Why are so many young women vulgar?

I've been noticing a trend with a lot of younger women these days being vulgar where there is no need to be. As a man, using foul language is something I generally reserve for when I'm REALLY angry with a justifiable cause. Spouting off obscenities reeks of immaturity or lack of a proper vocabulary, or both.

Here are two examples in the last week that took me off guard:

1. I was engaging a 18 year old girl in a debate about politics. She was actually fairly well-read on the subject matter at hand. Out of nowhere, she says "what the f***" I need to register to vote. There was no point that she could have made without that comment. Why be so vulgar?

2. There was a girl I was chatting with online. After a while, I told her she looked like a chipmunk with smiley face. (She was a fairly attractive girl.) She just lost it. "What the f*** is your problem!?!?" We had a decent conversation prior to that, but after her expletive-laced outburst, she left the conversation not to return.

I strongly encourage those ladies out there that are seeking a decent man to stop cursing like sailors. It doesn't make you sexy. In fact, even though my male friends and I will let off the off-colored remark in private, we never make a point of saying anything like that in front of strangers, or use it as an excuse to blow your top like girl number 2.

Is it too much to ask for girls to cut down on the cursing?

This question has a poll!

• Vote A I curse a lot
  • Vote B I speak like a lady
  • Vote C I speak like a lady (most of the time)
  • Vote D Men Click Here (results)
Lessons learned:

1. Girls want to curse for a variety of reasons.

2. There seems to be no context for when or why you should let loose.

3. Don't ever playfully tease a girl on her looks, even when she refers to your face as a brillo pad and you laugh it off first and think nothing of it.

4. Even the most beautiful girls are very insecure, perhaps more so than average girls.

5. When in doubt, see number 1.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 38

What Guys Said 8

• I despise guys who instead of paying attention to what I have to say, hold their breaths to hear me make a light remark with a "bad" word. Freedom of speech, and expression!

Just because you have an image of a perfect coman who does't cuss doesn't mean all woman must limit their vocabulary to please you.

If it makes us "sexier" in your book, you should consider changing up your book. No woman/girl will change how she talks for you.

:)

• yeah I guess some girls do but don't generalize. I rarely use bad language. the ONLY reason I'd ever do it is when someone insults me or offends me or puts me down... then I let them see what I think about it ;)

• I think its their way to caught more attention and I guess they feel fab doing it.

• every time I answer a f***ing question on this site it picks the wrong answer...i was trying to say I curse a lot and it decided I was a man... anyways girls curse for the same reason boy do, they heard it growing up and it became part of their vocab, also sometimes it really is the best way to express a feeling, it is all about knowing the appropriate time and place

• I'm somewhere between A and C. Depending on the company I'm in. Generally speaking, if I just met you, am around my family, children, classes, haven't sworn around you before, etc-- It just evaporates from my vocabulary. Doesn't even cross my mind. While in contrast there are some friends I'll swear around a lot more. (usually at an appropriate emphasis point, not continually or every other word.)

But it certainly has nothing to do with me "talking like a lady"- rather if the situation permits it or not.

I have absolutely no qualms speaking the profanities themselves.

One of my friends at one point mentioned how they had never heard me swear, which I found bizarre, but they had just never been around me in a swearing permitted situation. So to make the point it wasn't due to scrupples on my part I threw a good handful in my next couple sentences...apparently he found that attractive...its was a really awkward moment...

• I swear, but I have some control. Most of the time when I swear it accidently slips, but I don't drop F-bombs every other sentance.

• There's different situations when it's slightly more appropriate. But in general I don't like it. I can't stand people that cuss every other word. I slip up occasionally, but I try to to even cuss around my friends. I think it makes someone a lot harder to respect if they can't control their language.

• try to *not cuss around my friends.

• i've never cursed, at least out loud or used those bad words... I've said some words not as bad as the F-word and felt really bad about it (like if I've said a sentence with 10 words which 9 of those were f-words...)

• I've noticed this too, I cuss usually when I'm around friends , but not in front of authority figures. I talked to my uncle who had just got out of prison and he was cussing every few words and it was just really unnecessary. I don't cuss much, but the cussing I do I've limited it to myself.

• i only do it when I am annoyed or something. This one other girl I know, literally every word out of her mouth was f*** f*** f***ity f*** f***in f*** f*** omygawd this is so f***ing like blah blah...

I could barely stand listening to her. I only curse if I am saying something very emphatically or if I get annoyed, not in normal conversation. I did when I was younger but I cut back a lot.

• I never find why people curse when they are making a simple statement or just asking a question. I don't curse like ever and 25% of my friends don't curse at all like me, but the other 75% of my friends just curse like crazy. When they do this I say why are you cursing and if they don't stop cursing then I simply walk away.

I REALLY hate it when people can say a sentence without adding a curse word. I think it is not a mature thing to do it is immature and rude because you don't know how to speck.

• I would not call it seeking lady like but speaking like you know how to. It's not that I don't like people that curse (totally not, like I said most of my friends curse) but, I try to avoid cursing.

• I try to avoid swearing, but, I won't say I don't swear. There are times that I do, but only when people get me very upset or really angry, which rarely happens.

• LOL! I love the numbered summary. Pretty accurate too. The average girls tend to be made of stronger "stuff" that the fragile beauties towards whom guys usually tend to migrate. My favorite is "5. When in doubt, see number 1."

Funny you should mention the brillo pad comment. Guys will laugh something like that off a little more easily than many girls, but they also know to aim at certain comments about a person's looks. For example, my friend M** has a really large sort of nose. Personally, I think it looks good on him because it suits his face. It's pat of a "rugged" look he's got going on. Anyhow, his FB friends made some comments that would have really stung me if they'd been directed my way, but he just laughed it off and called them A***s, then let it drop. He even made it his profile pic on purpose. I asked him if it had hurt his feelings and he just sort of shrugged it off. It's the sort of remark he'd heard since he was a little kid.

I have a long nose -- yeah, it suits my face now, since I have high cheekbones and "massive eyes," but when I was a kid I'd come home crying because the guys at school would make fun of my nose. If I was on the school steps, they'd sit a few steps under me... "in the shade of that nose" -- I can shake my head about it now and just chalk it up to being stupid kids, but back then it wasn't so funny and I shoved the guy off the school steps (then smoothed out my skirt because I'm a lady, lol). No cursing. ;-)

My point is that women take things to heart (rather differently than guys might). We're all very expressive in our own way. Some people are demonstrative (baking, playful nudges, turning away) and others are very verbal. The cursing is an unfortunate side thing that's developed as a result of increased sociological expectations -- and, I would say, spending so much time around guys in settings that guys would normally "let loose" and curse...

• - I curse when I'm angry and for legit reasons. its not usually my style. I'm quite lady like in personality.

-regarding the #2 scenario, that girl was definitely justified for cursing at you, you called her a chipmunk after all. your #3 lessons learned should be pushed up to #1 as priority. never comment on a girls looks in a negative way, it isn't gentleman like or classy at all.

• there are better ways to tell a joke, a joke is funny when its impersonal what this guy did is- make a joke out of her, and you really shouldn't jump to name calling when youve just met someone...its better to flirt, get to know them and compliment rather than turn them off.

• No, she wasn't justified. It was a f*cking joke. Sarcasm. And she flips her lid over it. Which means ... stay the heck away from her.

• I curse so much that I don't even realize that I'm cursing, it's just such a normal thing in my life that I happened to pick it up somewhere along the line. It's not that I want to purposefully, it just kind of happens.

• Yeah def, like in my house it's like "where are my f***ing socks"

• this is me exactly. Its just a part of how I use words to express what I want. And I think it does have a lot to do with your surroundings. Everyone I know, even after coming to a huge university, seems to be like me. I've actually haven't met anyone I can think of that thinks its strange haha

• is it too much to ask for guys to cut down on the cursing? it's not just girls open your F***ING eyes :) really speak like a lady? WOW how about guys speak like gentlemen. stop focusing this on young women because every gender and race does it. as for people in general using profanity when unnecessary, I'm guessing that is due to our language disintegrating into nothing more than slang. uneducated or their environment such as their parents(if they cuss a lot) they have to pick it up somewhere

• 6. brillo pads are awesome

• The logic behind why I curse so much is simply because I do not give a f***. Who is to say f*** is a bad word? It's simply a word that I use to add onto other words for the hell of it. For example, "I want a f***ing iPhone." I don't think that's vulgarity. Society says it's vulgarity and I do not listen to society. If ladies are seeking a decent man for themselves and they curse a lot then a decent man might stand behind her and say "that's my woman." And that's what my man says. Sorry I'm not sorry

• 1. Why are so many young women vulgar?

While because in my country America the society is vulgar.

2. Why be so vulgar? Freedom of speech, vulgar society, and probably because she's young. You can't talk to most young people without them cursing. Most guys can't go

3. Is it too much to ask for girls to cut down on the cursing?

Is it too much to ask for guys to stop trying to control or 'strongly encourage' the behavior of women with actions that aren't illegal? Probably and American men have generally shown that to be a conclusive yes. People will do what they want and as long as it isn't illegal no need to dictate it.

"I strongly encourage those ladies out there that are seeking a decent man to stop cursing like sailors. "

I strongly encourage guys out there that are seeking a beautiful girl to stop expecting her to overlook your lack of physical attractiveness because you're so nice and to be hot or rich. Probably won't happen because people can and will do what they want as long as it's not illegal...or even if it's illegal for some people.

• As a potty-mouth person, most of the people I come into contact with don't have a huge problem with swearing. Heck, some of my professors swear occasionally. Sometimes if I'm rambling about something I will forget not to swear & it just slips out.

Also, I tend to be a more humorous/goofy person & things do sound a lot funnier when you swear. As far as the topic of "speaking like a lady", adult language is for adults so if you're an adult, I don't see what the issue is if you use it for casual speak. I gave on the "classiest woman on Earth" contest that a lot of females compete in a long time ago. It's pointless.

• Show More
  • Selected as most helpful

I can see both sides of the argument. One that you can appear to be vulgar when it is completely unnecessarily to do so, also that you're just automatically assuming you aren't going to offend the other person you just met with the strong language you're using. On the other hand, I believe that "magic words" or "bad words" is a pretty silly concept in general. And although that's true I find myself hypocritical in the fact that I don't personally appreciate when girls speak like this and also the ones that do I find are always a little bit angrier / crazier. Then again, it depends on the type of guy you're going after... some guys might love it.

• I think it depends a lot on upbringing and social circles as well. My girl curses more than I do, but I can tell you makes a conscious effort not to when she's around me and the odd time she lets something slip out I actually find it kind of funny. It's when that's every second word out of someone's mouth, or when it's just inappropriate circumstances when it bothers me.

• Judging by the poll, it appears that we are in the minority. I am a strong believer against censorship, but due believe in self-regulation. Judging by most of the comments, the "anything goes" mentality regardless of circumstances appears to be in. If equality means picking up on what was once traditionally a lower-class male form of expression and mainstreaming it for both guys and girls, I'm not sure how this is a victory. If our President or other leaders spoke like this all the time...

• Hey there TheDigitalStaint. Here is what a 19 year old chick I know had to say.

"Tell him to chill the f*** out f***ing hell I'll say whatever I damn please and if he doesn't like it he can suck d*** f*** man f*** f***."

• Why are people so easily offended?

It's a f***ing word. Get over it.

• I find vulgarity very attractive. And why is vulgarity not classy? Because classy people are defined as pretentious snobs that get offended at the most trite things?

• It's not a matter of being offensive as much as it just being unattractive. Not classy...

• I've noticed this and agree with everything you said... I've concluded that a lot of young people think it's cool.

Ya know what I think would be cool? A girl who is beautiful and all that, but actually acts like a lady and shows a more developed sense of character, and that she's different than all the rest... Definitely the kind of woman I want to get to know...

• Haha, I can most definitely deal with burping... ;)

• *bbbbuuuurrrrrppppp*

just kidding... XD

• DItto.

Women who curse a lot strike me as crass and unrefined. As a wise man once said, “Profanity is the weapon of the witless.”

• sh*t, I clicked "i curse a lot" lmao I didn't see (men click here) foook I feel like a tard

• at least I wasn't the guy who voted "i speak like a lady" LMFAO

• lol I don't care...i messed up, oh well

thumbs down from someone too? really...lmao people are strange hahahaahahha

• why would you admit that lol now we all know the moron who did it! hahaha jk

• Wow. I haven't heard something like this in a long time now. I don't know the word in English, but the concept is "machista" in Spanish, that's the opposed concept to a feminist. Looks like an opinion from someone who lived in the XIX century, when women were thought as property of men (by men of course) still and men dictated the forms. "girls need to talk nice and behave themselves"; "Men should only curse when appropriate".

What the hell is wrong with you dude? Humans are humans regardless of their gender and there's nothing wrong with expressing your ideas with whatever language you use. Those words you don't like constitute a part of your language as well, and they express very specific concepts. Why not use them? what's so wrong about them?

Here are my opinions on your two examples.

1. That was just an expression. Yes, she could have used other words, but she probably didn't mean any offense, just expressed herself.

2. You called her a chipmunk? I mean, you compared her to a tiny animal, or to the annoying animated version of that animal? Come on dude...there's no way that can sound as something nice unless she knows you well enough to understand you intended it to be cute.

As long as you see the universe parted in MALE and FEMALE as opposed to just one thing with two equal parts, you won't get stuff like this

• If I said a girl looked like a chipmunk, it would be because I find her fairly attractive. For me to say that, it would be a compliment. There's no need to just randomly lash out like that in that case. Even if she takes the comment offensively, she still could've responded in a much more civilized manner to express her emotions. It's one thing to cuss out of pain or longing frustration with something; it's another thing to cuss when arguing with a person. All cussing does during an argument is show someones immaturity and possibly lack of intelligence.

• Pfft. A word is nothing more than a meaningless sequence of sounds. Meaning and connotation are deciphered upon contextualization. So "bad words" are a myth. A word cannot have a motivation nor a desire - it's all about how you say it.

Plus, chicks who say and do what they want are sexy.