Black Man Makes Friends With KKK, People Consider Him A Race Traitor?

Daryl Davis is a Black-American R&B and blues musician, author, actor, Lecturer and activist. One of his works is that he goes out and befriends the KKK. He tried to offer them a hand of friendship. He tries to show them a peaceful way, and also tries to show them that being friends with a black man is possible. He has helped many Klan Members quit because they eventually came to know Daryl and care about him. Over 200 Klan members has been affected by this man.

He recently released a Documentary called "Accidental Courtesy" which is pretty much about his journey into befriending the KKK. It's out on Netflix, I would recommend it. But many people on the Left, Especially minorities like Latinos and Blacks or Black Lives Matter think he's an Uncle Tom, Coon or Race Traitor for doing so.

If you watch the Documentary there's even a scene where Daryl Davis is having a discussion with BLM activist and they basically tell him to fuck himself, to never come back to the hood, he's a traitor and a white man worshiper, and that he's basically too weak on white people.

When you look at Daryl Davis work, his philosophy is based on his question "How can you hate me, when you don't even know me?" Which is part of his motivation to befriend his enemies, but also he adopts a lot from Martin Luther King Jr., he comes from a place of Friendship, Compassion, Love, Forgiveness. He believes in freedom of speech and defends the Klan's right to their speech even though he disagrees.

This is odd because people on the left, minorities, BLM claim to respect Martin Luther King Jr. and yet they hates a black man that based his whole philosophy on Martin Luther King Jr. What are your thoughts on this?

17

Most Helpful Girl

• he can be friends with whoever he wants

Most Helpful Guy

• how do we know these people are on the left? this are just youtube commenters.

but as a black guy i see nothing wrong with it. it seems to me he is trying to use personal connections to erase intolerance and hate. i know i've been able to show people a different point of view to consider in life just by having a discourse with them

but don't be prejudice to say that BLM or people on the left are doing bla bla bla... that's just as prejudice as the commenters

• I know because I check out many of their comments, and pages, and in my university the people who are against him typically are from the left and BLM, most of the criticism tend to be minorities. And I'm a mixed race black-latino, and I'm also a liberal so I'm just calling out a lot of what I see from my side.

• "people who are against him typically are from the left and BLM, most of the criticism tend to be minorities"
      that speaks volumes. so you are making assumptions based on your very limited interaction. there are 6 billion people on earth but you are presuming something about millions of people based on your interactions with people at your college and commenters on youtube

• thanks for MHO

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 6

• The people calling him a race traitor and white supremacists are no different: They are all racists. This just shows how racism is still alive, and it isn't all against minorities.

• Let me ask you this when has the same non violence that King preached was preached by anyone white? And be specific name one white figure that preached the same message that King preached that spoke out against racists like the kkk Where's the same compassion, love that he talks about from anyone white? Why are blacks the only ones where compassion , and especially forgiveness is expected out of them? Native Americans and Jews never are expected to have compassion or forgiveness for what the kk and other racists did to them but blacks sure better huh?

• I can't be friends with someone, who is a member of an organization that historically thinks so lowly and negatively, of me and my ancestry.

#SelfHate

• Well stranger things have happened, who am I to judge can enemies not be friend or at least have a kind of respect for one another like opposing generals?

• Great post mate.. glad to see something like this come up on here and its a shame more people can't see it

• People calling him "race traitor" are racists.