Did my ex manipulated me or was he sincere?

We were on a relationship for about 10 months, and it was really good at first. Eventually, we started having some issues because he will still be coping with some anger he had towards his ex (apparently).
This lead to me breaking up with him, he then insulted me and immediately started hanging out with a new girl. A few months after this he contacted me to apologize for the insults. He told me I was the love of his life, but that he couldn't be the man I deserved. I wanted to know why he was telling me this... Then he confessed to me that after the fling he had with that girl after our break up, he slept with his ex (the one we had issues about when we were together). I asked him if he tried to get back together with her and he said that he didn't, that it was only casual. He had a new girlfriend while he was telling me all this stuff.
I took him back and he broke things with the current girl. 3 weeks after our reconciliation he told me that even when he admired me a lot and thought he was making a mistake it was to break up. He even told me that maybe I was the love of his life but that we didn't do it right the first time and that it was too late. He tried to be friends but I refused. He even gave me the "you deserve way better" line. Do you think he was sincere?

Help please! :(

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• It sounds like he isn't being sincere and doesn't have your best interest at heart. He's taking advantage of you because he thinks you'll always take him back. The fact that he was still dealing with his ex shows a complete lack of respect for you and your relationship, and insulting you? He's horrible. Guys only come back when things with the new girls aren't going well, and that's probably what happened with him. Omg and sex with his ex? He was absolutely right, you deserve way better. Take his advice; and don't let him take advantage of you again! I know this all too well from experience.

• You're right, but at some point I still doubt.
      I was no doormat cause I was the first gf who ever set boundaries to him, and he had to "work" too for the relationship. But the time I broke up when him he turned into a jerk and I must have followed that fact... Thanks for the advice : )

• Yeah, it happens. But whatever you do, just make sure you always have those boundaries and NEVER let him even think of taking advantage of you. You give them an inch, they take a mile. You're welcome!

• Yes, you deserve better, but he is gone for good. I really hope you keep him away.
    You're relationship was toxic. He wasn't being honest with you. It was really unfair that he'll take his anger toward his ex on you. This guy lives in the past, and it's obvious he won't change any time soon. Don't worry about the past. Move on and find someone that does deserve you.