Why does a man say 'I can't treat you how you deserve to be treated'?

Short and sweet, why would a man say that? Also accompanied with 'I just want you to be happy.'

38

Most Helpful Guy

• That's very positive and proof of goodwill. But why isn't he capable of it? Personnality or financial means? Or do you 'need' ('deserve') something impossible, beyond human reach?

You mentioned this already here: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1003198-he-asked-me-to-tell-him-i-loved-him-but-we-are-nothing

• Same man. He says he's not ready to give me what I deserve, I think in terms of giving himself fully to the relationship, but after the few wines it was all 'tell me you love me'. I have a feeling he's scared of getting hurt, as I sense some insecurity, but I'm not sure.

• Insecurity or other commitments (that may be a tyrannic mom). Time to have a long alk.

• Wow your answer has been so helpful. He does keep mentioning his mom, and needing to see her often, and how since his parents split she's never coped well and that it may have messed with her psychologically; I thought it was just an excuse and harsh thing to say about your mom, but now I have such a different perspective, thank you!