How many days do you wait before you call someone back?

Is there really a rule to calling people back? I heard there's the two day rule so I was just wondering how many days you wait untill you call someone back.

This question has a poll!

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 11

What Guys Said 12

• Id wait 2 days, because it might seem like your really rushing the person and they may want you to just give them time to think about whatever it is that you called them for.

• I usually wait a couple days before calling someone back. Give them some time to think about me.

• I never liked playing games, and if things go well, and the person digs you, it won't bother him if you call soon after the date --he will be happy to hear from you--that's' the way it was with me and the hunny.

anyone you have to play games with may not be worth your time or heart.

• dude, if a guy waited 3-5 days. I'd get the wrong impression, and I'm hoping he calls me. lol

• there is no rule. its whenever you feel like.

• If I call a guy and he doesn't respond within 30 minutes I think he's ignoring me. If he ignores me 3 times I lose interest and find someone else. A guy can ignore 50% of my text messages, 20% of my phone calls, and 40% of my e-mails. any more than that and I'll get frustrated and stop speaking to him. I dated a guy who would call me once a week you can imagine how terrible that was!

• Yes, but you have to keep in mind that things can happen to make it hard for men to call. I Once went off on a guy who didn't call me for weeks only to find out someone close to him died ( a fact I verified) and I felt like a jerk...

• Thats true

• I said 2 days or the next day if I really like that person

• I at least prefer to call him back in 2 days or maybe evn the next day

• i voted two days tops. because if I get a guys' number or something. I don't want him to think dang! she's hecka on me already.the next day calling .you know? so I'd usually text something flirty in 2 days that's reminds them that it's ME!

if I give a guy my number and he doesn't call within longer than like 2-3 days I think he's not interested.

heres a story: I met this guy one day. I wasn't thinkin much . I just got out of a break-up so what if won't hurt to talk to someone. so just gave him my number when he asked. I been thinkin about him that whole week .because he was really cute.lol. but he never called sooo. like maybe 3-4 weeks later someone "unknown" text. I was like umm. whoa re you? it was him.i was like wow! is it really worth it? but than we went on dates and stuff. he was like I don't know why I waited so long. I was really shy. your a great girl.blah blah blah.

do guys really get shy or was that just a "playa move"?

• There are some guys that are really that shy. However, if a guy is that shy, he probably wouldn't have been able to ask for your number to begin with. Even if he had to muster up all the courage he had to get it, the fact that you gave it to him should boost his confidence. In this case, I would say he is either a player, was ending a relationship with and needed to be clear of that before starting something new, or he felt like he waited too long to begin with then one day had nothing to lose.

• AWWW.. I read yours.. that's cute!

i guess guys really do listen to their homies even if it's the most retardest thing to do lol

• This is the thing. he probably really is shy, because you can tell if a guy is lying (body language, the way they speak, etc) but all his hommies probably told him to wait awhile, so it doesn't look like he's desperate. but I don't think its desperate if you call them the same day or next day or whatever! read my response!

• Show Older
  • Yeah.the stupid rules! If he doesn't call me the next day, I just think to myself that he might not be very interested in me, and if he didn't think of me even once the day after the first date (and because of it-the lack of it-) doesn't call me.it just seems there's no chemistry, and therefore no second date! :P

• I don't think there is an actual rule however I did vote for 2. I guess you call whne you're ready and if you feel the time is right.

• Selected as most helpful

Depends on the situation, but I tend to apply the 3 day rule, unless the time/day was pre-determined. Definitely not the same day, generally that's just creepy. Next day seems too desperate. 2 days tends to be someone clingy, but some people like that, so not always a bad thing. On the 3rd day however, it shows a genuine interest. Beyond that doesn't show enough interest. Of course there may be some extenuating circumstances, i.e. hospitalization, suddenly having to go out of town for a funeral, maybe even a really busy week at work (depending on their job), etc. (assuming it actually happened). Personally, I only apply this to the first phone call, it depends on how things go from that point. After that, usually 2 days (again, unless specified), really depends on the situation. I've learned not to jump into anything too quickly, so really not more often than that for a little while. Now if she calls me, and leaves me a message to call her back, I will do it within a day if not the same day. If she calls me every day, I don't have a problem with that. However if she starts calling me several times a day and we haven't been dating exclusively for some time, then it starts to appear she has some dependence issues and I may want to keep looking.

• After they call you? Same day you get the message if they left one. Otherwise, depends on specifics.

• Well my rule has always been no less then 3 no more then 4. If you meet someone on a friday and call sunday it almost seems desperate. If you call saturday it does seem desperate. If you wait till monday maybe monday morning it seems like you have a life but still remembered the person. Tuesday it took a bit but your not desperate and you were still thinking enough of the person to call. But by Wednessday or 5 days after you met the person now its almost like you don't care. So there is a window normaly 3 or 4 days not 5. You might be able to pull off calling 2 days later if you wait till later in the day. So if you met someone Friday night don't call Sunday morning. If you have to call Sunday wait til after 7 PM.

• 24 hours at least.

• No. there's no rule. I call back the same day if I really like someone.I wait a few days if I'm not sure about them or I can tell they're not sure about me.

• Usually send a funny text or something right after meeting and call the next day to set something up.

• Well, just to clarify for everyone, the two-day rule is a rule that you wait no longer than two days before calling the person back, because after two days, they will start to think you're not interested in them.

However, I'm in business, so the rule of thumb in business is that you return phone calls as soon as you are able, because it's good business practice, and because it's because you would want someone to return your phone calls as soon as they are able. There is no time for games in business because there are deadlines and clients get pissed if they have to wait too long.

I have found, also, in dating, that if you play games with people with making them wait, they, in turn make you wait. It becomes a game that usually ends with somebody getting hurt. So, I would say that a person should probably return calls as soon as they are able or when it's a good time to talk, because the alternative is playing games, which usually doesn't go over very well. Does this help?

• Thanks Alicia! :)

• Hi five--I completely agree--my take--the second you start playing games you get caught up! I always say that the person you need to be with won't be peeved that you called the day after...

• Ha ha - yeah, I totally agree! :)

• Show Older
  • Depending on the circumstance under which I met the person, I'd wait 1-3 days.

• There's no rule for me and there never will be.

I'll call you whenever you pop into my head and I have the time.

• Good call --t hat way you are being honest with the girl and yourself--never change no matter what some dude tells you...

• If he reads askmen.com they suggest waiting 3-5 days. I don't remember the logic behind it, but that is what thier "love doctor" tells guys. Was it "love doctor" or "the doc", I don't remember lol.

• I too would think he was playing games and move on--life is too short--people need to just be real. The woman or man who thinks you are calling too early is just not the one fro you and may not be worth your time any way...

• If a guy waited to call me 3-5 days later, I'd probably forget about him and think he's player. I don't like that. if he was really interested in me, like my current boyfriend now, he'd call me the same day! lol, that's what he did.

• Alot of guys read hat site so there is a whole lot of guys waiting 3-5 days because the DOC suggested it. Just keep that in your memory banks, you never know if the guy you just met reads that site.

• Show Older
  • generally I wait a day or two. But really I do whatever I feel like doing. if I want to call you next day I will. If I wait a week, its because I've been realy busy.

• I cal when I call. I don't count days. If I'm thinking about you the next day I'll call you. If I'm thinking about you a week from now, I'll call you.

You don't pick up, I don't call you again.

Simple, Concise, Effective.

Haha.

• Yeah, but just as you can be busy she could be too--why should she respect your schedule and you not hers? I think you should try to call back at least more than once...

• Awesome! Sometimes you have a busy week and sometimes you don't!