Girl, why are you so self-conscious about your bodies?

I'm growing frustrated with girls that don't like their bodies half as much as I do. It's a total sex buzz kill when a girl doesn't want you to see her completely naked.

Girls, if you're with a guy then there are many good reasons he's with you. Why would you make it a point to highlight your faults and shortcomings?

I'm going to scream the next time a perfectly attractive girl tells me she's fat.

Arrrrgh!

Girls, why do you do this to yourselves?

Most Helpful Girl

• Put yourself in a woman's shoes for a day. You wake up, watch tv, read a magazine, go to a store. What do you see? What's plastered all over ads? Girls that haven't had a meal in weeks. Normal girls, at least most of us, can't be that thin and it causes our self-esteem issues. Now, continue on. You see a girl at school, and you think she's pretty. She gets all the boys to talk to her. And you automatically compare yourself. Women compete more with women than men ever will with other men.

We, as women, go through our lives competing based on how we look, how we dress, how we do our hair. First impressions last a lifetime, and as a female, it has to be perfect or you're automatically written off. We have so much pressure placed on us, from children on up, about how we look that it stays with us.

So next time you wonder why we're insecure, think about what might have been said to that girl, who she might see everyday, what she hears guys talk about. Because a girl who's been trying to live up to the hype is usually insecure and can't help it.

• Wow... I never realized how bad it was for girls... I've thought about it and stuff, but coming from a girl it really opens my eyes...

****hugs for everyone**** :)

GAG Video of the Day

Would you date someone younger/older/married?

What Girls Said 36

• Haha. Your question made me laugh :) but I, for one, appreciate that there are people like you around who are able to see the true beauties that female bodies are.

Hate to say it, but a lot of people (guys and girls) I've met in my days aren't as generous as you are with compliments. As a girl, I've heard so many ideals for beauty that it's really difficult to recognize whether I'm close to any of them. I know that I often highlighted my shortcomings because I figured if I were the one who mentioned it, it would be more confortable for other people (so they didn't have to dance around the elephant in the room). But all that was done under the assumption that people thought of me in the certain way that I did. Now, I recognize that they don't... And I'm not as quick to underestimate my impression on others.

I think all people (guys and girls) go through the stage of learning to accept and like who they are. Before reaching this stage, though, it's rocky, bitchy, and a hell of a pain for the people who are around them. It's eventual, though. Besides, beauty isn't as much in other people's minds as it is in our own. Once we no longer compare ourselves with others, we'll be able to nurture us for the beauties that we are, inside and out.

• because of models in the media, looking at magazines, subconsciously comparing ourselves, trying to make our man happy etc etc

• Girls just want reassurance sometimes. I feel fat when I am feeling down about myself in general. If I change something else about myself that is bothering me, then I don't seem fat anymore, instantly.

• well girls do this to their selfs because media is telling them how they are sopposed to look and what they think guys want so they don't think they look good enough for a guy. that's the way I use to think but I stoped because I was just hurting my self and was never feeling good about my self but I changed that fast. when I'm wearing something I point out the good things that I like and I complament my self and I don't care what any one else thinks or says, I notice that if I like the way my hair looks like I will love the way I look no matter what gos on. I stoped caring about other people specially right now that I'm in high school because I know the way people are and I like it when people complament me when I'm at school that always makes my day. so guys don't be afraid to complament a girl it will put a smile on their face and won't think bad or think that they are not pretty or nice looking for a guy

• I'm going to speak for myself, because I don't know about other girls. Hollywood, although it shouldn't, has an affect on how I see myself. I am no Paris Hilton, nor will I ever be as thin as her. Magazines are covered with thin girls who look like they haven't had a bite to eat ever. Okay, so these things may be airbrushed and whatever, but I'm still being exposed to it. I end up believing that those skinny size zeros is what I am supposed to look like. If I want the perfect body, I have to look like them. It is unhealthy, but that's how it is. I would cover up because I feel like these things are disgusting, and I wouldn't want the guy to see them. I think that a lot of girls feel like they have to impress guys with their bodies, so if they are not perfect then ... what is the guy going to do? Since society cares a lot about appearance these days, it makes it hard to feel comfortable with a body that isn't like the ones we see on television or in magazines everyday.

More from Girls
31

What Guys Said 7

• I totally agree with you, my girlfriend is 5' 3" and 93lbs. And says she is fat sometimes. I absolutely hate it. She is beautiful but doesn't believe me when I say she is. I'm glad you asked this, ide like to know too.

• 93 lbs? jeez... is that normal for that height?

• No, its really tiny. That's why I get so mad at her when she says she is fat. She's a f***ing toothpick, I try to get her to eat but she dosnt. I told her I'm not going to let her lose any more weight.

• Keep it up,it can get scary if she keeps going like that.

• Hey bro. I think girls just don't understand us. We want to watch a game, drink a beer, and see something naked. It's like math. If 1+1=2, then guy plus girl means he wants to see her naked.

• I know there are girls like that and I can understand why to some point,but I do have something to say,

I kept telling my ex in the past that she is wonderful,sexy,good looking,cute,etc and she kept thinking things that were,so not true about her.

It took a while,but finally she ended up truly loving her self.Ladys,just try and love ur self.

Peace!

• The media I think it is. girls think they have to be stick thin to look good and attractive...not true

• Have you seen all the girls on tv and at hooters there all with size C cups skinny bodies and lots of make up ''the ideal girl'' so most of them think its the only way boys'll pay attention to them

More from Guys
2