Why do young women choose to pose nude for Playboy?

I find Playboy highly offensive because it objectifies women. I don't understand why some women choose to pose for the magazine.

Why do some women do this?

I am going to say this in an update and then I am not going to look at this question again. So if you choose to respond just know that your response is falling on deaf ears. Why are you guys so admittedly defending pornography?
(this is a rhetorical question)? Would you want your daughter to be in pornography? Whether some women want to admit it or not pornography affects women. All women. Look around you. When you go to a club do the girls there often look like porn stars?
Fake breast, nails, hair, large amounts of make up, provocative clothing. Who do you think they are modeling themselves after? Who do you think they are trying to emulate? They emulate porn stars.
All women want attention but porn stars are teaching us that you can get attention easier with you looks then your brain. As pornography creeps into main stream culture, as it has been for several years now, who do you think it will affect the most?
Young girls are very impressionable. I have seen a large portion of my generation fall prey to this. Girls have already started to admire women like Jenna Jameson and Pamela Anderson instead of great women like Harper Lee and Susan B Anthony.
If women continue to emulate porn stars, and this trend continues through younger generations, do you think women will ever be considered equal to men? No.
Men also growing up in this generation will think of women more as objects of their sexual gratification then their equals. This is my concern.
This was the reason I asked this question, to try to understand the opposite side of the argument. Despite all of us not sharing the same opinion I thank you for your answers. "A woman reading Playboy feels a little like a Jew reading a Nazi manual." - GS
“There can be no equality in porn, no female equivalent, no turning of the tables in the name of bawdy fun. Pornography, like rape, is a male invention, designed to dehumanize women… Pornography is the undiluted essence of anti-female propaganda.” -SB
“And that’s all I have to say about that” – Forrest Gump

Most Helpful Guy

• Money... exposure... fame... confidence boost... checking account... mortgage...

I like your views... no doubt. I do think it's degrading, but when you mess with a Billion dollar industry that's actually supported by your Government, there's nothing you can do. That's it.

GAG Video of the Day

How To Become A Morning Person

What Guys Said 22

• So the volunteer home pornographers on XTube and YouPorn have set out to dehumanize women? And the female producers (of which there are many)? And the gays? And the dykes? And the femdoms? And the trannies? You're going to have to explain to me how all that works, because I'm not yet convinced.

I'm aware of the anti-pornography arguments--lots of us have done Women's Studies reading--but you should be bright enough to see that the argument you assert is biased enough, has a big enough axe to grind, that it's willing to narrow and distort what pornography is in order to prove its point.

I'm reminded what we used to call "the agency problem" when I was in school; namely, if objectification is part of a woman's sexual makeup, is she entitled to it as an independent human being, in full ownership of her desire, or must she be divorced from her desire "for her own good"? (Try your answer on an experienced female submissive before getting back to me.)

P.S.: By the way, are you unaware of the arguments for pornography as the literature of marginalized sexualities, or have you chosen to skip the point? Either way, it's at least worth mention.

• Spare me the youporn and xtube arguments, that's volunteered by both couples or without consent from a previous girlfriend/boyfriend. You know this well. Anyhow, your getting far too into this. Her point is merely that porn is still degrading to women as it's ever been. The argument is still relevant no matter how nimble someone's logic is. So why are women producers, why do we have femdom's or trannies? Or gay porn? Because the capitalist society demands it, and currency is king.

• I was Poli Sci; Women's/Cultural Studies was my brush with the humanities, a break from regression analysis.

• Apparently woman who just like to have sex on camera, they don't count.

• Some women enjoy objectification. In addition to a positive, validation of their attraction to males, it's a prize in a competition. Playboy doesn't just give away those spreads--girls fight for them.

There's also the financial perks: in addition to the direct compensation by Playboy, it's a prestigious resume line if the adult industry is your trade.

• Playboy doesn't like it when centerfolds go into porn, and most don't. But you're right, a few have.

• Haha, I'm an internet porn pervert? and what exactly are you? Don't blow smoke up my ass.

• You're a pervert, I'm a pervert, we're all perverts. Recall that for a very long time--most of the pre-Google internet era--the most visited and most profitable sites were porn sites. Interporn still thrives, though profit margins are under pressure from filesharers and the volunteer home pornographers in XTube, YouPorn and the like.

• It doesn't objectify them if they like doing it. If they like it, then there's no disrespect.

Women that pose nude get paid big money. This can go towards a college fund, and you don't really have to do anything but post naked in front of a camera... How hard is that?! Easiest job in the world!

Women like to feel beautiful. If such a big porn company as Playboy picks me to pose nude they must think I'm attractive!

Some like the thrill of showing their bodies to people they have never met before. And some just like to pose, and don't have a problem with their bodies. They enjoy what they're doing, and enjoy being naked. They have no problem with their bodies, so why not show the rest of the world?

I have a problem with them calling Heff their boy friend when there's like 5 of them. And it's not love it's money. He's rich, and old. He can get them anything they want, and all they have to do is kiss him. Why are men so foolish when it comes to attractive women?!

If anything I'd call them whores for saying they're all his girl friend. I'm surprised there hasn't been a cat fight or two.

• They choose to do it for assorted reasons. Among them is they get paid to do it, and some of them enjoy the attention. I'm sure there are more reasons.

If you find playboy offensive, you should not buy the magazine. I don't buy it either. There are also a number of magazines that objectify men, I don't buy any of those either, but I do not care if they want to objectify someone. That is between the magazine and the models they hire. Certainly none of my business.

• Pray tell what magazines objectify men?

• Dave, feminists feel they have the right to tell other women what to do. It's really very ironic, when you consider their platitudes aboput male oppression, and you realize they are trying to make other women do as they say.

• Smith, Ya I know that. I was really disappointed. It would have been quite interesting to hear from her why her opinion counts more than anyone else's. Why freedom of speech only applies too her, etc. They always run and hide when you pin them down with facts and logic. For some reason they seem to think emotional outbursts should carry equal weight in a debate.

• A man dating a feminist is like a black man living with a plantation owner in 1850.

Gloria Steinem is the closest thing feminism has to a Nazi. She's *knowingly and repeatedly* distorted or depressed data and misrepresented studies that disagree with her ideology. Read Warren Farrell's "Women Can't Hear What Men Don't Say" for more info.

• And what if the man in question is feminist, dating a feminist? o_o your brain can't go further than this?

More from Guys
17

What Girls Said 20

• MONEY and MORE MONEY oh yea the PUBLICITY which leads to more MONEY

• I honestly would rather work for some fast food restaurant rather than to do something like that.

like

Pride is something you can't buy with money, no matter how much money you get for doing things like that, you can never take that moment back and it's sickening when you see immigrants come over and some are taken advantaged of by criminals to be forced into prostitution and such.

Why do some women go into porn?

possibly because they really really need money or lack any other skills.

But if I ever was in a position to really really need money, I like I said, I would rather do the sh*ttiest job with lowest pay than to trade my pride for something like that.

• Totally agree!

I mean I work at Wendy's and I absolutely hate it and I get paid minimum wage but I'd rather do that than do something that degrades myself such as strip or pose in porn. And, as long as my parents don't find out cause I'm still living with them and they're very conservative, I can easily do that since I'm old enough and, not to brag or anything, but I've got a great body and get told a lot that I'm pretty or cute. But I'd rather display myself decently covered up.

• Thanks. I'm glad you have similar views, it's just how I am. I like to be real about how I feel

• "A woman reading Playboy feels a little like a Jew reading a Nazi manual." O_o I happen to like porn quite a bit. It doesn't effect my view on fellow women or myself, nor my boyfriend's views.

Why would girls do it? They need the money, it makes them feel attractive, etc. You'd have to ask a porn star that.

I personally don't want to be a porn star, but I don't lack respect for people who do/are porn stars. Why should I?

• You have far too many updates to take this question post seriously anymore. You've asked over 10 questions so far.

In general though I would highly recommend a lot more education for you on the subject of sex, sexuality, porn, feminism, pro-women sexuality and women-friendly porn. The modern porn industry is not what you think it is. There are a ton of notable and highly educated teachers, doctors and other feminists (or pro-women advocates depending on what term you prefer) that not only approve of porn but also make it and star in it.

• Thank you.. third-wave feminism and the movement for sex-worker's rights.

• For fun. Women like the thought of having millions of guy looking at them. Some women feel that their body is nothing to be shamed of. I think there is nothing wrong with playboy becasue all the girl know what they are doing and it is not degrading to women if it is only showing the body of a women. It would be degrading if the women was forced or being picked on or made fun of.

More from Girls
15