Do you choose your sexuality, or do you choose to act upon it?

Here is a hot-button question. I had a debate with a friend. The debate is about sexuality and choice. I must confess, I believe there are not any right or wrong answers. I only ask to gain a perspective. be that as it may, here is the debate:

My friend's position: Sexuality is not a matter of choice, nor is it something that can be openly controlled and manipulated by the person in question. Nevertheless, it is something that is defined as the person develops to maturity and is acted upon. Long has this been controlled and curtailed by the religious community by their strict moral codes and values that they enforce upon society. If it were not for that, it quite possibly could be more widely accepted that people are diverse, even in their sexual orientation.

My Position: It is not provable whether or not it is a predetermined orientation of the person's sexuality. However, it is something that could be developed over time due to experiences. In my eyes, all children are a blank slate, only to be written upon based upon their experiences. Therefore Homosexuality can potentially be learned due to experiences throughout life. However, it can not be accurately proven or otherwise. Likewise, you can probe a baby's brain with an MRI and conclude the child's sexuality at adulthood. However, aside form religious points of view, there were all sorts of societies that did not approve of homosexual activities. More or less, they had to choose to live the truth or live a lie. In the past, there were plenty of people (to include even J. Edgar Hoover) that publicly lived a life that was considered socially acceptable opposed to living as they see fit.

Those were conclusions to the debate. The debate started when something I said was misinterpreted. It came off as me saying that I believe that it is a choice. Conversely, I say that it is a lifestyle that is chosen to be acted upon. I have nothing against homosexuality other than I am heterosexual. However, I just wan to see the varying opinions of this subject.

Do you believe sexuality is a matter of choice, or do you believe that it is a predetermined point in a person's life?

Please give details!

Most Helpful Guy

• it's neither something you choose or

something predetermined

I believe ones upbringing

has to do with the outcome..

..parents/friends and other people

you meet throughout your childhood

• Report

I would have to agree. However, the underlying question is this: Do think that acting upon one's sexuality is a choice, provided the societal views of it? I mean, that problem is not as evident as it were 10 or 20 years ago. There is a lot of liberty associated with being open about it. However, given the situation as it were, do you believe that people can choose to act upon their sexuality, or choose to not, and resort to self denial for the sake of a societal viewpoint?

• Report

Good answer! I hope that others would give me answers as detailed. I can appreciate your point of view!

• Report

if people can come up with

an interesting questions such as yours

then I'll do my best to satisfy their

thirst for answers.. ^-^