Has Valentine's day become way to much commercialised to be romantic?

Any thoughts?

• Yes
    69%(11)67%(29)Vote67%(18)
  • No
    19%(3)19%(8)Vote19%(5)
  • Other..
    12%(2)14%(6)Vote14%(4)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Guy

• Valentines day sucks
    Women tell us its not important than if we dont do anything they get mad
    So it is important but for me at least its not very romantic just for the simple fact that it feels forced

Most Helpful Girl

• LOL you people who think it was ever a non commercialized day of innocent romance!
    It didn't become what it is today until the commercialization.
    It's an amalgamation of other PAGAN festivals and holidays that the Catholic Church tried to stomp out, kind of like Yule being celebrated on December 21 with a decorative evergreen...
    Yes a pagan fertility festival that ended with women lining up to be beaten by men with the skins of sacrifced animals, in hopes this would make them fertile, then the orgies would happen.

Some time later, two different men, both named Valentine were executed on the same day, February 15, yes fifteen, within 3 years of each other, so the Catholic Church named them saints, and appointed the day of a Christian feast in their honor on the 14th to take up the day that would have originally been spent whipping willing infertile women with bloody skins before their names were placed into a lottery for any eligible bachelor to try and impregnate!

• Thanks for the history lesson. Takes the swag out of Valentine's day even more.

• We don't celebrate it. Why only one specific day a year to spoil you SOS? Real acts of love are spontaneous, not expected.

What Guys Said 16

• i say no for one reason. you can make the day what you want it to be. my wife and i don't go out buying large gifts or anything unless we feel truly motivated

but we'll often just have a nice candlelit dinner or get some snacks and watch a movie. we essentially just make it a date night in the house. the last few years a venue near our house (this victorian mansion) holds a beer festival called "hearts and hops", cost about $20 and all the beer and food you can have so that has become something we've done

i think you can make the day what you want and ignore the commercialization of it if you want

• We can do whatever we want on the Holiday. I agree that it's kind of lame when people buy into the most commercial side of it. As a day which gives a couple an excuse to do something different and fun and maybe sexy/romantic though (not necessarily just adhering to marketing trends), I like it as long as long as I'm with a partner who isn't heavily influenced by the commercial aspect.

• "I like it as long as I'm with a partner who isn't heavily influenced by the commercial aspect," sorry.

• I don't think so. I think it's more in line with people having forgotten what romance truly is, and instead tries to do all those things they've seen in television/online.

• You can make Valentine's Day be whatever you want it to be. Madison Avenue can't take it away from you unless you let them.

• It always has been, I don't like it in general. A big issue I take with it is that it's a cop out, if you like someone why does valentines day have to be the day you show it. Why not every day? and why does it have to be with useless junk that will cost you a bundle and end up in the bin on the same day. While i'd probably still do something on valentines out of common courtesy, I feel like the holiday taints any real thought or emotion in it. Buying for valentines day is easy shops just bombard you with ideas, it's not thoughtful and it's not hard to do.

• And it's so discriminatory. The guys are supposed to do all the work, give all the gifts...

We're like Charlie Brown, never get anything!

Personally, I don't pay much attention to it. Anniversaries are the days to celebrate our relationship.

I do get some little gift, and my Latina and Chinese friends will also usually get me something affectionate

• Other such as feminism

• All special days are commercial. Wakie wakie.

• Yes and I like it that way.

• It can be commercialized. I don't care because i am forever alone.

• I go through the motions but it just feels like any other day to me

• Romance itself is garbage

• yes but who will explain it to gold diggers?

• well, yeah, i mean, it used to be a religious holiday, right? now it's just a cheap way for hallmark to make another buck

• I hate Valentines Day. Maybe cause I'm single.

• yea, i don't see the point in even dating a women. Women are just meant to be fucked. Which guy i their right mind wants to spend time and effort courting a girl. Fuck that shit.

What Girls Said 3

• I think they are commercial if you let them be.. you can ignore valentine trends and make your own way of celebrating.

• Only if that's how you choose to see it, and how you choose to celebrate it.

• yes.