Why women choose to pose naked for Playboy magazines?

I recently read a question here asking why women choose to pose naked for playboy magazines, I thought this was quite an interesting topic, the... Show More

What I mean by "representation of women as a whole" is we don't look at the girl as an individual person at all but think of how she represents other women and what message that gives out.
That's another good point , what do you think about men posing naked? And do women have any interest in seeing men naked? Do "men find it empowering to be photographed naked and sexy and have women drool over them?"

By the way I'm not expressing my own views on the subject here but the views of those in my class when it was discussed at a lecture at college, a majority of girls said they felt it was empowering (and the other things I mentioned above) others found it
offensive. I wanted to further anaylse peoples views on the subject and that's why I posted it here. Not many guys wanted to express there views openly infront of everyone and I believe I will get more honest answers here. Thanks
Thats really interesting, how do these women feel after they finish with this kind of career, are they proud of it or not and does it leaves scars? These are some good questions (If anyone has any experience in this please share)

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I think posing nude and being in Playboy are two different things. I can't say that I am for or against the practice as a rule but I am curious about the route.

If the woman is seeking empowerment through revealing her naked body why is she choosing a masturbatory tool to do it? Cause that's all Playboy, Penthouse, or porn is. It's a tool for masturbation. No matter what the magazine is going to tell you. Their purpose is not art but commerce through pornography.

There are many tasteful, beautiful, classy artistic representations of naked women in paintings, photography, and sculpture. It is done in a manner to show the beauty of the human form. Like it would show the beauty of a mountain or the ocean. Most people do not criticize women who choose this route. Whether that's right or not, I can't say but it is something to consider.

Like the question arises, if the women who pose for pornography are in fact proud of their bodies, why have most of them gone through extensive plastic surgery to alter their bodies to get in Playboy? Most women in Playboy do not have their own natural breasts. Few probably have their natural noses, hair color, or lip size. So it leaves most people wondering what the motive is.

I think it can be comparable to something like dance. There are erotic dances. Bellydance can be immensely sensual and requires years and years of dedication from the woman doing it. I think most people can see why that is an empowering thing. But does that mean strippers deserve the same sense of empowerment simply because they are willing to take their clothes off when they dance?

I think sometimes people misinterpret exhibitionism for empowerment.

Asker upvoted
    • It is empowering to those women individually because desirability directly translates to power, but it sure as hell isn't empowering for women in a general sense, rather it is akin to one woman ascending at the cost of every other.

• Show Older
    • Thats really interesting, how do these women feel after they finish with this kind of career, are they proud of it or not and does it leaves scars? These are some good questions (If anyone has any experience in this please share)

• I don't know if all have scars. I can't say that all looked back and hated it. I just know some girls who will say that they feel empowered by it when people ask but to their close friends, they have all the thoughts of feeling dirty, like a slut, like they were used. They suffer with depression and frequently feel like men want nothing more than sex and just want to use women for their pleasure. Women or men weren't meant to do sexual things for money. We just aren't. It can leave wounds.