Where do girls have cramps during your period?

Are the cramps in your abdomen, lower back, thighs, where? Do these cramps make it difficult to walk sit or lye down? How bad do they hurt? Will a back rub or massage from your boyfriend or husband be beneficial for those cramps?

Also when you say bloating is a problem for you, does that mean you have a little more flatulence?

Most Helpful Girl

• My period is normally pretty terrible. I get extremely bad cramps all over my abdomen. Because of the way the nerves are in the body, the pain often extends down into my upper legs as well. It's a deep bone ache and often gets to be a constant pain, so I end up taking a lot of painkillers. It definitely makes it difficult to walk and lying down can be uncomfortable too. If I remain in one position for a long time, then it hurts a lot when I move. A really hard massage can help some, I think it loosens up the muscles a little. What really helps is heat, so I take a shower with the water as hot as I can stand and it really makes a difference. A rub or massage would be comforting though, even if it doesn't help with the actual physical pain, it's always nice to know that you're cared for.

Bloating can mean flatulence, but when I use the term, I am usually referring to a feeling that is a mixture of nausea and feeling kind of fat, like after eating a really big meal. Some of this feeling comes from the water retention that takes place around the time of the period. It's worse for some people than others, but drinking a lot of tea helps some since it works like a diuretic.

GAG Video of the Day

GirlsAskGuys on the streets of Chicago!

What Girls Said 13

• Cramps, for me, tend to be in the lower abdomen; basically, I feel like there's someone constantly kicking me in the uterus. Usually they're manageable, just like a really bad stomachache that won't go away for a couple days...a steady, constant pain. Sometimes, though, it will get really bad out of nowhere, or I will wake up and they're really bad.

While a backrub would certainly be appreciated, really more for the gesture and the kindness of it than the actual physical sensation, the only thing that really helps when they're that bad is to apply a heating pad and just curl up on the bed in a fetal position. Or to take a LOT of pills. There was one time I had cramps so bad that I knew I wouldn't be functional the whole day, so I took about 5 or 6 Advil and was out cold within half an hour. I knew there was no way I'd be able to get to sleep any other way. Slept from 10 am to 6 pm. Thank God it was a Saturday. ;)

Bloating doesn't really refer to flatulence, haha, although some girls do experience that around this time. It just means that our pants fit tighter and we feel like we've gained a lot of weight very suddenly. But after our period's over it goes back to normal.

• Abdomen. For me, anyway. It's usually a pretty dull pain, but it can be bad enough that you can't even think. For me, the only thing that helps the cramps are curling up and using a heating pad. The most beneficial thing you could do in the interests of making her happier would be just helping her with anything she asks for. Movement makes it worse.

Bloating may cause more flatulence, or it may just feel like it. And your pants start fitting a bit tighter...

• You have to use a heating pad every month! That's terrible; I'm sorry to hear that.

• Well, fortunately, I don't have bad cramps every month. Usually, it's just enough to make me cranky and uncomfortable. But there are some women who can't function while on their periods.

• For me its not all that bad, some months can be worse then others though. My cramps are in my Abdomen there pretty light unless its a bad month. Bloating again isn't that bad for me, my pants get a little tighter but all good.

• my cramps are horrible. I don't want to sound gross, but it feels like I have to poop really bad and can't. it's like...dull and achy. mine are always pretty fierce in my lower abdomen and lower back. sometimes they come in waves, and it gives me goosebumps until it passes.

bloating sometimes means gassy, but usually it's just feeling fat and retaining more water weight than usual.

backrubs are great, but if you really wanna make a a girl love you forever, find one of those rice packs that you microwave, heat it up for her, and let her lay on it on her stomach while you massage her lower back. and offer to get her some motrin.

you are a wonderful man for caring.

• It hurts too many places to count.

Mostly the back and front for me. Massages sometimes work, but heat and Gods Gift: pills will usually help me. I use a clean sock, fill it with uncooked rice, tie it off, and place it in the microwave for a couple of minutes, and there you go! A nice heating pad. Cramps is like you just got kicked in the gut, and the pain is not going away. Guys always say when we are mad " Oh, you must be on your period" not always, but then again, if you are in constant pain, you are not going to be peachy 24/7.

• When I'm on my period it's awful. I have horrible cramps in my back, lower back, lower abdomen, and abdomen. Sometimes I use a heating pad which helps a little bit, other times I rely on Midol. It actually got so bad that my doctor had to put me on the pill to lessen the symptoms, and it's still bad. It's pretty sucky when you throw up and get light headed when you're on your period :\ Bloating, yes, pretty much ALWAYS, 'flatulence'? Not so much. But I think even the gesture of a boyfriend offering to give me a backrub would be mice.

More from Girls
8

What Guys Said 0