What is even considered fat nowadays?

Does anyone else think that our society is becoming too accepting when it comes to whether or not a person is fat?

I'm not saying that there's something wrong with being fat (besides the possible health concerns). I just think that the gap between whether someone is overweight or obese is slowly getting smaller.
For example, according to a BMI chart, this woman in this link is overweight.
Her BMI is 28.3. However, I think our society would see her as being at a healthy weight.
This woman in this link is considered obese on the BMI scale with a BMI of 31.6, but I think a lot of us wouldn't call her obese.
BTW, I understand that BMI doesn't take into account muscle before everyone starts telling me that.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 11

What Guys Said 20

• someone who is size 6 and up is fat imo

• no way a run way model can be size 6

• Uhh I think that depends on how tall they are! Most models now are between a size 2 and 6, and none of them look fat, nor would they if they gained a few pounds. But that's because they're tall.

• well I'm a 4 and been called fat more than a couple of times

• I think that American society is polarizing it's conception of the human body. One part of that is thinspiration, the other part is obesity campaigns. Each damaging though they try to help people.

• Apparently me. people call me fat all the time-mostly girls. But I know I'm not fat I just have big boobs so whatever.

• Lol thumbs down-cool. and Thanks dude.

• You know you are not fat.

• Yeah, I completely agree with you actually. To me, an "obese" person is just somebody who is downright lazy and gives no attention to their health or enough concern to do anything about it. MacDonald's doesn't help either.

I mean, yeah, someone may be overweight on the charts, but if you're decent, care about your appearance and your health, and are doing something about it effectively, I wouldn't in my right mind think of someone badly. I have a friend who is really trying to lose weight, and she's about 30 pounds overweight, but I still think she's gorgeous and a great person because she cares and has already had tons of success. I don't know why anyone wouldn't date her because she's also hilarious! America is way too judgmental in the media, which is why the 'line' between overweight and obese is way slimmer than it used to be. Some time ago, being a little 'chubby' was always a plus. I don't know what happened haha. Blame it on the industries money-making models.

• I agree. and what's with the "skinny bitches" comment. Like ti's suddenly rediculous to be healthy and fit. There's a line, a big difference between being "thick" and being "fat."

• Well it really depends on age and the visual appearance. Bmi isn't really accurate.

It also depends on how you carry the weight.

For me, ifThere's any giant flabs that arnt boobs or butt, then it's fat.

But fat people either don't care or are comfterable like that.

Wow it's so complicated being fat =\

• I go by how the person looks, Like example : Chick who is 5'4 C cup and her tummy is like not flat but not round, look good. I am 5'11, a B cup, and I Measure, 36,29,42 I can pull off a two piece. and when people hear I am only 185 lbs they can not believe it, because its how I carry it. My best friend in the world swore up and down they thought I was 150 lbs, and they want me to gain weight. Like the chick in the picture is a F-A-T-T-Y .

But with guys, I like chubby guys ( like if he can not see his feet, he is too fat) But I find them a lot easiler to snuggle with. So I date guys who range from 235lbs- 265 ( even thou my guy is a bit bigger then that ranges , its all good) but of course they are 5'10 - 235 or 6'3 265.

and like I said Its all how a person carries their fat. If I was a 165 ( My Healthy Weight by text books) You could see my ribs, I look starved to death, Because I use to work out all the time, eat 1500 cals a day, so sugar and nothing like that, I got to the perfect ratio for a girl and when I looked at myself I looked sickly. So yeah, Like now I go for walks with my dog and eat when I am hungry and I keep my wieght at what feel good for me. Don't go by text books. Or some site online. Go by how the person feels, If they feel fat they should lose some weight. Inless their waist surpasses their boobs, then they should lose weight ... because fat girls aren't sexy XP

• Don't apologize. There is something wrong with being overweight. It is called heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes among other things. And, usually, it is for NO GOOD REASON other than to eat things people don't need to eat.

In the 70's we did not have overweight teenagers. Everyone was super skinny without even trying or obsessing about it. Then you got into your late 20's and started putting on a little weight and typically worked to improve your eating at that time and stay slim. Nowadays I see so many teenagers with extra weight, it is absolutely shocking.

Stop drinking those high calorie coffee drinks and energy drinks. Don't think fast food and junk food is a must have in your daily diet. It's not. Cut portions by about half if you are overweight. Our portion sizes are out of control here. Go to other countries and you will see, for the most part, they serve portions that are the size we used to serve in the U.S. If you are eating the right portions and reasonably healthy you won't have a weight issue. If you want to justify your need to eat horribly, sorry, I won't support that.

• Haha I agree so much with everything you said

• I agree with you. I am always really shocked at how fat young women and men are now a days. When I was 18 I was teeny tiny and so were my friends it seems to me now that younger women are wearing size 10 and 12 if they are 18 and wear that size just imagine how fat they are going to be when they are 30 and have had a few kids. If we think we are a fat America now just wait a few years. I think we have slackened our view on what is fat and overweight.

• Actually age has a lot to do with it. At 16 you should really be at your thinnest. You body is at its highest metoblic rate you will ever have and most 16 year olds have not had children that adds extra pounds to you. I still have the same frame size as well as most of my friends from high school but how we all weigh a bit more so it has nothing to do with your frame it is pure fat. You can be big framed and still be thin.

• You keep bringing up age when age has nothing to do with it.Age and frame are two different things you obviously do not understand

• I actually saw a sized ten model and a size 12 on modelmeyham (atleast that was thier dress sized according to the site) the size ten was fine and the 12 was a little over perfect weight (probably like 10-20 pounds) so I guess it depends on the girl. I'm just not fimilar with girls sizes and I've seen tons of perfectly skinny girls with curves that were a 6 or less, so 10 sounded disgusting

• Show Older
  • No, not even close..

Everyday there's always that one person picking at your looks, especially at your weight.

Now a days, if you were to wear a size 6, hell maybe even a size 4 you're consider fat.

• As I said on the answer above yours. I don't even think size 10 is fat It's what I prefer. What kind of shallow asshole think a size 4 or 6 are fat? Sorry if that sounded harsh.

• Selected as most helpful

Your BMI has nothing to do with being fat or not.

I think you're fat when you're body fat percentage is over 22%(Males)

I think you're fat when your body fat percentage is over 28%(Females)

Society is becoming much too accepting of fat people, I cannot emphasize this enough.

Everyone except for people with medical conditions get the physique they deserve. I'm really tired of people complaining about how they're fat and how they should be accepted. Well, guess what I'm tired of fat asses eating all the food and breeding, revolutionizing the human race into a weak, fat, and worthless species. If you're a fat person and reading this, I'm sorry to say this, but you're fat because you accept it. If you don't want to be fat anymore then do something about it. It's not hard at all, study up on how the human body works, the human body is so easily manipulated. It just p*sses me off. Fat people are immoral. They're just as bad as people who choose to be homeless without jobs. It will be a shame if society begins to accept them too, oh wait, I suppose that's where all the government's welfare money is going to, homeless people.

• i got a Fat answer but too tired to type,

• I don't know what is considered fat/thin. All I know is that you're considered to be fat if you can't fit through a basketball hoop.

• well fat typically means when you can pinch areas and there is more than an inch in the thickness of the fold. AMERICA's idea of obese has changed, everywhere else its the same. however unhealth and fat get mixed up all the time. somepeople are physically health just overweight.

• no, the girl in the 2nd link with the BMI of 31.6 IS obese. don't know if you're lieing or trolling.

but yes our society is becoming too accepting which leads to fat people in denial which leads to fat people not losing weight or working out which is why america keeps getting fatter.

• The piano girl is the same girl that your new link is just in different attire.

• These links are completely messed up LOL. every time I click the link it switches from picture to picture. I got the piano girl, then some girl peeking through a door, then a piano girl, from THE SAME link. I don't know what to tell you, but both the piano girl and the girl facing forward with those wide ass legs in her jeans are fat

• The link's just messed up, I didn't change it. I've clicked on it before and it's gone to the piano girl, so I thought she might've been what you were looking at, hha.

• Show Older
  • What is considered fat? Whatever the media says is fat.

Do you have any idea how much money there is in making people feel bad about how they look?

Want proof? Look in any womens or mens magazine. Count the advertisers...now how many of them are for things other than the "How to improves"?

They make their money by making you believe you don't measure up. They make their money by making you feel like you're ugly, or fat, or you don't dress the right way.

They don't have to tell the truth. They don't even have to come close. If there were laws requiring honesty they would all be out of business in short order.

I bet if you lined up the owners of these publications, most would be fat, ugly, poorly dressed, or any combination of the three. Do you think they care? Not with your hard earned money in their pockets.

• people who don't have muffin tops are not overweight. The people who sit around and bitch about how fat people are treated badly aren't doing anything positive to help their own cause.

It's time for people to get motivated. Start eating healthy and start jogging. If you just sit there and wait, the weight isn't going to melt off of you like ice cream does on a Good Humor Chocolate Eclair. It just doesn't work like that.

• Yea onetwo3 is def right

• You can't really judge if someone is overweight or not by muffin top. If an obese woman wears the correct size pants she will not have muffin top and if a thin girl wears very tight pants she will have muffin top.

• Yes, toitally, it's considered impolite to even bring up how fat some people are. They get angry as if YOU are wrong to notice they need two chairs to sit on! Nothing wrong with them living on chocolat donuts, oh no!

• Haha exactly! and of course it's totally all right for them to pick on skinny.people and tell them they need to eat.

• Obesedy is an epidemic, too much bad food and too little exercise is a modern western problem.

• I think people worry about weright and looks way more they should while they should be more focused on HEALTH =)

and if your worried about how fat people are... maybe try to figure out why its so overlooked and how our society has evolved from the 1950's. large corperate american food industries have bought out all the smaller companies and taken over the food industry. and while doing so they have turned the food we eat into super high fatyt food with little nutrients and jam packed them full of harmfull chemicals. not only that but they are cruel to the they raise, causing them to suffer every minute they are raised to be our food! and they've turned millions of great paying all american jobs into minimum wage positions with dangerous health risks that only illigal immigrants will try to get hired for.

So if being fat bothers you, maybe you should concider the rest of that too lol

If your actualy interesting in my wild ramblings...check out the documentary "food. inc"

that will get your mind spinning for sure!

• I'm at a healthy weight, so being fat doesn't personally bother me. I just think it's very unhealthy that a great portion of people in america are overweight, and that because it is becoming more common, it is also becoming overlooked to be fat. I might have to check that documentary out :) supersize me is honestly one of my favorite movies. I love things like that haha.

• I'm 17 stone and clinically obese, but 3 stone of that weight is from my enormous penis and testicles, and the two stone is from the miniaturised laser canon that have been implanted into my forearms.

I'm a sex and death machine and I rock.

Maybe some of these other so-called fat people are concealing hidden weapons under layers of flesh too?

Just sayin'.

• Oh, okay, I see. I guess I better not ask then.

• Those of us with enormous penii and testicles tend to be modest. Therefore that sort of information is usually only available on a "need to know" basis.

In other words, they could tell you, but then they'd have to kill you.

• Damn I never thought of that. Do you think they would tell me about them if I asked?

• BMI is retarded I would be disgusting if my fat percentage matched my BMI. I would be scrawny with litterally like 30 pounds of stomac. a lot of, if not most healthy female and male models should have like 2-3 times the percentage of body fat according to BMI. that girl was beyond obese

• I pasted it and it worked. in my oppinion she looked significant over weight, although maybe it was the shirt

• I think the links are messing up.. a piano lady and some other chick peeking through a door? keep popping up. try right-clicking and pasting it in the address bar.

• The second one and you can't even see the body on the first one

• Show Older
  • Im 5'11 and 159 pounds. Now I am going on a diet. =) I used to be 140 pounds, until I stopped working out.

• Yes I have too,

• You really don't neeed to lose any weight

• What is so bad about being 140 pounds back than? Today I am 160 but I hate it, I would like to be 150 or 155.

• Show Older
  • I think superficiality will always be present and it should be in the sense that it motivates people to care about their bodies instead of just eating whatever they want and not excersising. And despite all the effort to make fatness be accepted it's not at least in the US

• i competely argree! I mean people are not MEANT to be fat...in hunter gatherer days when natural selection was in effect more, they would not have made it

• Actually, people who had more fat stored on them would have lived longer.

• Im saying bcuz I'm fat, but who are we to judge wut people should or should not be

• I think it depends. The piano girl looks obese, but is not terrible. I don't understand how the girl in the 2nd photo has a higher BMI, but it does depend. Some people are just bigger, just like some people are smaller. People just have different body types. I mean I am 225 lbs and people tell me I look like I am about 190 (although I see flabiness all over). As for becoming too accepting, I don't know. I think it's the opposite. People have said my brother is fat as 5ft 11 185, but he looks fairly good. Yet girls say he's chunky. I think it's especially more so for girls though. I mean look at how many girls on this site think they are fat and look completely gorgeous and may just be 5 lbs overweight.

• Yea I think it depends on your frame... Some people just aren't made to be skinny.

• The woman with the piano is definitely obese, somewhat disgustingly so :-/

• I just saw the piano girl. I also saw a girl peeping through a door?

• Strange, it seems the link was redirecting me, after copying it and pasting it in my URL bar I get an entirely different picture.

• What piano?

• BMI is garbage.

• Fat dudes just have no confidence about their weight, plus if they're not trying to get into better shape they're also doing themselves another disservice. How could you want a woman who takes care of her body if you won't do the same. Gain some will power and courage, go to the gym, and eat right.

I'm a skinny person who has to eat as much as possible to keep my muscle weight. It's annoying as f***. All you guys gotta do is eat the right foods and a little cardio!

• I don't think I'm ever gonna find a girl as a fat guy and it sucks. It's not like that for underweight people in my opinion. Also underweight is more of a health risk than overweight.

• And as a fat guy you are so wrong on our society becoming accepting. It's the exact opposite.

• Too accepting? I think it's the exact opposite. People are shunned basically for being fat I feel for the most part. I am in really good shape and attractive, but my best friend for life gained a lot of weight in college and hasn't taken it off. He's a good looking guy and a great guy to be around, but I feel like everyone seems to only focus on his weight. Everyone wants someone "hot". Problem is that people forget that looks fade, but personality always stays the same. Do you think Ronnie or Sammi from Jersey Shore will be hot 10-15 years from now? Muscles turn to fat, and women USUALLY don't age as well as men. Everyone seems to be so focused on looking like those reality tv people. Its sad.

• Oh get over it. I'm saying: 'don't be really fat'. The rest of society is saying 'be really skinny'. The latter is a problem, the former is what every doctor would tell you.

• I already said that I agree with everything that you're saying, but I don't think that you understood my question correctly. That was probably my fault, so sorry about that. I've always said that personality matters more than looks. If you're gonna grow old with someone, then you should pick someone who's attractive on the inside rather than the outside because looks fade. When I said society in my question I meant everyone, not just those in the dating scene.

• Theizz, Your shallow way of thinking is exactly why people are self conscious. Good luck getting a keeper with that attitude.

• Show Older