Guys - Is this the best advice you ever heard?

A friend who's been through a lot of therapy said this to me... "Make sure the girl you marry has a good relationship with her father". Everything is so clear to me now

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• You know, I think this can be true if the woman has not chosen to heal past wounds and become a better person. As someone who did not have a healthy relationship with my own father, I can attest to the damage it does and the scars it leaves.. You don't trust, you have anger and resentment towards the opposite gender and this anger and resentment surfaces it's ugly little head when you try to get into a relationship.
    That said, you CAN work through your issues and heal old wounds even if your father doesn't change or is no longer around. It's a choice to deal with the pain and baggage that having a bad relationship with your father, as a woman, brings. You can overcome it like any other issue in life.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• I mean sure, a girl with daddy issues might be difficult to deal with in some cases, but that doesn't mean that all girls with daddy issues are not worth dating. There are definitely exceptions.

1|1
    0|0
    • Because why do you need to be married to spend your life with a person anyway? It comes with tons of legal restrictions. Messy ones.

• I've heard way too many guys bitching and moaning about divorce and losing money/houses/cars/children. No thanks :P

• That argument can be made. But because I cannot guarantee that I will be a lucky one (divorce rate in Canada is 40% ish), I won't even bother.

• I've heard 'make sure he has a good relationship with his mother or sisters' or 'watch how he treats his mother'
    I guess that's essentially the same thing.

0|1
    0|0
  • i think this goes both ways! people have always told me that the way a guy is with his mother shows how he'll treat his gf/wife

0|1
    0|0
  • It is good advice, and it works visa versa also. "Make sure the guy you marry has/had a good relationship with his mother"

0|1
    0|0
  • Same idea as if a man treats treats his mother well he'll treat his wife well. I think there's more to it, but essentially it makes sense.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've heard the opposite, "Make sure the guy you date has a good relationship with his mother" but not to much that he is a mama's boy.

0|1
    0|0
  • It all depends on your parents. You can take how you want though

0|1
    0|0
  • Not really. It all depends on the girl and the father. Not all fathers are saints

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• lol noob advice. The real advice is never marry at all.

0|2
    1|0
    • I never understood why. Is it because you can't commit, or you don't want the marriage to fail?

• Show All
    • Because they're probs idiots who didn't choose their wife carefully enough. Or maybe they were too immature for a marriage :p

• @oppaoppa. You ain't wrong either.

• That sounds decent. My dad told me a good bit of advice in terms of relationships that he got from his mother: "Don't shit on your doorstep."

0|0
    0|0
  • Good advice but does't work for all and in all situations.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes