Why women choose to pose naked for Playboy magazines?

I recently read a question here asking why women choose to pose naked for playboy magazines, I thought this was quite an interesting topic, the original question asker is no longer discussing this topic. When we see images of women posing naked in such magazines, most see her as an individual, she is in control, proud of her body, happy to show it off and so she is said to be empowered by her sexuality. She is also making a living out of what she is doing and is using her body to her advantage. The key thing here I believe is the fact that when we look at these images of women we see an individual and not women as a mass. We don’t tend to think of how this image represents women as a whole but instead we choose to assess the individual. I am interested to know what your opinion is of women posing naked for such magazines, do you see her as an individual or as a mass representation of women, this is a question for both guys and girls.

What I mean by "representation of women as a whole" is we don't look at the girl as an individual person at all but think of how she represents other women and what message that gives out.
That's another good point , what do you think about men posing naked? And do women have any interest in seeing men naked? Do "men find it empowering to be photographed naked and sexy and have women drool over them?"
By the way I'm not expressing my own views on the subject here but the views of those in my class when it was discussed at a lecture at college, a majority of girls said they felt it was empowering (and the other things I mentioned above) others found it
offensive. I wanted to further anaylse peoples views on the subject and that's why I posted it here. Not many guys wanted to express there views openly infront of everyone and I believe I will get more honest answers here. Thanks
Thats really interesting, how do these women feel after they finish with this kind of career, are they proud of it or not and does it leaves scars? These are some good questions (If anyone has any experience in this please share)

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Well, I think posing nude and being in Playboy are two different things. I can't say that I am for or against the practice as a rule but I am curious about the route. If the woman is seeking empowerment through revealing her naked body why is she choosing a masturbatory tool to do it? Cause that's all Playboy, Penthouse, or porn is. It's a tool for masturbation. No matter what the magazine is going to tell you. Their purpose is not art but commerce through pornography. There are many tasteful, beautiful, classy artistic representations of naked women in paintings, photography, and sculpture. It is done in a manner to show the beauty of the human form. Like it would show the beauty of a mountain or the ocean. Most people do not criticize women who choose this route. Whether that's right or not, I can't say but it is something to consider. Like the question arises, if the women who pose for pornography are in fact proud of their bodies, why have most of them gone through extensive plastic surgery to alter their bodies to get in Playboy? Most women in Playboy do not have their own natural breasts. Few probably have their natural noses, hair color, or lip size. So it leaves most people wondering what the motive is.I think it can be comparable to something like dance. There are erotic dances. Bellydance can be immensely sensual and requires years and years of dedication from the woman doing it. I think most people can see why that is an empowering thing. But does that mean strippers deserve the same sense of empowerment simply because they are willing to take their clothes off when they dance? I think sometimes people misinterpret exhibitionism for empowerment.

• It is empowering to those women individually because desirability directly translates to power, but it sure as hell isn't empowering for women in a general sense, rather it is akin to one woman ascending at the cost of every other.

• Show Older
    • Thats really interesting, how do these women feel after they finish with this kind of career, are they proud of it or not and does it leaves scars? These are some good questions (If anyone has any experience in this please share)

• I don't know if all have scars. I can't say that all looked back and hated it. I just know some girls who will say that they feel empowered by it when people ask but to their close friends, they have all the thoughts of feeling dirty, like a slut, like they were used. They suffer with depression and frequently feel like men want nothing more than sex and just want to use women for their pleasure. Women or men weren't meant to do sexual things for money. We just aren't. It can leave wounds.

What Guys Said 4

• "When we see images of women posing naked in such magazines, most see her as an individual, she is in control, proud of her body, happy to show it off and so she is said to be empowered by her sexuality."No, we don't.While I would call this the correct, accurate, decent view, I would NOT call it the predominant view. The predominant view, I think, is wildly misogynist, even (especially?) among women. Glance at the discussions on this site regarding such women. You'll hear a lot of words to describe these women. "Empowered" is rarely one of them. Men, oddly, are rarely discussed at all.I think your view *ought* to be the majority view, but you're mistaken if you think we're there already. We still have some fighting to do.

• By the way I'm not expressing my own views on the subject here but the views of those in my class when it was discussed at a lecture at college, a majority of girls said they felt it was empowering (and the other things I mentioned above) others found it offensive. I wanted to further anaylse peoples views on the subject and that's why I posted it here. Not many guys wanted to express there views openly infront of everyone and I believe I will get more honest answers here. Thanks for the input ^^

• Money.

• My brother-in-law's cousin was a playboy model for a few issues and she said the same thing when I asked her about it. She did it because it made her feel sexy and confident in her self. She said it was a big turning point in her life. I'm a bit fuzzy on what you're asking when you say "representation of women as a whole", so I can't answer that...Personally, I don't see a problem with it. Its your body. Do whatever you want with it.

• Empowerment, independence, pride, empowerment, being in control, empowerment...Oh, and they get paid to.

What Girls Said 2

• I know I would pose if I got the chance. I think these women are very confident and empowered. What I do disagree with is them altering their bodies with plastic surgery just to appeal to men. Its one thing to do it for yourself but quite another to do it for someone else. People should be proud of what god gave them.

• What I don't understand is why more men won't pose naked and why women don't express an interest in seeing men naked. The male body is just as aesthetically pleasing, especially when photographed well and under good lighting... look at these pictures (links below). Why don't we get more photos and websites like targeted at straight women... and why don't men find it empowering to be photographed naked and sexy and have women drool over them? link link link

• Of course it would be empowering for men to be appreciated by women, but women don't want to empower men.

• Show Older
    • If only David Beckham didn't have such a nasally voice.

• Who cares about his voice when you're looking at his picture, I don't even know that because I never bothered to hear him speak - I just look at him :)