Guys, is it normal to wake up horny?

my boyfriend called me this morning at 8 while I was at school before class. he has work at 930 but he woke up and he was horny! he said he woke up with morning wood. we have a great sex life. but he says this has happened randomly to him since he was a kid. is it common for guys to be like this some mornings? why does it happen?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• There are actually a number of reasons why this is perfectly normal. As mrs-troy-dash pointed out below, men are their most viril in the morning, resulting from a combination of being rested and the rush of testosterone that comes with it.

Also, morning horniness is a bit of a backward reaction of the body tricking itself. One of the most common reasons that men achieve erections at night while they're asleep is because their bladder is full. As a mechanism against involuntary bladder release, the body activates the sexual system. Because the sexual and urinary systems can't operate simultaneously (ask a guy how hard it is to take a whiz immediately after sex, even with a full bladder) this stops the body from wetting itself.

However, even though the initial erection was most likely not caused by sexual arousal, once the erection occurs, the brain starts thinking in sexual mode. This creates a cycle of more sexual thoughts, which bolster the erection. Eventually the erection leads to horniness (which is odd, since it's normally the other way around!)

• Thanks for the compliment. My answer would have been better phrased if I hadn't used the word "cyckle" in it. Doh.

Also I have to amend it to say that the sexual and urinary systems can't work simultaneously *except* when consciously altered. (Guys you know what I mean by that: the awkward angles you have to stand at when trying to pee with a boner. Hilarious and annoying all at the same time.)

• Good answer and well phrased. You said it just like my husband explained it, especially the last paragraph. You explained it just like my husband described it to me

What Guys Said 7

• 100% normal: a wake-up boner ("morning wood"-I didn't know that one:), it's good*) happens nearly every day to most healthy boys and men.

Why?

In the morning, the body is fit, has had his sleep, lots of toxins were eliminated and last but not least important: the bladder is full, which is a mechanical cause for the erection .And a man who has an erection thinks about using it.

*I am not a native English speaker

• yea all the time

i wake up with that every morning

• When the sun comes up so does lumber.

• Morning glory is totally, totally normal.

• Yeah, I used to find it weird that I got a woody every day during math class, well guess what my first class was, rofl.

well yes its very common for guys to get "morning wood" Its due to the body making more semen and sperm over the night and the body has to release some of the extra. Thus causing guys to have the urge to have sex or masturbate.

• yeah, it's normal.

• Happens to me quite often. This is especially the case if sleeping in either silk boxers, windpants, or just flannel pajamas. It feels weird to roll over on it in the middle of the night. Erections and subsequent arousal can come from contact with the clothing.

What Girls Said 5

• It's totally normal. My boyfriend is almost always hard when we wake up.

• haha my ex preferred sex in the morning so I guess it is

• my ex used to do the same exact thing. I would be sitting in my 8 am class and be getting texts from him about how horny he was and how he wanted me and stuff. so yeah I think it is rather common.

• Completely normal. Even I get it, I suppose its all those hours of no action sleeping that kicks it off!

• its very normal because men's sex drives are at their highest in the morning...its all about their testosterone levels being at their highest...