• Ask
  • myTake

Why is katy perry setting such bad examples?

link look at the lyrics for that song... girls listen to this sh*t and try to model their lives after this? really? the next generation is truly screwed

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• If anything, you're promoting her song with this youtube video, and this is what the music industry does. It gets people to sing stupid songs, and unfortunately, people who don't know better buy into it while people who do, don't. When she did the song, "Firework," I was done listening. She's just screaming, which isn't what I want to hear after a stressful day.

What Girls Said 12

• She isn't trying to be a role model. That's not her job. She got famous because she sang about kissing a girl, not reciting timetables. It's up to parents to regulate what their kids listen to and watch, and it's up to teachers to give them proper role models. The only reason why children take "pop stars" as examples is because they aren't being exposed to people they can relate to and look up to, which is a definite failure of public schools who barely care enough to get them on grade levels.Young girls who take Perry's words as wisdom probably have a bigger problem we should be concerned about, like lack of parenting and an awful public school system.I work with kids and teens, no one is even looking up to Katy Perry. They care more about Willow Smith, Justin Beiber, Selena Gomez, and Taylor Swift anyways :P

• ummm it's pop,they don't listen to the lyrics,they just listen to whatever is on mtv,and even if they listened to the lyrics,i listen to eminem,and love his lyrics,but it doesn't mean I'm going to go out and shoot people or go out and become a drug addict

• Its just a song. Its not like its the first song that could badly influence children.In fact, there are much worse songs that could...

• Dear Anon,Shes trying to say 15 year olds can have a party like that (Rebecca is 15..katy acts a 15 year old)I see she's helping Rebecca who's just a 15 year old who sang an awful song and got cyber bullied.Im a 17 year old.. I don't take music lyrics seriously I just like to sing along, the things that they say in songs aren't things I would do(I know what's right and what's not). And I know I would raise my kids well, even if they listen to a song like this, I know they won't be influenced by a mere song, and that I raised them to differentiate between what's wrong and what's right.I do not care for the next generation I care for my family :]Sincerely,IMAQT xx

• 15 year olds streak naked in the park, skinny dip, and have threesomes? that's interesting

• Show Older
    • Or I didn't mean they do **

• Besides the threesomes, yeah it happens.

• It's bout being young and reckless and enjoying your life, don't take it word by word

• but think about music a couple years ago and music now... I truly believe this new generation of teens is screwed

• Show Older
    • I totally agree with QA, compared to 30 or 40 years ago the subject music deals with have changed a lot. But, like I said, when Katy Perry sings bout skinny dipping, threesomes and drinking alcohol in excess, it's because people want to hear it, not the other way around.Also, almost all songs are roughly like a poem and exagerattion is used as stylistic device there

• Infact, if you really wanna get into it, Jim Morrison was lusted after by almost every teenage girl in the 60s, and he had a song called 'My Cock', where he compared his **** to Jesus Christ. They also had a heroin dealer who sold Mechanical Dildos. I don't see Katy running around with too many Mechanical Dildos, man.

• I strongly dislike that song. And it's overplayed here...

• I get nauseous every time I hear that song.

• it's just a fun song. stop taking things so seriously

• It's not, it's aimed at teenagers and talks about breaking all the rules, getting wasted drunk, having threesomes and more

• Lol so you mean living their lives the way men have been living theirs for a while? How about guys set a better example instead of holding us to a double standard.

• I don't know of any men in my very large friend circle that live like that, I urge you to look at the lyrics again

• That's just Katy Perry's idea of a fun night I guess, few women live like that.

• lol they might be screwed but its not because of Katy PerryChristina Aguilera in her dirty phase was way worse than what kids these days are exposed to. She was my idol but do you think my parents would ever allow me to act like that? NO WAY IN HELLpeople these days are so quick to put blame on famous people. Yeah Katy Perry is making songs like that but god forbid parents have to actually...*gasp* PARENT! If you as a parent are not the boss of your kid then that's your fault and not any famous person's

• hahahaha I guess I can see where you're coming from but I enjoy that I can relate to that song so much :')

• good for you lol

• youre easy?

• no...

• Really? It's just a song about having a crazy night. I'm sure everyone has had an experience like that in some form, if not, your kind of boring. But music is just music; most girls who like the song will sing it/download it onto their mp3's, but it's not like hearing the song will automaticly make them act that way. Believe it or not, women can think for themselves, and don't let what some pop icon sings about dictate how we behave. That's like saying all the guys who listen to eminem act like wannabe gansters and want to live in a trailer park.Makes no damn sense.

• 15 year olds streak naked in the park, skinny dip, and have threesomes? sh*t when I was 15 I was playing video games and sports lol

• Show Older
    • no if you watch the video it's very clear that she is supposed to be at least under 16

• Yea, the video was idiotic, but honestly, what 16 and under teens have access to something similar to a party like that? Most house partys get broken up by the police, or are really boring because none of the kids want to do anything really. No girl wants to be called a whore, and most teenage boys are too afraid to talk to a girl. The video is just a fantasy about some amazing party. Most movies demonstrate teenage parties like that too so...

What Guys Said 11

• Ten years ago, it was Britney Spears the nervous nellies were bleating over. Twenty years ago, Madonna. We got past those, we'll get past this.

• Not a lot of them listen to the actual lyricsLook at how many people listen to Eminem, Jay Z, and 50 Cent but you don't get mass shootings and stuff, for the few who do you can't blame it on the music as there other more important factors same for the Katy Perry song, I doubt they are going to go out and instantly copy her

• With your logic, our generation was screwed up as well.This isn't the first generation that the music is not setting a good example, because the role of music is NOT to set an example: It is to REFLECT what is ALREADY THERE in the society.Music is not a tool to say "We should be like this." - It is a tool to say "We ARE like this."At least, that's my opinion on music.I only like a song if it "resonates" with my current mood, thoughts, feelings, etc. (By "resonates", I mean "matches".)If this music is being liked, this means that there are ALREADY people like this, so the music is not SETTING the example, it is REFLECTING the example.

• umm I hate katy perry, but I love this song. You my friend can go f*** yourself. And I can say that confidently w.o checking the anon button

• lol you said I'm dumb but you listen to dumb music I guess that says a lot about you

• TWO questions for you>>>>>>1. Who gives one f***? 2. Did you know you can get a girl to let you put your d*** in her vagina! It feels great, you should probably extend yourself to more worthy goals and stop listening to katy perry then debating what kind of a model she is to little girls. :DHave a great day Pussy

• what? I already have a girlfriend.. what does that have anything to do with this?

• That a man was staggered by this song enough to care is what it has to do with this. Pussy

• I wasn't staggered by it, it's just a thought that came to my headguess who's getting constant stable p**** every night? now guess who isn't?ok now f*** off

• So you pick that song. What about something like "Firework"? If that were a role model song it would be a great one.

• Plus who the f*** changes how they act from a song anyway? I never have.

• she sang one decent meaningful song but a million other songs about being promiscuous etc etc.

• Eh if people grow up to be like that then I blame them and the parents.

• "but think about music a couple years ago and music now"Actually QA, answer me this. Nevermind me giving you examples of music that'd have a bad influence. Answer me this; when has there EVER BEEN a time when music had a good influence on children?Big Frank Sinatra, with his drugs and his casanova attitude? All the clean-cut 40s do-wop singers, with their gang ties? Mozart, spending most of his life blind drunk and pennyless? Was there a good decade for music? The 90s, with the advent of RAVE, bringing with it MDMA, rampant sex and violence? The 80s, with its Sex Scandal culture and its bondage references? The 70s, with its amphetamine fuelled discos and its class-war mentality punk era? The 60s, with free love, psychedelic drugs and people like CHARLES MANSON making music? The 50s, with rock 'n' roll, ie. cleanly stating 'screw your parents, dance with girls and black people'? The 30s and 40s, with RACIST songs? What golden age of music are you saying was better?

• > Inferring people are meant to adulterate the way they express themselves in Art to brainwash children into being law abiding citizensFascist

• with great power comes great responsibility (spider man quote ha ha =) katy perry has a big influence on the younger girls and some of the older ones too and should realize it even if it is "not her job to be a role model" so I don't like her very much. I like taylor swift and rosie huntington whitely they are true role models imo.

• Don't be an idiot.It's not Katy Perry's job to set a good example.It's not Miley Cyrus's job to set a good example.It's not Eminem's job to set a good example.It's not Marilyn Manson's job to set a good example.It's not Lady GaGa's job to set a good example.Etc, etc, etc.These people are entertainers, not mommy and daddy. They write and sing about what they want and they have every right to do so. If kids are adopting unsavory ideals it's because their parents didn't teach them right, not because of media influence. Kids/teens don't model their lives after music, they gravitate toward music that they feel represents their lives.

• I like this answer by anon

• I too like this answer by anon

• yeah and that elvis presley is the devil.kids just like rebellious stuff and having fun. it's human nature. I say let them have their fun before they have to be boring for the rest of their life. yeah, sometimes they end up doing some stupid stuff, but that's just human nature.that's just my opinion.