Do guys ever change their minds when they 'lose' a good thing and try to get it back?

Background:

We (He's 29, I'm 23) were dating for about three months and grew pretty close, even going away for a few weekends. Although I live about two hours away from him, I saw him about once a week. I'm leaving in less than a month (grad school), and he knew this as soon as we started dating. He is also supposed to be leaving for a different city in a month.

Over the weekend, he posted online that he went on a date with someone else. I told him I couldn't continue on and I didn't want to hear from him again because I deserve more respect (and why couldn't he wait another couple weeks until I'm gone?)

He decided to tell me the 'truth' that "if [I wasn't] leaving he would have already asked [me] to be exclusive because [he] really likes [me]. But [he] said [he'd] never do distance again."

Question:

Would a guy ever change his mind on dating someone over distance and realize he's letting something good go and act on it? Or does he just not see me as having that type of potential? And why tell me the 'truth' now?
Am I wrong to think that if he really liked me as much as he said he did, he'd be afraid to let me go and would be trying to figure out a way that we could continue and see what happens?

1617

Most Helpful Guy

• He probably likes you, but long distance when you're 29 doesn't make any sense.

• What do you mean it doesn't make any sense? I figured at that age it might make more sense...

• No, long distance is a younger person's thing. At that age he probably wants something serious. There is no security or guarantee in LDR's, and significantly less sex too