Should I initiate contact with ex if I want them back?

My ex and I have been off and on for about a month. He was acting really distant and so I finally stopped responding to his texts. His last text just said hello and this was 3 days ago.

Every time we fight I always am trying to express my love for him so we can make up. But I don't know if I should do it this time. I want to see if he really wants me. I really want him back and want him to want me.

Should I wait it out a little longer so he can reach out to me again or should I just initiate contact?

11