Do you think a lack of sex can lead to mental health problems?

Do you think a lack of sex can lead to mental health problems? Are you convinced by studies which show people in better health after they've had sex? Do YOU feel better after good sex? How?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Yes, and I'm speaking from experience. I'm 24 and I've never had sex. I've been struggling with mental illness for years. I'm not saying that lack of sex is the sole cause, there's many other reasons also, but I feel that it is a significant contributor to the problem.

As wrong as it sounds, the (physical and emotional) affection of a woman would be a major boost to my confidence. I know you're not supposed to let your sense of self worth rely on validation from other people but I can't help but disappointed about it. Ironically, mental illness makes getting a girl much less likely.

It really bugs me that I'm so far behind everybody else but I'm not giving up. I'm getting help now. In about a month I turn 25 and I know it's going to be hard on me but I hope to get back on track and lose my virginity before I'm 26.

• No problem. This is only my opinion, by the way. I'm not a doctor. I can't back it up.

• Thanks for your inputs, appreciated!

What Girls Said 5

• "Work is health," a popular saying that one should add: Sex Too! Sex practice is so pleasurable can be very good for your health, it is true that also has its risks, so it is important to adopt safer sexual practices.

Main benefits, sex helps you stay fit and helps maintain a healthy heart, and that while no substitute for a workout, with a half hour of sex can burn 85 calories or more. Also, by having sex your body like you're actively doing an aerobic exercise, like walking, running or skating and therefore increases the circulation of blood and oxygen circulating through your body. It also makes the lungs to oxygenate, lower your blood pressure and improve your posture.

Also, when you have an orgasm, releasing large amounts of a hormone called oxytocin, Which has several effects on the body, reduces stress and makes you feel energized (a), helps you sleep and rest better, and together with another hormone called endorphinMakes the feeling of pain is better, especially headaches, arthritis, and those caused by the symptoms of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS).

In women, also may help regulate the menstrual cycle and help control urine, by causing the muscles of the pelvis to remain toned. While in the case of men, sex can reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer.

As if all this were not enough, sex improves the body's defenses. In this regard, some research shows that having sex two or three times a week increases the antibodies. Apparently, our body develops by way of prevention, since during sex is an important exchange of bacteria.

Source:

Stherbb.com/men-health/improves-erection-and-penis-size.htm

• Very well reasoned answer. Thanks!

• No. There are lots of people who are not having sex and they're doing great

• The question is: would people with mental health problems do better if they had access to some stress-relieving good sex?

• I would say yes! but it depends on the person's libido as well. Its a biological need, think like you are seriously hungry, will you be able to concentrate on any work ?

• I've seen mental illness, and there seems to be some parallel with a starved sex life. Though probably it's not scientifically validated, and everyone not getting sex will not obvious fall mentally ill!@

• Not mental health, unless you already have crazy tendencies :P I mean, sex can make you happy (endorphins, yay), but a mentally healthy person typically isn't going to develop major depressive disorder if they don't have sex.

I've read a lot about sex improving *physical* health, but I don't think that necessarily means that lack of sex causes problems. I tend to feel physically better when I'm sexually active, but I don't feel like crap when I'm not.

• Check what they believed in another era -- female "hysteria" and the vibrator! link

• No.

I don't masturbate or have sex and I'm not mentally ill. -__- What a stupid assumption. Sex can make you happier but just because you're not having it doesn't mean you're a depressed freak who belongs in the loony bin.

• Please check this link link

• I don't understand how alternative medicine is just now recognizing the effects of dopamine in the brain? You're not making any sense.

• This is what alternative medicine is acknowledging today. When will allopathy come around to what seems commonsensical?

• Show Older

What Guys Said 4

• I agree with sa230e about how lack of sexual contact can lead to mental illnesses.

After all, we have sex hormones, and we are biologically programmed to have sex. Anything that goes against our nature can cause mental problems. That being said, not wanting to have sex at all throughout one's life (a.k.a. "asexuality") can be considered a mental disease by itself.

• Proven to have negative affects on anyone with hormones.

• Not really, I don't think about sex 24/7 or have sex 16 / 5 days out of the week either. I mean endorphins your body release after sex or masturbation can cheer you up or put you in a better mood but it doesn't lead to mental health problems. If someone think they were terrible at it and lead into depression or other form of symptoms ? its plausible, Though I meditate a lot to keep my calm nature intact from other stress, so I don't need sex to calm me down every time something bad happens in my life.

• NO , IT WONT BE LIKE THAT

• Why not? Any reason?