Why do some women do abortion so late?

I've always been on the fence about abortion. I've never really decided whether I'm for or against, but as in recently Texas was trying to make abortion after 20 weeks illegal. And it got me thinking, 20 weeks=4 months-ish, that's a long freakin time to wait to get it done? At that point, the baby can feel pain and what not. To me that does seem cruel. Why in god names would you wait that long? Why not get it done early before it can develop.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I live in Canada, where abortions after 20 weeks are legal (though not all doctors perform abortions after 20 weeks).While it's legal, only a very small percentage of abortions are performed after 20 weeks (less than 1%). 90% of abortions are performed before 13 weeks. The typical reasons why abortions are performed after 20 weeks are:1. Finding out that the fetus has a severe or fatal health problem.2. The mother's health or life is in danger.3. Extremely long wait times (i.e. the woman tried to get an abortion earlier, but wait times pushed it past 20 weeks). --- It should be noted that while abortions are legal, they are not very accessible in many places (for example, in 2008, there were only 67 abortion providers in Texas---92% of counties in Texas had NO abortion provider; and there are some states that have only one abortion provider in the entire state). 4. Not knowing or in denial about being pregnant (more often the case with young teenagers; also to note is that some women have intermittent bleeding during their pregnancy which can be mistaken for their period, or some women have irregular periods, so going months without one is common for them). From my understanding, the Texas bill did not make exceptions for fetal or maternal health problems. Further, the exceptions for rape and incest acted to punish rape victims, by only allowing abortion if they reported the assault to law enforcement (there are a number of reasons why a victim might not feel comfortable going to the police and they should not be punished for that). Also to note, the idea that fetuses can feel pain at 20 weeks is highly disputed by mainstream medical associations.

What Guys Said 2

• only an imbecile needs five months to decide whether to have an abortion

• Some women don't understand how developed the baby is at that point.Some women know but still don't consider it human.Some women just don't care if it is human or if it suffers.

• I assume the anonymous user talking about women being vessels was directed at me, but didn't want me to know who she is. The fact is even if a woman is raped she is still going to fit into one of the 3 examples I gave. I never said women should not have access to an abortion or that their lives are not important. She asked why women do it so late, so I told her.

What Girls Said 12

• Please watch. (& by the way, it's still a baby regardless of its stage of development) link

• ignorance.

• because they are dumb

• It must be that they had a hard time making the decision or they had complications.

• I didn't even know that was possible

• Some people don't know they're pregnant for a very long time. It's obviously a hard decision which would account for waiting so long. And there is actually very, very little evidence fetuses feel pain at 20 weeks. I believe 24 weeks is the shortest amount of gestation time a fetus needs to even have nerves that can reach the brain and give the sensation of pain. And I'm not sure how much abortion costs but some people can''t afford it for some time. Just some reasons people wait.

• becasue they were dumb enough to get pregnant and then dumb enough to not know a thing about pregnancy.

• Yeah and some people just think women are just vessels that carry babies and their lives are not important when they are pregnant because I guess your one of those people that think women only have abortion as a form of birth control . You do know people who get raped or have a miscarriage have abortions

• It's because you have to make an appointment to have it done that's why some people have to wait that long because there are others ahead of them . I don't agree with using abortion as birth control either . It should only be used in cases of rape or a miscarriage

• it's because you have to make an appointment at the clinic to have it done that's why some people have to wait long because there are others ahead of them

• You know what, thanks, you solidified my position, I'm against abortion pass 20 weeks(still with the exception of rape, though I still don't understand why the hell you would wait that long-though, I doubt victims wait that long, so this points moot). Kudos to you for making an on the fence to a decider.

• Show Older
  • the number of abortions performed each year is staggeringly high. it's a shame.

• well that's why they passed that law. Personally I am against abortion (for myself). But I understand women choosing to have one.

• They actually didn't pass that law and are going to try again on July 1st. As an fyi to those who are unaware.

• I agree with the 20 weeks part in the bill but what I do not agree with is that it would make to where there were only 5 clinics in the whole state allowed to do abortions and that would cause people to do forced miscarriages! That isn't good for anyone in the state.

• Because I live in Texas. And some of the bills they try to pass are jacked up.

• Haha why do you say that?

• There's always a secret agenda In Texas.

• Show Older
  • Yes I can see that. I am pro-choice, but that seems way too long to wait. I feel it should be done at least before the first trimester.