If your bf/gf dumps you, but still wants to be friends, what will your approach be?

now i know this COULD change depending on why the breakup occurred in the first place.

ill make it the same for everyone: let's use clashing personalities as our example.

so they dump you, but still want u in their life as a friend. how will u react? will u stay or will u walk away?

• Yeh i'll stick around, because even tho he/she hurt me by breaking up, they're still worth my friendship
    Vote A
  • Pfftt… fuck it, I'm leaving. They ain't the only girl/guy in the world.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
wow, 15 responses later and its still pretty tight in this poll!

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• If it was a friends with benefits type thing, and no real emotional connection, then fine.

If there was an emotional connection, and we break up, then we are done, and there's no "being friends" in most cases, especially if either side still has feelings and wanted the relationship to continue. To be around the person in that situation is just torture, like a hungry man having to smell food cooking but not being allowed to eat - being around the smell only makes the hunger worse. Likewise, hanging out with a person I was once with and still want to be with, but can't have, is torture. That's why most guys make a clean break with a break-up: to avoid that constant reminder of what you want and can't have.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • i see, makes perfect sense. it would be pretty hard for u to b around her.
      if u dont mind me asking 1 more thing. what would u do in a situation where u can't avoid seeing her altogether?

• Then I would be polite/civil, but I'd generally keep my distance and not go out of my way to engage that person in conversation.

• a noble response, thank u. at least u still have the decency to b polite.

Most Helpful Girl

• It usually doesn't work out. I become stone cold and tell them where to go. There's no point in being friends with an ex and it'd always cause arguments. It's also a gateway for them to question every single guy you talk to without looking really weird and paranoid.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• That's so weak saying 'lets be friends' - I dragged you through the dirt, now I want you to stand there and watch while I go get filled in by other men... but still be there to give me the moral support I need whenever I'm down. 'friend'.

0|1
    0|0
  • When she breaks up with me it was either impulse or well thought of.

I'd stick around for sure and no changes whatsoever in my behavior except I obviously won't be the usual cuddling and kissing types cause obviously she won't want it that way :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Didn't work out with my ex, but that was because she couldn't stop talking shit. I had to basically kick her out of my life for like a year and a half.

I guess it depends how hard the break up is. But most likely, I'll just stop seeing her as often.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely A. I've maintained friendships with the girls I dated. They both ended not by a big fight or anything so it wasn't all that difficult of a fit to become friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no idea. It would depend on the girl, why we broke up, if I had other friends, if we could be friends or not. Never been in that situation so its harder for me to say.

0|0
    0|0
  • maybe friends later on down the road, but I would cut off all contact until some time has passed. However, if they started to talk to me I would respond back.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah if it's because of clashing personalities I may stick around, but if u were deeply into her this would be a problem u know people hiting oh her and stuff

0|0
    0|0
    • definitely, totally understandable.

• The only time i have been friends with any of my ex's is after i have someone new i am serious about. But its a recommended to keep distance. But the cut all connections helps.

0|0
    0|0
    • oh ok thats interesting. yeh i get the distance thing. in most cases it's needed.

• If its for a good reason, than im ok with friendship but if its for sum dumb cheating reasons, than she's outta ma life forever and ever.

0|0
    0|0
    • totally understandable. thanks Key=]

• Show All
    • Right maybe i juz need to eat a banana along the way as well x)

• haha, yeh it'll make u feel alottt better:)

• Fuck that shit. If we break up, all relations are cut.

0|0
    0|0
  • I always try to stay friends since most of my girl friends were good friends before I dated em.

0|0
    0|0
  • No unless they were a top gf but usually if they were you wouldn't break up. So no they can find other friends to help them out with things

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm too sexy for her so she couldn't stand it

0|0
    0|0
    • haha how modest of u:P

• I've only had one girlfriend and she dumped me (well she kind of took the ignore me for a year until I got the message aproach) for various reasons which she didn't tell me but we are still friends now, because I still care about her

0|0
    0|0
    • hmm=/
      but i admire ur attitude. us women can be very confusing like that… i hate that about us lol

What Girls Said 7

• i stay friends with all my exs. just because we broke up doesn't mean we can't stay friends. we started as friends, why can't we end with friends right? >:[
    we dont talk everyday anymore. but when we see each other, we talk about random shit like we've always did.

0|0
    0|0
    • well yeh thats good for u:) unfortunately for most people this is hard. but ur lucky=]

• not really. sometimes it gets awkward. but i like how they try to be cool about it.
      one asked to see my tattoo. i said nope. he was like, "ive seen you naked already! just take it off!" HAHAHAH
      then another time i started saying how its too hot outside, "because you're here"
      most girls wouldve just ignored an ex like that. but i didn't see it as flirting or anything. to me, he was just trying to break the awkward phase. i like it. bf doesn't mind me hanging with these people too.

• If the breakup wasn't a bad one then I'd be okay with upholding a friendship. I mean our personalities clashed, I understand that. It just didn't work out. Oh wells.

0|0
    0|0
  • We could be friends...after a few years of not talking.

0|0
    0|0
    • yeh sometimes its hard to talk again till much later, i get what u mean

• Vote b. I close the chapter and move, and the only way to move fast is not to keep in contact

0|0
    0|0
  • Fuck it lmao. He can go be friends with his mom.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would do what's best for me. I don't care how much an ex wants to be my friend. If we dated for a month or something I'm sure little feelings would remain. But I truly find being friends with an ex doesn't help anyone let go or fully move on, and I simply cannot live in the past.

0|0
    0|0
    • yeh sometimes u need to do whats best for u. in situations like this we want to b a little selfish i guess

• No fuck you suck my left labia

0|0
    0|0
    • pfft haha. not worthy of sucking the right one huh?:P

• Show All
    • ahaha, u legend.

• Lol I try, I try.

Recommended myTakes