I think my professor likes me, and I am hugely crushing for him, what do I do????

My prof has made long eye contact with me, gave me a lot of importance throughout the semester, tried to get me a raise based on his unrequested... Show More

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses; most of you blatantly claim its unethical but he's not grading me any different or anything and obviously wants to know when I will be done. He is actually a conservative guy and I know he's not a pig
If its so hard to find someone why would you just walk away when you do? IT sucks he's my professor but he won't be forever! come on! Am I the only hopeless romantic out there?

Most Helpful Guy

• He asked you if you're married, so you can also ask him...plus other questions about his personal life, which will show interest.

Don't come on too strong though. Also, it's best to wait until you've finished his class before getting involved with him, since it wouldn't look good otherwise because of the whole "conflict of interest" thing.

Asker upvoted
    • I know he's not married and I have never came on strong, in fact I'm kind of a shy girl but my face tells a lot people say.. I think he's waiting for me to be done so its not unethical and he doesn't get fired..I don't see why its a big deal if you're a former student, he's not a pervert and I think the age becomes less of a difference as you get older..thanks for your comment.

• Yeah, it should be not too bad ethics-wise as long as you're not under his direct supervision. It still is a complicated situation for him because even if he doesn't mean to, he can still have subconscious bias when grading or writing you recommendations.

Universities have ethics committees that decide what the rules are, but generally they say that academics should avoid situations where there might be a "perceived bias", whether or not that bias exists.

• Also, since he's a young prof, I'm going to assume he does not have tenure. This makes it more complicated because even if he's not doing anything that would get him fired immediately, his actions could still affect his image with his peers. And unlike other jobs, that's very important, because they decide if he gets tenure or not.

Not saying he won't ask you out, because it sounds like he is going to...just explaining why he might be hesitating.