• Ask
  • myTake

Why do young women choose to pose nude for Playboy?

I find Playboy highly offensive because it objectifies women. I don't understand why some women choose to pose for the magazine.Why do some women do this?

I am going to say this in an update and then I am not going to look at this question again. So if you choose to respond just know that your response is falling on deaf ears. Why are you guys so admittedly defending pornography?
(this is a rhetorical question)? Would you want your daughter to be in pornography? Whether some women want to admit it or not pornography affects women. All women. Look around you. When you go to a club do the girls there often look like porn stars?
Fake breast, nails, hair, large amounts of make up, provocative clothing. Who do you think they are modeling themselves after? Who do you think they are trying to emulate? They emulate porn stars.
All women want attention but porn stars are teaching us that you can get attention easier with you looks then your brain. As pornography creeps into main stream culture, as it has been for several years now, who do you think it will affect the most?
Young girls are very impressionable. I have seen a large portion of my generation fall prey to this. Girls have already started to admire women like Jenna Jameson and Pamela Anderson instead of great women like Harper Lee and Susan B Anthony.
If women continue to emulate porn stars, and this trend continues through younger generations, do you think women will ever be considered equal to men? No.
Men also growing up in this generation will think of women more as objects of their sexual gratification then their equals. This is my concern.
This was the reason I asked this question, to try to understand the opposite side of the argument. Despite all of us not sharing the same opinion I thank you for your answers. "A woman reading Playboy feels a little like a Jew reading a Nazi manual." - GS
“There can be no equality in porn, no female equivalent, no turning of the tables in the name of bawdy fun. Pornography, like rape, is a male invention, designed to dehumanize women… Pornography is the undiluted essence of anti-female propaganda.” -SB
“And that’s all I have to say about that” – Forrest Gump

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Money... exposure... fame... confidence boost... checking account... mortgage... I like your views... no doubt. I do think it's degrading, but when you mess with a Billion dollar industry that's actually supported by your Government, there's nothing you can do. That's it.

What Guys Said 20

• So the volunteer home pornographers on XTube and YouPorn have set out to dehumanize women? And the female producers (of which there are many)? And the gays? And the dykes? And the femdoms? And the trannies? You're going to have to explain to me how all that works, because I'm not yet convinced.I'm aware of the anti-pornography arguments--lots of us have done Women's Studies reading--but you should be bright enough to see that the argument you assert is biased enough, has a big enough axe to grind, that it's willing to narrow and distort what pornography is in order to prove its point.I'm reminded what we used to call "the agency problem" when I was in school; namely, if objectification is part of a woman's sexual makeup, is she entitled to it as an independent human being, in full ownership of her desire, or must she be divorced from her desire "for her own good"? (Try your answer on an experienced female submissive before getting back to me.)P.S.: By the way, are you unaware of the arguments for pornography as the literature of marginalized sexualities, or have you chosen to skip the point? Either way, it's at least worth mention.

• Spare me the youporn and xtube arguments, that's volunteered by both couples or without consent from a previous girlfriend/boyfriend. You know this well. Anyhow, your getting far too into this. Her point is merely that porn is still degrading to women as it's ever been. The argument is still relevant no matter how nimble someone's logic is. So why are women producers, why do we have femdom's or trannies? Or gay porn? Because the capitalist society demands it, and currency is king.

• Show Older
    • I was Poli Sci; Women's/Cultural Studies was my brush with the humanities, a break from regression analysis.

• Apparently woman who just like to have sex on camera, they don't count.

• Some women enjoy objectification. In addition to a positive, validation of their attraction to males, it's a prize in a competition. Playboy doesn't just give away those spreads--girls fight for them.There's also the financial perks: in addition to the direct compensation by Playboy, it's a prestigious resume line if the adult industry is your trade.

• Playboy doesn't like it when centerfolds go into porn, and most don't. But you're right, a few have.

• Show Older
    • Haha, I'm an internet porn pervert? and what exactly are you? Don't blow smoke up my ass.

• You're a pervert, I'm a pervert, we're all perverts. Recall that for a very long time--most of the pre-Google internet era--the most visited and most profitable sites were porn sites. Interporn still thrives, though profit margins are under pressure from filesharers and the volunteer home pornographers in XTube, YouPorn and the like.

• They choose to do it for assorted reasons. Among them is they get paid to do it, and some of them enjoy the attention. I'm sure there are more reasons.If you find playboy offensive, you should not buy the magazine. I don't buy it either. There are also a number of magazines that objectify men, I don't buy any of those either, but I do not care if they want to objectify someone. That is between the magazine and the models they hire. Certainly none of my business.

• Pray tell what magazines objectify men?

• Show Older
    • Dave, feminists feel they have the right to tell other women what to do. It's really very ironic, when you consider their platitudes aboput male oppression, and you realize they are trying to make other women do as they say.

• Smith, Ya I know that. I was really disappointed. It would have been quite interesting to hear from her why her opinion counts more than anyone else's. Why freedom of speech only applies too her, etc. They always run and hide when you pin them down with facts and logic. For some reason they seem to think emotional outbursts should carry equal weight in a debate.

• cause they get money and girls like money and guys like girls.are you really this stupid?

• Money... It's their choice as it is their body... Not yours.

• Hey women wanted equal rights and they got them! It's freedom of expression under the first amendment. Also since women are supposed to be "strong and independent" now they have to make their own money and this is how some women choose to do that. If you don't like it than we could take away women's rights and then it would probably go back to the old days when women had to listen to their fathers until they were married and then they had to listen to their husbands...I bet neither would allow you to do playboy.

• Well put

• There is nothing equal about women using their naked bodies to fleece men of as much money as they can get. It is a sad state of affairs that hurts all involed for the most part. For you to say it is either stripping or listening to their husbands as their only choices shows your age and lack of caring/knowledge about the affects pron has on our culture and that we could as a culture create way more choices for women to have opportunities.

• Lol you're kidding right?

• Okay, your making updates so it means your still reading - about 2/mo ago but here's a decent response.Females (generalization) turn males down a lot, after they, like tradition states, ask her out. He confidence, (if he had any at that time) just dropped on a massive scale. Looking at porn (playboy isn't even close - something disgust me, that's why I don't use/need it) helps to restore that confidence to the man, not to mention, he has to masturbate to keep his body healthy and the sperm 'fresh'. Also, don't tell me you don't like getting looked at. It's no different from a picture to the real thing. Girls, females, are wild when they are young, so are guys. Moreover, men aren't as self-countious as females, we don't care that we are getting old and going to die looking ugly, that's life, it happens. Females will always pose nude, it's been that way since BC times by the paintings on ancient walls. If females wanted people to stop looking, they would have put a stop to porn, but, it's still around isn't it?

• Girls are actually a lot nicer to look at naked,plus if you got it why not,she is always posting pic's of her body allover the net,makes me kind of happy,mmm,well horny,no matter anyhooow life is short and then your dead

• has to be money

• No matter what anyone says. It is WRONG, morally, ethically, and it does have a NEGATIVE impact on our society as a whole. Have you seen the after effects of men watching p*rnography daily? Or the fact that YOUNGER and YOUNGER girls as little as grade school are becoming sexualized because these things are ALL around us, out in the open.Anyone who thinks otherwise obviously isn't using their logic. Yes, the main issue is with the people running the industry, but REMEMBER it runs on supply and demand. It's the PEOPLE who are the real problem, because they want it, regardless of it's negative effects, and the women and even men who are willing to be involved.

• Funny you brought up that question. I've had that discussion with guys and women in the past. There are guys (including myself) that think going to a strip club is degrading to the "men" who go. Although, it doesn't stop us from going its still degrading to us in the sense that we pay money to see a woman nude that we know we have no chance of dating or having a relationship with. The girl makes money from either posing nude in Playboy or getting tips at a club for posing nude. We (the guys) are the ones who end up paying for that privilege.

• Very good point! I hadn't thought of it that way before!

• I dated a woman this summer who I met at a month long Yoga teacher training. I later found out she was a dancer/stripper. They study and use psychology to fleece men from as much money as they can get with their twisted sexual energies. She as much said things like this to me in times of anger. Once when we had an argument said she would go back to dance and do it just to hurt me. This was/is sick. I pity her and our culture for this happening. It is for the most part not good for any of us...

• It doesn't objectify them if they like doing it. If they like it, then there's no disrespect.Women that pose nude get paid big money. This can go towards a college fund, and you don't really have to do anything but post naked in front of a camera... How hard is that?! Easiest job in the world!Women like to feel beautiful. If such a big porn company as Playboy picks me to pose nude they must think I'm attractive!Some like the thrill of showing their bodies to people they have never met before. And some just like to pose, and don't have a problem with their bodies. They enjoy what they're doing, and enjoy being naked. They have no problem with their bodies, so why not show the rest of the world?I have a problem with them calling Heff their boy friend when there's like 5 of them. And it's not love it's money. He's rich, and old. He can get them anything they want, and all they have to do is kiss him. Why are men so foolish when it comes to attractive women?!If anything I'd call them whores for saying they're all his girl friend. I'm surprised there hasn't been a cat fight or two.

• Cause they want to get some from good 'ol hugh.

• Let us not forget, not everyone in the world has all the advantages we do. I hated prostitutes until I read Dostovesky's "Crime and Punishment". The people who we really should be hating are pimps, clients, and whatever men who run porn industries are called. The women themselves may have as much self respect as you do. Nethertheless they might have a family back home to feed, so lets give them some pity.

• Crime and Punishment takes place in 19th century Russia, not in 21st century United States. The character in the book that you are referring to is dirt poor and has no hope or opportunity. In the modern United States everyone has the opportunity to better themselves. If you work hard enough in school you can get a scholarship, if you work hard a enough you can get a loan and start your own business. The difference is we have opportunity and we don't HAVE to sell ourselves to survive.

• A man dating a feminist is like a black man living with a plantation owner in 1850. Gloria Steinem is the closest thing feminism has to a Nazi. She's *knowingly and repeatedly* distorted or depressed data and misrepresented studies that disagree with her ideology. Read Warren Farrell's "Women Can't Hear What Men Don't Say" for more info.

• And what if the man in question is feminist, dating a feminist? o_o your brain can't go further than this?

• Are you a "gender studies" major?

• Objectification is hot.

• God, your silhouette is HOT! Nice white areas.

• i take offense to that statement. the one about the jew reading a nazi manual. I'm a jew myself and I would NEVER read a nazi manual. I'm also a guy, and I love women, especially naked women, but at least playboy is done tastefully, you ever seen the fresh prince of bel air episode where hillary is asked to pose, she does it and phil is at first very denying of it but..the pictures came back and they were good. while great women like susan b anthony will long live on, I don't think many women want to be like them anymore. in face, I think those women back then were more objectified than todays woman because they had no rights whatsoever, todays woman has the right to chose what she wants to do, thanks to the womans rights activist movement of the 70's. women of today chose to pose for such magazine because, they like to feel good in that sort of attention, its not like theyre going off and f***ing every guy they see just cause theyre doing it. plus, it makes good money, evey magazine sold, they make a little more. they know guys want to see it and they know it sells, so why wouldn't you?i can't say you're wrong or right to feel the way you do, but..please don't make us seem like bad people because we like it, that's called antagonizing, try looking at it from both sides, then come back to me and tell me if you still hate it

• Because not everybody buys into this feminist notion of "objectifying women".if a girl wants to get naked and have guys look at her for money, not everyone believes that this contributes to any social inequality.

• Men don't get paid to have women look at them naked. Don't you think that is social equality? How does playboy NOT objectify women. A girl who poses for Playboy is a picture on a page. A pair of boobs to jack off to. Not a person. How is that not objectification?

• This is neither here not there, but just FYI, nobody masturbates to playboy anymore. This is the age of the net. Playboy is just for looking at and reading.Anyhow, if to objectify is to make someone into an object, then no, I don't think it does. These girls talk about there lives, and tell us something about themselves, and they even have phone times where you can chat with them. They have fan clubs and facebook pages. It's all kind of phony, like any relation a fan has with a celebrity; but

• ...but it isn't a relationship with an object. I might know that miss november is working through med school, likes cats, and has 3 sisters. She doesn't really know me, of course, but like any celebrity/fan relationship, I know a lot about her. I would not know such things about an object

What Girls Said 20

• MONEY and MORE MONEY oh yea the PUBLICITY which leads to more MONEY

• Money talks. lol +1

• I honestly would rather work for some fast food restaurant rather than to do something like that.likePride is something you can't buy with money, no matter how much money you get for doing things like that, you can never take that moment back and it's sickening when you see immigrants come over and some are taken advantaged of by criminals to be forced into prostitution and such.Why do some women go into porn?possibly because they really really need money or lack any other skills.But if I ever was in a position to really really need money, I like I said, I would rather do the sh*ttiest job with lowest pay than to trade my pride for something like that.

• Totally agree! I mean I work at Wendy's and I absolutely hate it and I get paid minimum wage but I'd rather do that than do something that degrades myself such as strip or pose in porn. And, as long as my parents don't find out cause I'm still living with them and they're very conservative, I can easily do that since I'm old enough and, not to brag or anything, but I've got a great body and get told a lot that I'm pretty or cute. But I'd rather display myself decently covered up.

• Thanks. I'm glad you have similar views, it's just how I am. I like to be real about how I feel

• low morals/ low money/attention

• "A woman reading Playboy feels a little like a Jew reading a Nazi manual." O_o I happen to like porn quite a bit. It doesn't effect my view on fellow women or myself, nor my boyfriend's views. Why would girls do it? They need the money, it makes them feel attractive, etc. You'd have to ask a porn star that. I personally don't want to be a porn star, but I don't lack respect for people who do/are porn stars. Why should I?

• They do it because they like it, because they want to be famous or well known. the money is great. and it;s no chip off my shoulder sitting on a couch naked or some place else. I get paid a lot of money to let people take picsof me. la di f***in da.

• For fun. Women like the thought of having millions of guy looking at them. Some women feel that their body is nothing to be shamed of. I think there is nothing wrong with playboy becasue all the girl know what they are doing and it is not degrading to women if it is only showing the body of a women. It would be degrading if the women was forced or being picked on or made fun of.

• retarded question you should ask yourself why you don't do it, you'll have the answer then

• i don't see anything wrong with it. if you've got it, flaunt it.

• well to say it from my point of view. I do watch some porn, although I'm not always happy about it when my boyfriend does. when he wants to buy a magazine or some stupid movie it kinda annoys me but that's completely different from playboy. Playboy is NOT porn. guys may use it that way but that's not the whole thing behind playboy. they use (always gorgeous) woman to pose, yes naked but its not a raunchy naked its a classy naked. they aren't fingering themselves or licking p**** or sucking on some guys dick. or anything like that. they are just there posing. you should read up on it more.

• $$$$ and to make it in Hollywood, modeling, or into the mansion probably. It can also be art!

• You have far too many updates to take this question post seriously anymore. You've asked over 10 questions so far.In general though I would highly recommend a lot more education for you on the subject of sex, sexuality, porn, feminism, pro-women sexuality and women-friendly porn. The modern porn industry is not what you think it is. There are a ton of notable and highly educated teachers, doctors and other feminists (or pro-women advocates depending on what term you prefer) that not only approve of porn but also make it and star in it.

• Thank you.. third-wave feminism and the movement for sex-worker's rights.

• because some girls never had love and are searching for that love they strive for. they need attention.i know what you mean, its so terrible and you are not respecting yourself being nude

• ye its horrible, spesh when you hang about with guys a lot (look at her boobs etc.).well they look fake to me. I think girls mainly do it not for money but to show off their bodies?and porn is everywhere, I read music mags and stuff it advertised at the back...do the not think that girls might read it,god.

• Honestly,i would do sum stuff like datI like da attentionn you get paidur not havin sex although you may b promoting it

• Hugh Hefner created an empire,he knows what he's doing.Those women are strong and independent and choosing to pose because they want to.They want money,they want fame,they are given the option they are taking up the option

• Big money lol. Also, because they enjoy it. Some girls actually want to pose in that magazine and similar ones just like some girls want to grow up and be a singer etc. Like with porn-you get paid for doing something you enjoy lol. I don't have a problem with playboy magazine or the models that are in it-it's their life.

• Porn stars don't have sex on camera because they are "in the mood" or because they enjoy it. They have sex when they are told and how they are told to do it, all for money. They fake lust to make money.

• Show Older
    • Not bullsh*t. It brings all women down. They perpetrate the idea that women are objects and that sex can be bought and sold. That effects all women.

• Nope it doesn't effect me. It brings down women like you-who let it bring you down. Sex is bought and sold-that's a fact of life-always will be. Some guys will see women as sex objects whilst others won't. And I doubt that'd change if magazines like playboy stop being made.

• Some women place high value in men thinking they are attractive. It gives them validation that they are sexy, and that men get hot looking at their picture--it's flattering. Plus there are financial rewards, a degree of fame (some people seem willing to do almost anything for money and fame). Yeah, it is objectifying, and degrading in my opinion, but some people don't have a problem with that. They are perfectly fine if people just look at them as a nice piece of a55, as if that were the personal quality they were most proud of.

• I wasn't trying to justify porn as I think it is disgusting and degrading to the women in it, the men who look at it, and the women in their lives. I was just trying to explain why I think some women would want to pose for Playboy.

• Why not profit from the stupidity of men?

• Lol nice

• This person clearly knows how to get ahead in this world

• Because they are Female Chauvinist Pigs.

• I honestly believe it's their business. I don't feel offended by playboy at all. The girls enjoy the attention and money they get, while the boys get what they pay for (the pictures, etc)I can see how it objectifies women, but at the end of the day- women are sexual creatures/ nice to look at. I don't think that if playboy went away that men would suddenly stop thinking of women in a purely sexual way.