So my house was invaded the other day...

by a stray cat... my front door is messed up, and unless you lock it it doesn't stay shut. well my boyfriend left the other day and didn't lock it. I ended up getting a call from my mom, who saw the door open when she drove by. apparently it had been hanging open for like an hour. she managed to... Show More

Most Helpful Guy

• This probably goes without saying but I’m going to say it anyway. Don’t feed them. Look around your neighborhood and make sure none of your neighbors are feeding them. Remove any obvious sources of food and secure all outside waste containers.

Seal up any spaces that a feral cat may see as an attractive ‘nesting’ area. Some of their favorite places to make homes are underneath decks, sheds, foundations, and barns.

Contact your local animal control center and have them catch and remove the feline from your property.

Purchase a trap and capture the cat yourself. You can then drop it off at a shelter or release it far (at least 10 miles) away from your home. Be VERY careful when dealing with a trapped feral cat as they can be VERY nasty! Please also note that releasing the cat elsewhere will not solve the problem - only move it...

Extract the oil of a few dozen of the hottest peppers you can find (or use pepper spray), and apply it liberally to the areas that the cats frequent the most. The idea is to let the cats come into contact with the spicy formula so when they go to groom themselves they will get a spicy surprise. After a few tastes they will begin to stay away – this may need to be repeated often before the results are lasting.

Get a dog large enough to discourage any cats from venturing near your property. If you go this route, make sure you get the pooch immunized just in case he gets into a fight!

• i have asshat neighbors that leave their porch open for strays. so we have them literally all over the neighbor hood. its just the smell that I can't handle