• Ask
  • myTake

How important is it to have things in common with someone you want to have a relationship with?

Like hobbies, interests, beliefs etc? Are having these things in common essential to getting into a relationship with someone? Or is it more based on... Show More

Most Helpful Opinion

• It's not important to me at all to have the same interest in common as long as are personalities match. My boyfriend and I have absolutely nothing in common, but we get along great. For example, I'm into animal rights and protection while he's into hunting :(

What Girls Said 3

• It's not so much specfic things that I love having in common with a guy, its more that our interests and "spirit" matches well (for lack of a better word). If we see the world in a similar way, I think it leads to more chemistry and compatibility moreso than if we like the same movies or music. It is nice to have some things we enjoy doing together, of course.

• I don't believe you need to have much in common with someone to have successful relationship. Sure sometimes its nice if you share the same hobbies , where you can do stuff together but having different interests from each other could also be a good thing, having something for yourself in a relationship , and learning off each other. I don't think its a defying factor of a relationship.

What Guys Said 2

• If your values are what you have in common, you can weather most other differences. It's great to enjoy some of the same things too, but it isn't necessary to have all interests and tastes in common. If you have common values and therefore respect each other's choices, you can each make your own dinners - spicy or bland. You can ski while your partner does crossword puzzles and no one will get mad because you have mutual respect, and you want your partner to enjoy life as much as you do. You don't have to spend every second together in order to have a loving and fulfilling relationship.Good Luck.- Harvey

• I wouldn't want to date another me, I'd rather have someone a little different.