How To Survive A Broken Heart

Heartbreak is something everyone goes through at least once in a lifetime. This is my process and how I deal with it.

Let out all your frustration

How To Survive A Broken Heart

Suppression isn't the way to go when it comes to healing a broken heart. The first and most important thing is to get all of it off your chest. Go to someone you know you can trust and let out all your frustrations.

Get in your feels

How To Survive A Broken Heart

Now that you've experienced the anger part of a heartbreak it's time to face the inevitable feelings of sadness. It's 2 am and you're stuck awake with a million thoughts, what do you do? Embrace it. Something bad happened and it hurt you. You have the right to cry and feel sad about it.

Juggling the anger and sadness that heartbreak comes with is a pain, but now it's time to focus on what you're going to do to get through it.

Listen to good music

How To Survive A Broken Heart

Skip the wallowing soundtrack. Listen to upbeat music that's going to make you feel better.

Be with friends

How To Survive A Broken Heart

You can go out or stay in with friends, but surrounding yourself with people is a great distraction.

Have a movie night

How To Survive A Broken Heart

When was the last time movie night didn't work? Pop some popcorn and queue up some good movies. Comedy never fails to get me out of a funk.

Eat your favorite foods

How To Survive A Broken Heart

You can't let one shitty thing stop you from remembering how amazing food is. It's time to enjoy your favorite guilty pleasure meals completely guilt free.

Things To Avoid Doing

1. Stay away from anything or one that reminds you of the person who hurt you. You'll never heal if you keep picking at this open wound.
2. Keep your venting off the internet. Save your future self the unnecessary clean up.
3. Don't jump into a new relationship. Relationships tend to stand a better chance if the feelings from the previous one were dealt with first.
4. Don't indulge in self destructive behavior. Self destruction never solved anything. Choose self care over destruction in any situation.
5. Don't let nostalgia have you feeling worse than you should. Nostalgia is quite the liar. It will have you remembering things as being way better than they ever were.

How To Survive A Broken Heart

1827

Most Helpful Guy

• Drink whiskey.
    Smoke cigars IN THE GODDAMN LIVING ROOM!
    Watch what YOU fuckin' want to watch on TV.
    FART PROUDLY!
    And never forget your dog.

Most Helpful Girl

• Just realize that it isn't "personal", they didn't like you because you are a worthless person. You didn't do anything wrong. They just didn't like you because you weren't the one for them... they chose wrong and they realized it. that's it. a lot of guys didn't like me... and it wasn't because I was the "bad" person without any love to give them... it was just because I wasn't the right "type" for them to want to marry. and realize also that your future isn't totally gone, just have to put in some works to finding someone new.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 26

• Prevention is better than cure; If you expect the worst you'll never be disappointed.

Or simply don't give anyone your heart in the first place.

• Just don't date at all or and don't get into any relationships at all, reinforce the negativity and negative beliefs or perhaps even nihilistic beliefs that you really don't even need to date or have a relationship at all as it really does not matter since you don't need them to live, unlike real necessities like food, water, shelter, etc.

No relationship is ever guaranteed to last, but people want to take chances with them because they believe that it is "important" to them and "meaningful" to them.

• @ghostqueen you got that right I suffered from great disappointments and let down from people I thought were my friends in real life before as well as other things I put so much and time and effort and focus on and they had also greatly disappointed me and let me down completely. So yes, you are correct, that also happens outside of romantic relationships.

• Being in a relationship is kind of like driving a car. Driving can be dangerous and even if you're a safe driver there are still other reckless drivers out there. And you don't wanna crash and die so you take certain safety precautions such as wearing your seat belt to make driving a little bit safer.

In a similar way, you don't want to get your heart broken so you should take precautionary measures while dating for example to prevent heart break from happening or at least to soften the blow.
      If you go into a relationship knowing that things might not work out and without crazy expectations, you won't be disappointed hence "Expect the worst".

And remember that most cars have more than one set of seat belts to ensure the safety of both the driver and the passengers. A shitty person could not only break your heart but for example your child who wants a mom or a dad.

I don't know if this shit makes any sense but whatever man

• Everyone needs a break up playlist. The Script, the Fray, Bonnie Raitt, Taylor Swift, or other artists along those lines. Let the emotion take you for a bit. Bottling it up will just overwhelm you later.

• Great advice and no question about the ending. You pick the best gifs for your takes - really adds to the words and experience.

• Some good suggestions, but I've found what works for me is talking to other women. Gets my mind of the one who broke my heart quickly (can just be friendly conversations).

• Your goal doesn't depend on a particular person. Either the other shares it or they don't, that simple.

If they do the details would be easy, if not the only option is to move to the next one.

• Thanks, I’ll keep things in mind as I’m dealing with a broken heart.

• Good points and a good take !! Will never apply to me anymore , as a single dad ... unless my own children rejected me.. THAT would hurt !!

• I have no heart so there is nothing to break 😛

Great Take as usual GQ 👍

• The thing is that sooner or later I lost my ambition regarding dating.

• I never dated anybody nor was I ever involved with anybody. And I choose to not get involved with anybody, because I don't want the possibility of ever getting upset, let down, disappointed, I rather spend my time and efforts on anything else that I rather be spending it on instead.

"Heartbreak is something everyone goes through at least once in a lifetime."

If it's the kind of "Heartbreaks" that are specifically and only for relationships and dating, then it never happened to me since I choose to never bother with them.

But even then there are times where I got deeply disappointed, let down and frustrated when things just didn't turn out the way I originally had anticipated or expected it to be. Someone can still be "heartbroken" over other things besides relationships, dating, etc. though is my point.

• Strange. In my nostalgia I could only remember the shit she was.

• Well don't know what to say about this

• Nice take

• Good job!

• Noice...

• I feel you😢

• Interesting myTake

• The passing of time will help heal it...

• Nice writing

• Thanks for sharing

• Great

• mine is broken

• Just go to sleep

• Really good take!

• Great mytake!!

• Get money , clap hoes

What Girls Said 17

• Even though I broke up with my boyfriend I’m feeling all of these things x100 xD except the eating I always have chips heart broken or not!
    Nice take cx

• A breakup is almost inevitable in any going-with-it relationship. It might be a blessing in diguise which saves you the time from spending it with the wrong person.

• I get you girl... you read my mind and heart

thank you

• Depends on the severity of the heartbreak. These are good tips tho.

• Love the gifs they explain life real well :)

• Thank you

• preach! XD

• Nice take! Great tips

• Really good take!

• music heals anything... also time

• You don't survive it you get over it.

• Love the second part about things to avoid doing!

• ya all need jeezaz. what a bunch of first world problems. modern narcissism unites people today its only normal the thing ends soon.

• Currently going through it. Only my support team is making me feel guilty for how I feel. Instead of just listening to me, they're actually making it worse.

• Dude, I'm real sorry you're grieving. It'll be better this way. Leaves room for new love.

• Good bunch of advice!!

• great take :)