My Boyfriend's Divorced Parents?

My boyfriend and I have been going out for 15 months. His parents are divorced and have been since he was in second grade. I have only met his dad twice, and briefly, in this 15 months. I don't want to seem like I'm on his mom's side or anything, but I'm shy around his parents already, and not knowing his dad as well makes it seem sketchy. I don't know how to act around them. Do any of you have advice about how to act around your boyfriend or girlfriend's divorced parents?

Also, should I try to talk to my boyfriend about it? He doesn't like talking about his parents, but to me it feels like a big part of him that I know nothing about.

His emotions about his parents have caused problems between us a few times because when his parents fight, he retracts into himself and won't talk to anyone, so I thought he was trying to get rid of me. He won't tell me when things are going badly for him, but all I want is to be there for him. I know I can't fix anything or give him advice, but I feel so out of the loop as it is.

What do you all think?

01