Is masturbating (or jerking off) bad or a sin?

I really like doing it, and it feels really good; and I have slot of sexual feelings and I gt real turned on. But is it wrong,..a sin, or any thing like that?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes it is a sin. Most people have done it, especially men, but it is not right. Like lying, most people lie sometimes, but it is still wrong.

Masturbation stimulates powerful feelings and really fuels a desire that generally only gets stronger when you feed it. The problem with stimulating that desire is that it really triggers the mind to think about and look for more which often leads to more sexual involvement with more serious ramifications--such as sexual contact with another person. For some, it can become an obsession, trying to scratch that itch or fill that need.

It is hard enough to keep your sexual urges in check when you try to avoid the things that are really sexually provocative. It is soooo much harder once you start stimulating them on purpose.

• Fun fact: there is no bible verse condemning masturbation, if you wanna believe that fairytale anyway, it does condemn lust tho along with other harmless activities....

• Wow, it's hard to believe we're in 2014 with such a comment. Sex is bad then? Hahaha...

• Yeah this is nonsense lol

What Guys Said 21

• Masturbating is 100% normal, nothing bad about it.

It indeed was a "sin" in the beginning of mankind because all sex really had to be "used" to replace the people dying at much higher rates than now. That explains the religious condemnation of masturbation.

with the actual overpopulation on earth, masturbation and birth control will earn you a place in paradise.

• No it is not wrong. It is so right, it should be taught in school. It has many health and emotional benefits.

• Yes, if you believe in a christian God, then it is a sin. Any act of sex for any other reason than pro-creation is a sin. Good thing I'm not religious. lol

• I hate how, because everything on earth has changes, believers in christianity think that God has changed too. The truth is, if there is a christian God, most of everyone on earth is going to burn for one reason or another. God doesn't have to bend or change, he is...well...God

• Some religions seem to think so but they have a really hard time producing any material to back up this claim (one of the few references they have, Onan, was a male and it is likely that he was practicing coitus interuptus rather than masturbating). The point of the religious prohibition is to make you feel guilty about something should be doing anyway. This guilt makes you give money and service to the people who told you it was wrong in the first place. Quite a money making idea if you ask me.

• Masturbation has been seen as a sin (though the only part in the bible even close to this is about a male 'spilling his seed').

Masturbation has also been at one stage or another:

Sin

Illegal

Mental Health issue

Considered a reason to have circumcisions

Considered a reason to eat Corn Flakes (google Kellogs and masturbation).

---

These days we're pretty much over all that. Even most non denominational Christians are ok with it. It's has a number of health benefits, virtually no downside, and is socially more or less acceptable. (To the point where it's often talked about by close friends without embarrassment.)

PS. In the interests of being honest, I'm an atheist.

More from Guys
16

What Girls Said 9

• The OT may have some things in there talking about sexual purity, but a member (he's a doctor at my parents' church) came in when I was in junior high and said that it is a natural event that helps release steam, and it's wiser that going out and having sex. Now, the tricky thing is, dreaming of a person while masturbating is technically sinful, and I don't know about you, but it's hard to have "alone time" without thinking of someone else. So, do what feels right for you. I don't think a perfect answer will ever be decided for this, but if it comes down between masturbating or having sex with other people, I'd stick with the safer bet.

• No, its human.

• Not wrong at all. Natural and expected

• Yeah it's a sin.

but if you're not religious then who cares?

• Who cares?
    Jk. I'm atheist... but I guess you're not. Well in most monotheistic religions, it is a sin.

More from Girls
4