Why aren't fighting games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, etc.) not as popular as other genres such as shooters/3rd person action games?

As most of your who have been on GaG for awhile know, I am a HUGE fan of fighting games. From Street Fighter, to Tekken, to Mortal Kombat, to Soul Calibur, to Guilty Gear, and the like... they are so fun to play with tons of replay value.

But for some reason, in the current era of video gaming, fighting games have gone through a drought in terms of their popularity and the amount of people younger than me playing these games... and the preference goes to games such as shooters (Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Rainbow Six, etc.), and action games such as Grand Theft Auto.

Whether you are a gamer or not, why do you think that fighting games are slipping further and further down the totem pole in terms of popularity, and the dismal number of people in their teens and 20s playing them in comparison to other genres?

Reply in as much detail as you wish! #PleaseAndThankYou

Most Helpful Girl

• Mortal kombat... yay. I think it's just a matter of interest and I find shooting games to be monotonous as opposed to people who say fighting games are monotonous. Tried to play call of duty a few times and just couldn't get into it.

It is all about the market though... fifa and pes are probably never going out of fashion.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because all those games are the same shit, the characters practically have all the same moves and once you've played a few of them they all feel like the same thing with updated graphics. The FPS are more diversity. I miss the fighting games but they gotta figure out how to stop making them so hopelessly dull.

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 9

• When you get into fighting games it represents a very narrow type of game play. I dont mean that in a negative way... its just a different style that has a very high focus on technique... probably similar to shooters in a online competitive game play. And you won't see very many shooters there are in the style of fighting games, though there have been a few and were never popular.

In that style of play; environment, story, non-combat action take on less of a roll. Again, not a judgment of better or worse, just a difference. To me, this means the market will be smaller for fighters than for some other types of games. It is easier to design a story game with mixed fighting and shooting activities than it will be to design an in depth technical fighter into a story line. But id like to point out that competitive fighting is every bit as active as competitive shooters or strategy games.

• Why? Because, and this is merely my opinion, FPS games have a range from not needing any skill at all to really skilled... and all can still enjoy it. Add in the customization and navigating virtual worlds... it has it's own appeal. Personally I only like arcade FPS games, it's a short-lived thrill for me and I enjoy aiming the actual plastic gun. I like RPG and adventure games. Kingdom Hearts... FF. I also like co-op games like Overcooked and Badlands etc... I enjoy the interaction.

My son Phoenix's name is a Tekken reference. 😜

Really, tournament wise, I think fighting games reliance on skill and button mashing speed has too much contrast. But I do still like the nostalgia of playing old games. I have an SNES simulator on my PSP with Mario and Donkey Kong games. 😊

• Sorry I meant in terms of... with fighter games you're either a novice/casual gamer, an advanced competitive... or... a sweatshop created Japanese speed masher. lol There is no in between! lol

• not all fighting games have that mechanism.

Marvel Vs Capcom 1, 2 and 3 for example. in that game all you need to do is press buttons like crazy and your fighter will perform any random attack out of the blue.

• @CasaNorba Marvel 1 I know for sure had an "Easy Mode" choice to rapidly press abutton and do a designated special over, Marvel 2 may have had that. 3 does too.

But only beginners play that mode.

• I enjoy RPGs and third person shooters I guess because it tells more of a story than just fighting over and over again. I've played Soul Calibur a few times and never really seemed to get into it - not because it's not a good game, only because it doesn't have what I'm personally looking for which is I guess a more immersive type of experience where you get to explore places and follow a compelling enough story line. If the fighting games had "worlds" that the characters could walk around in then encounter their opponents, that would probably make it more interesting for me.

• Lmao those games got old to me real quick. I wanna go on adventure/mysterious hunts. I didn't like just fighting in one setting

• There's less to explore and see.

Gets repetitive very easily.

• Fighting games are my thing. I think 90s kids love them more than others or people who love arcades

• Because guns! :D

• They are to me lol I like them the most out of any genre

• I think it's because they might be a bit repetitive. Personally I really like them especially Tekken

What Guys Said 10

• Simply because the fighting games are still pretty limited in moves and outcomes. You can learn a character, find a couple of combos that always work, and can defeat most players with them.

FPS have multiple enemies coming at you from all sides and there are far more things you have to deal with - and each run through on the same map can be very different - especially with human (rather than AI) opponents. There's just far more depth and realism possible with those games than 1v1 fighter games.

• You know, I don't know why a lot of game genres have disappeared. The shooter is the game that has mass appeal, but before the age of cheap gaming (i. e. PC gaming), there were not only more fighting games but more adventure games too. Like games where you walk around, talk to people, solve puzzles like Gabriel Knight, Monkey Island, King's/Space Quest, or even Leisure Suit Larry. I thought that with the whole 3D, first person technology, adventure games would take off even more but they didn't -- instead, they basically disappeared.

First person shooters are what the masses want to play so in the end, that's what gets made. I find it funny that someone below said that fighters are "all the same" without realizing that shooters (to non-shooter fans) also feel all the same. You have a reticle, a gun barrel in front of you and you run through hallways pretending you're either a space marine, spy, or WWII soldier.

• Fighting games gotten to simplistic.

• Various fighting game developers, have said that their games have been simplified as a response to "fighting games are too hard to play" (such as Marvel Vs Capcom 2/3, Street Fighter 4, Tekken Tag 2).

The idea of simplified play like Street Fighter 5 (combos are shorter and easier to time) and King of Fighters 14 (a combo ending with a super-move, done by whacking a single button), is a response to "fighting games are too hard to play".

• I also love to play street fighter and king of fighters KOF. I personally don't like games like call of duty bt I like GTA San Andreas.
    I think its about personal opinion about games.
    TFG are more like story games and KOF and street fighter are like easy and short type games.

• I'm guessing because people are sick of them.

if you compare any of today's shooting games with shooting games from the 90s or 80s you would see a lot of difference. fighting games in other hand never seem to progress on anything other than it's graphics. they also get pretty boring just moving back forth and exchanging attacks.

lets not forget that all fighting games have the same bullshit plot.

• What do you mean?
    There are entire tournaments devoted to them, with BIG chas prizes.
    EVO is but one of them.

• Oh trust me I know, I went to EVO last year and it was a big turnout!

But still, in term of sales and active accounts, fighting games are way less popular than shooters. Not many people under 25 playing them in comparison to shooters and action games.

• In that case, it must be because fighting games are harder to make for game makes, and hard to master for gamers.
      Plus, every game is different with a new release.
      I played SF 3, 4 and 5, and they are all different.
      Same thing with Tekken 5, 6, 7.

Shooter are way simpler. Shoot and don't get shot. lol.

• I mean all games get boring after a while, but I just get bored of fighting games much faster. Back in the 90's they were the shit though. Loved the old mortal kombats, killer instinct, street fighter. Good times, the SNES was one of the best systems ever made.

• God, people on GaG are so disgustingly casual.

The real answer is that fighting games are niche and require a much higher skill level. In a shooter, you get good just by playing enough and learning the maps, guns, etc. You could play a fighter for twenty years and not improve at all, though. You have to study high-level play, learn frame data, matchups, etc. in addition to constantly analyzing both your moves and your opponents' in order to remain unpredictable and stay in their head. Shooters/RTS/MOBA don't compare and never will.

• They were back in the 90's but their day is done now

• 1. To succeed at a fighting game you need to be good yourself. It is one on one and you can't rely on teammates helping.
    2. Lag can heavily influence the outcome of a fighting game match. A half second of lag in favor of one player gives them such an edge. It also does in a shooting game, but you can still kill the other players that are lagging as much as you on the host's connection.
    3. The new characters/story isn't as interesting as the older ones were in some fighting games, so people don't want to play them as much. This was my experience with Soul Calibur. I liked part 4, but I didn't care for the new characters in part 5.
    4. They've lost some features of past games. I liked the Chess combat in one of the older MK games a lot. It wouldn't hurt them to include that in multiplayer in the newer ones.
    5. They need regional/county/city/state/country/and world ranked leader boards. I would be much more interested in playing with other people from my own city and county and being ranked among them than on a global leader board.