What is more important: Career or Relationship?

I was having a debate about this with someone recently. She thought that career was more important. Career comes first, and then since you are more established, you can find a relationship later. I feel that it is the other way around. First, you develop your relationships, then you are able to become more confident in your career.

What do you all think? What would you do first?

• Career
  • Relationships
  • Neither (Please explain.)
Now that I think about it more, I agree with the majority of the girls that it is neither. You never really know when you will have an established career or fall in love.

Most Helpful Girl

• You need a career to live and support yourself but you also need relationships for your overall well-being and emotional health. This question is more about which one is more important to establish first and less about which one is actually more important than the other.I would say relationships are more important overall because without friends and lovers life would be a dull, empty exsistance. Yes, I do believe it is important to establish a career before you go actively searching for some kind of relationship because more than likely the relationships will come to you. You can't wait around for a career and expect to get one unlike relationships where you can wait around and something will most likely happen. Heck, why not pursue both at the same time? There really is no harm done if you can manage both. Good luck!

GAG Video of the Day

Would you date someone younger/older/married?

What Guys Said 15

• neither...I'm voting for "Purpose." If you find what you are passionate about doing in life, the right relationships will line up with that. So in the end, you get both, and hopefully don't have to sacrifice everything for the other.

• WHY ARE PEOPLE CHOSING RELATIONSHIPS OVER CAREER...if your talking marriage its a differnt thing...but unless my girlfriend is paying all my bills then there is NO WAY she is getting in the way of me making money and doing what I paid my college education for...people are DUMB DUMB DUMB

relationships come and go...end of story, there is usually one person out there for you and if you find it great, but no way should you let a relationship get in teh way of your career...

• oh, career. without any hesitation. with a career it'd be SO easy to be involved in a relationship

• Neither is more important - you need both.

Interesting to see how many guys think a woman's pants will fall off if they only had a bit more wealth. These people although sometimes saying career, are mainly choosing it as a route to a relationship.

Also how few see a career as much more than a way to get money (rather than to help others, or for challenge and personal growth etc).

• I think for guys it's definitlely career. I'm actually surprised the poll has guys split 50/50 and pretty much the same for girls (of those who didn't choose "neither"). The reason career is more important for most guys is that our ability to attract and keep a girl in the first place as well as to get another one if the relationship fails is directly tied to our employment. Girls tend to care a fair bit about what a guy does.

Since guys don't really care as much about what girls do for a living as they do about our careers, having or not having an established career doesn't really help or hurt a girl looking for a guy.

• i think a career makes a girl more secure in dating and more independent, I don't think it's true that guys don't mind it

More from Guys
10

What Girls Said 22

• career by far. this from a 35 year old woman that has learned that men come and go but your career will always be there and will be what ALWAYS carries you through. no effin way I would put a man before my career. no way. no how. ain't happening.

• relationship. happiness over wealth for me

• Don't you think that having a successful, rewarding career would bring you happiness?

• I agree with this. Money is only a temporary happiness.

• it would bring me happiness if I still had a great relationship alongside the career. but otherwise it would not for me personally. I would much rather be a happy housewife than a lonely successful career woman. that's just how I am :)

• Neither, I don't think that one needs to come before the others. I do think that you should be financially able to support yourselves if you're getting married, and in that case a career is needed, but not before you start looking for a relationship. I wouldn't limit myself to this, I've stumbled into a good relationship while doing my masters, and even though I'm not established in a career, I'm willing to get serious about it, but I know that I will need to find a food job/career in a few months, so in my case I'm doing both at the same time.

• Both are important, but each have pros and cons if you just pick one and not the other.

What matters is OVERALL happiness, which comes form both of these and lots of other things.

• Well the fact is that I'm not going to be with you're a dead beat. You don't have to be the richest guy in teh world but if you don't have a job, it's not any better. If you're rich adn I don't love you, what's the point?

the fact is that both are equally important: without one, you're not likely to be a in healthy relationship or have a good successful life (since I measure success based on happiness). if you're unhappy, there's no point to life either and you ned both to be happy.

More from Girls
17