That being said, I LOOOOOOVE my sex life. It is very active (i.e. more than 7 times / week) and I think very fulfilling. I don't think less of girls who have had more partners than I have, but I consider my way best for me, and I feel that the way I act is respectful to both myself and my partners. For me, its about the quality, not the quantity.

• im not in college even yet and I've had like 18 or 19. after a breakup with my 1st boyfriend, of 2 years, I had a crazy drunken stage and within 3 months had about 12 new guys. wish none of that ever happened but it just happened.. but I agree. I think its a lot higher than that survey said because I know so many girls with at least 7 partners, and they are under 20 years old

• Before coming to college I had only had sex with one other person which was my long term boyfriend. The first week of college I broke up with him and had sex with someone else. Its now the end of my first semester, and I've accumulated 5 new sexual partners. Although none of these people were one night stands. And after having sex a pseudo-relationship ensued, but the tempts of college with all the freedom and independence has made me remain single.

• I'm 30 and I have had 28 partners.

• Well, I came to college already in a relationship and now that I am in my sophomore year I can easily say I've only had one partner (my boyfriend) since starting school. Based on my friends, I can also tell you the average number of sexual partners is one, but keep in mind we've only completed one year of college.

• since being in college, I've only had 2

• Well, I was very promiscuous as a teenager, so by the time I was in college I had had sex with almost 40 people and that is not counting "other" things, like oral sex. Now once I got in college I totally slowed down and only had sex with 4 people the entire time before getting married.

• Me + sexual partners = 0 That is my honest opinion - I don't have any sexual partners at the moment and I'm in college. My friends however in a year if counted altogether had over 2 tops!

• After high school and before college tends to be a wild time. Full of freedom and exploration. For me personally I did tend to have a lot of sex with different guys. I don't know how long this phase tends to last. I still really enjoy it to this day. But with only one man. So to answer your question. Yes college is definitely a sexploration time. Will it last. That depends on the woman.

• I had one sexual partner in college. I married him. I hate saying this but, I wish I would have had more so I could have experienced more. I am not a hoe by any means, but I wish I would have dated around. I had friends who would sleep with a different guy every weekend. I lost respect for them in a way.

What Guys Said 6

• Wow all these woman are complete whores... I'm 28 and grew up dirt poor.. and while everyone else was out being whores apparently I was trying to get family out of poverty .. and id rather die alone.. than lose half my wealth and all my self respect on little miss pass my p**** around.. you bitches nedd some self respect and self control

• My god your husband is supposed to be it! You know what it feel like to know your wife had sex with 30, 100. My wife slept with 5 including me. And she regrets ever one of them, later in life things change! Guys to tho they need to keep it in there pants my wife is my only.

• I know I am a little bit late on this topic but I found it while looking for something else.Well first off, I have to agree with the fact that women tend to "fall" into sex more so than men. I believe that any woman, big or small, tall or skinny can walk into a room with a few guys and say "who wants to have sex tonight?" and at least one of those guys, if not all of them, will raise their hand up and volunteer themselves. Where as a man, can NOT do that unless he is a movie star or athlete.I am a 23 year old male with 4 years of completed college. Now while my numbers don't matter because the question pertains to womens sexual encounters. I have had 168 sexual partners, with my current love of my life sleeping next to me on the bed, she makes 169 approx. Its a little hard to count when you have "dry spells".As for women though, It all depends on certain "variables". Where did she grow up? Did she have brothers who were protective? Is she a preachers daughter? (kidding) Does she have an addictive personality? Is she self-conscious about how others might view her depending upon that? Usually the answers are simple, as a few women have said previously.. women tend to group together who are similar, like-minded if you will. Birds of a feather, flock together... Still, overall, I believe the average to be anywhere from 3-15. There is a saying about always take a womans number and multiply it by 3 to find the true number of sexual partners and divide the guys number by 3 to find his true number of partners. (kind of the under-estimate/over-estimate part)There's my 2 cents

• i think the average man or women has about 5 in a lifetime I'm 23 and I've had 2 its not that easy when you have morals and aren't up for little meaningless flings but the worlds a bit odd now days not to mention the old addage goes man cheats on woman personally from my exp its the other way around esp when your young, not to mention I don't go out much to bars and clubs where most of the "hipsters"/ money grubs congrigate ;) but I am italian so I have my looks and personality

• It depends. It is a small community college, or a big university? Is she shy, or outgoing? In 4 years, it could be anywhere from 1 partner, to 40 or 50 partners. There's really no average on this type of statistic.

• Normally some sort of statistical average does arise.Culture and cultural trends happen in waves - they don't happen in isolation.I don't quite get the reason for denying an average exists - which in fact could represent a large amount of the female college population. Obfuscation? Fear of "judging"? I don't get it.

• Averages would depend on your environment and who you hang out with. If you are quite sexual active then you're perception would be that girls seem to have a lot of partners. If you are abstaining then your perception would be that many of the girls are saving themselves as well We tend to seek out people who are like minded for friends so it is quite hard ask for "averages" in my opinion. Take spring break for an example. If I were to survey how promiscuous women were, spring break would be the wrong venue to base an opinion on.

• I slept with 14 guys. 3 in high school, 10 in college, and 1 after college. I was in a relationship that lasted one month or longer with 7 of the guys.The other 7 guys were "one night stands" and I had no friendship ties with 3 of those 7 guys. Also I don't remember 2 of the guy's names. I cheated on several of my partners.I wish I would have been more careful about protection because I have HPV and I need surgery to remove cells from my cervix that have the potential to become cancerous ;(

• No it wouldn't be because it would contribute to the overall average.