Why do guys break up with women when the relationship is going well?

My boyfriend of 6 months recently broke up with me out of the blue. He had been coming on strong the last two months and I was thrilled (he is 50, I am 38, we are not kids here, fyi).I am his first relationship since his divorce 1 1/2 years ago. He is a struggling artist and living in NYC (gave up corporate life and a a cushy lifestyle to focus on his art). The last time we saw each other, I brought him to the town I grew up in, a very affluent town in CT. We passed by my Dads house and he saw his Mercedes in the driveway. After that, he didn't call me for a week and when he did, he broke up with me, saying he wasn't "feeling it" and that our lifestyles were very different. I was shocked. I have a few ideas here but any thoughts?

05

Most Helpful Guy

• It sounds like he was feeling inferior due to his financial situation.He knows what having money feels like, but the corp world is just so brutal, sometimes it is not worth it.I would guess he has no plans to return to that life and feels that he could not live up to your expectations.You may have said something unconsciously during the trip like you wish that you had a house like that/wanted to live in a posh neighborhood, etc.Tell him you love him for who he is, not what he has.

• Thank you, that is exactly what I think. I didn't say anything about wanting a big house or anything but I told him that a male friend of mine who is a trust fund kid was going to hire me to work at one of his companies since I am unemployed. That was probably it. Plus I have a 12 year old son (he had no kids) and in the end, this was just not the life he wanted.